Anybody on LinkedIn?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anybody on LinkedIn?

Well, I've been on it for about 20 years. It's a professional site. But I rarely did anything with it. It was never any help for finding a job when I needed one. But it has this forum on it which normally posted professional type stuff. But I started seeing all this Christian stuff and pro Trump stuff being posted. So I put in my negative comments. Making fun of religion and ripping into Trump. Someone even thanked me for being the first one to speak out against Trump. Then I started seeing a lot more anti Trump posts up there. I guess I started a trend.

Then I stared getting "likes" and people that want to join my network. Well some of these people are beautiful women that are about 1/2 my age. A few of them have messaged me and now I find myself messaging back and forth. But one did want my phone number. It's all been pretty innocent though, nothing flirty because if they asked, I let them know I'm in a relationship and live with my girlfriend. Besides that, all these women live hundreds of miles away from me anyway so even if I were available it wouldn't amount to dating anyway. But it's just funny how these beauties have contacted me out of the blue. I couldn't meet women that looked like that when I was half my age.

One ring to mash them all
    Sure that's not "LinkedIn" but rather "HookedUp?"
    "Thousands of you may die…it is what it is." - Lord Farkwad

Real eyes realize real lies.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Bots or fake accounts trying to build relationships to ask for money later?
    dang

Your bike sucks
    You'd be a fool not to wire these women some money for travel immediately.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

2019 Patrol for sale

mtbr member
    None of these woman have been asking for anything. But I would never send money to anyone. I'm not a sucker for that.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    None of these woman have been asking for anything. But I would never send money to anyone. I'm not a sucker for that.
    I'm not saying you're a sucker. Just saying this is how that all starts. My wife's uncle damn near sent a few $$$$ to his "russian girlfriend" a couple of years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if both sides of the political aisle had bots on that forum originating from one common group.
    dang

Einstein visa or GTFO.

poser Administrator
    Well, I've been on it for about 20 years. It's a professional site. But I rarely did anything with it. It was never any help for finding a job when I needed one. But it has this forum on it which normally posted professional type stuff. But I started seeing all this Christian stuff and pro Trump stuff being posted. So I put in my negative comments. Making fun of religion and ripping into Trump. Someone even thanked me for being the first one to speak out against Trump. Then I started seeing a lot more anti Trump posts up there. I guess I started a trend.

Then I stared getting "likes" and people that want to join my network. Well some of these people are beautiful women that are about 1/2 my age. A few of them have messaged me and now I find myself messaging back and forth. But one did want my phone number. It's all been pretty innocent though, nothing flirty because if they asked, I let them know I'm in a relationship and live with my girlfriend. Besides that, all these women live hundreds of miles away from me anyway so even if I were available it wouldn't amount to dating anyway. But it's just funny how these beauties have contacted me out of the blue. I couldn't meet women that looked like that when I was half my age.
    Linkedin is the high school of social media, where everyone flexes hard because they have accomplishments. It is the kid in high school with the cool car, the letterman jacket, the head of the football team, and head cheerleader all wrapped up in a kid that will get out high school realized he peaked in high school and get a job cleaning highways for the rest of his miserable life.

That said it makes sense to keep you profile clean and updated and when starting to search for jobs, get in there and post some stuff about your desired career path. When they search you during pre-interview vetting, you want your Linkedin to show up and look like you are a good choice.

That said once you are hired you can stop pretending like you care about linkedin. It is a sad place to hang out, people on there are actively marketing themselves because they are looking for work or can't find work and just starting to freak out about it.

I don't get catfished like your experience but I get serious amounts of headhunters tracking me down through linkedin, including those that call me directly at work. I also work in an industry where my specifying a product could get a company millions of dollars so I get a lot of product solicitations and then I get so so many solicitations from China for rendering work. So many. No catfishing though, so far.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    ^^
    All my profile has is just my resume. One said she liked my profile and I responded with that fact.

Well, as of today two of these ladies want to "meet" with me on Google Hangouts. Hell, I've never even been there.

poser Administrator
    ^^
    All my profile has is just my resume. One said she liked my profile and I responded with that fact.

Well, as of today two of these ladies want to "meet" with me on Google Hangouts. Hell, I've never even been there.
    Wow! Truly a weird occurrence, let us know how this goes!
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Wow! Truly a weird occurrence, let us know how this goes!
    Wait what is your resume? are you Brad Pitt? Matthew McConaughey? That might explain a lot.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You should not trust any women who try to flirt on LinkedIn. This is supposed to be a job search site instead of tinder.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    You should not trust any women who try to flirt on LinkedIn. This is supposed to be a job search site instead of tinder.
    Lots of "job" offers on tinder.

Edit: Erm, so I've heard…

NDD
    mtbr member
    Show em yer meat, boss.
    dang

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Sure that's not "LinkedIn" but rather "HookedUp?"
    LinkedUp?

HookedIn?

Yeah, I'm on it; really don't like that crap much but it seems to be a must have in the business world. It seems it's more about who is the best BSer than anything else. For years is was about getting the biggest network and everyone just asked anyone to connect. I normally don't connect with anyone I don't know. But in my particular occupation, it's more about your portfolio.

When I was let go from a major corporation they paid for a class on resume building. It was actually pretty good but it played to the whole game of building up your resume with a lot of stuff you accomplished and listing numbers. Most anything you can say is probably based on a whole team's work and of course it's easy to lie. I found out one job I was applying to had also been applied to by a coworker who was let go when I was. I found his resume (I think on LinkedIn) and he claimed how he had save the company millions of dollars. So I'm thinking, would anyone hire him based on his resume when he's basically claiming he saved his former employee millions of dollars and yet they cut him (he was only there one year)? But I think they did.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member

I am quite cautious. I think some may be legit while others are just scammers. I've been messaging with one for about two weeks and it's just chit chat and about stuff we're interested in.

Cycologist
    I am quite cautious. I think some may be legit while others are just scammers. I've been messaging with one for about two weeks and it's just chit chat and about stuff we're interested in.
    Hell, "she" may be Picard for all you know! Has "she" mentioned a red speedo?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

High Desert MTBer
    I've been on Linkedin for quite a few years now, and it is very good for the music business. Never had to use it for jobs, but it is good for networking (I hate that word), with others in my biz.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Gangstas gonna make you they bitch......
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    (I hate that word)
    Hey now!
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Hell, "she" may be Picard for all you know! Has "she" mentioned a red speedo?
    heyhey. don't get confused here

Straight out tha traila
    Ok I get it, Christian hating Trump bashers make easy gullible targets for scammers, gotcha! In all seriousness I had a friend that had this go on for years, poor guy sent "her" quite a bit of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

mtbr member
    I just had another one say she wants to "meet" on Google Hangouts. I'm not bothering with that. I've never even been to Google Hangouts. I really don't care about any of these women anyway. I'm not going to Google Hangouts. I've never been to it before either.

Cycologist
    I just had another one say she wants to "meet" on Google Hangouts. I'm not bothering with that. I've never even been to Google Hangouts. I really don't care about any of these women anyway. I'm not going to Google Hangouts. I've never been to it before either.
    Do it but be sure you wear the mask in your avatar.

mtbr member
    I had linkedin when I was quiting the mechanic shop. I don't use it, I cancelled my account and still get crap from them. To me it was pretty worthless. But I don't do corporate work, other than crappy costco I have only worked for local small biz.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Ok I get it, Christian hating Trump bashers make easy gullible targets for scammers, gotcha! In all seriousness I had a friend that had this go on for years, poor guy sent "her" quite a bit of money.
    Oh c'mon, in my anecdote it was a faux christian (southern baptist) trump lover that almost sent a bunch of money to "her". Wife's stepmom works at a bank and another that fits the description sent a lot of money. Horny old guys will do anything to have plausible denial that they're just old men. It is universal.
    dang

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Since you are unsure how all this stuff works why don't you ask your live-in girlfriend for help?

Open your eyes dumbass it's a scam, you have nothing that these "women" want except an ability to be easily separated from your money.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

Straight out tha traila
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Oh c'mon, in my anecdote it was a faux christian (southern baptist) trump lover that almost sent a bunch of money to "her". Wife's stepmom works at a bank and another that fits the description sent a lot of money. Horny old guys will do anything to have plausible denial that they're just old men. It is universal.
    I was just trying to get a rise out of Zomby for the Christian/Orange man dig. My friend I was talking about was going through a lonliness phase I believe, he hadn't had a girlfriend in quite a while and just wanted to believe "she" was real. These scammers are very smart!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

mtbr member
    Anyway, I think these women seem to be fizzling out. One just told me that I can download the app. I told her I wasn't going to do it. She asked why? I said this is all just a waste of time.

Cycologist
    If you have an Android phone, it probably came on it. And on your computer, if you have a gmail account, you already have it, it's just part of the g-suite, along with docs, sheets, mail, maps, etc.

Probably some hot Russian vixen who will eventually ask you for money to buy a plane ticket so she can come visit her Zomby Womby and make mad passionate love.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    it probably came on it.
    That's what she said!

it's just part of the g-suite
    That's what she said!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Anyway, I think these women seem to be fizzling out. One just told me that I can download the app. I told her I wasn't going to do it. She asked why? I said this is all just a waste of time.
    This is definitely scammer. She wants you to download Spyware

mtbr member
    The voice of reason in this thread is Picard. Stunning.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

9 lives
    I agree with Picard

And Scott O
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

No known cure
    I'm on linkedin, but only to get unsuspecting women to send me money for bike parts and beer.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I'm on linkedin, but only to get unsuspecting women to send me money for bike parts and beer.
    And they give me jobs.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    I keep getting contacts from LinkedIn -- job offers, professionals wanting to contact me, etc.

The problem is I never signed up. Someone started an account for me without my knowledge or consent.

I am retired. I don't care about that career stuff anymore.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    How do you persuade women to send you bike parts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    She might be a romulan spy who tries to infiltrate human population.

BEWARE OF TAO SHIA YAR SPIES

psycho cyclo addict
    I've been on there since 2007. I has turned into a full-on wankfest since the Microsoft acquisition in my opinion.

The main reason I'm still on there is that even legit recruiters cruise around looking for candidates. Two jobs and one excellent opportunity that I ended up turning down (major relocation and other reasons) came from there. Also use it to keep tabs on people I've met and worked with throughout my career.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

mtbr member
    I try to maintain my My Space account as much as possible in case of impending lay-offs.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

9 lives
    You're lucky. I get requests from "engineers " and "CEOs" from the middle east asking to join my network {cringe + snicker}
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    This is definitely scammer. She wants you to download Spyware

In fact I then replied to her and told her about the other three women that have been messaging me for the same thing and I know all about these scams.