Anybody into XCD/Nordic BC skiing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anybody into XCD/Nordic BC skiing?

I mentioned it to someone on another thread, but I'm always dying to ask because I'm a bit cuckoo for this type of skiing.

I've done XC track skiing and I've done Alpine DH skiing, but this is by far my favorite... it's kind of in between - the skis are slower than track skis and don't turn as well as DH skis. It's not really what most people think of when you say Telemark, that has evolved into it's own thing, and it's not what most people think of when you say XC, that's more people skating around in spandex on groomed trails or kicking and gliding in groomed tracks. This is the weird in-between that no one seems to know about, but it's actually a lot like mountain biking. Where and what I ski is a lot of the same terrain I ride a bike on.

This my quiver - all skis are metal edged like DH skis but range from long, straight and skinny to shorter and fatter. Like tires on a bike the skinnies are for covering ground that is flat or graded (better striding and gliding) and fat is more for steeper terrain (better climbing and turning). Wider tends to be better for softer, deeper snow and narrower for consolidated snow or broken tracks.

Anybody into XCD/Nordic BC skiing?-15890_831182646948864_4666371202752298773_n.jpg
    Anybody into XCD/Nordic BC skiing?-11021200_831182530282209_2053560672917137509_n.jpg

I got my wife into it too and we spend most of free time in winter skiing it up. It doesn't cost a damn thing after you get the gear (and you don't need as much as I have). Some people do ski on stuff like this at resorts to get practice handling hills, but really it's not it's purpose - it's more about getting to wild snow, getting off the beaten track and skiing natural terrain - skiing out in the wilderness can be a real technical challenge.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

mtbr member

Anybody into XCD/Nordic BC skiing?

I'm a big skier, but coming from Ontario Canada, there aren't any big mountains. I've always wanted to do A-T skiing, almost like what you do, just using a downhill ski, and special bindings, almost like tellemark.

I take a yearly trip to Quebec to ski, and all we ski is the glade runs, and we go off resort, but it's just not the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    I mentioned it to someone on another thread, but I'm always dying to ask because I'm a bit cuckoo for this type of skiing.

I've done XC track skiing and I've done Alpine DH skiing, but this is by far my favorite... it's kind of in between - the skis are slower than track skis and don't turn as well as DH skis. It's not really what most people think of when you say Telemark, that has evolved into it's own thing, and it's not what most people think of when you say XC, that's more people skating around in spandex on groomed trails or kicking and gliding in groomed tracks. This is the weird in-between that no one seems to know about, but it's actually a lot like mountain biking. Where and what I ski is a lot of the same terrain I ride a bike on.

This my quiver - all skis are metal edged like DH skis but range from long, straight and skinny to shorter and fatter. Like tires on a bike the skinnies are for covering ground that is flat or graded (better striding and gliding) and fat is more for steeper terrain (better climbing and turning). Wider tends to be better for softer, deeper snow and narrower for consolidated snow or broken tracks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15890_831182646948864_4666371202752298773_n.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	996893
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11021200_831182530282209_2053560672917137509_n.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	996894

I got my wife into it too and we spend most of free time in winter skiing it up. It doesn't cost a damn thing after you get the gear (and you don't need as much as I have). Some people do ski on stuff like this at resorts to get practice handling hills, but really it's not it's purpose - it's more about getting to wild snow, getting off the beaten track and skiing natural terrain - skiing out in the wilderness can be a real technical challenge.
    If my eyes serve me correctly that set of Fischers on the right have a 3pin setup no? Voile bindings?
    I've skiied on NNNBC for several years now and am 3pin curious. How do you like that setup?

mtbr member
    Yes - the wider Fischer S Bounds (98s to be precise) have Voile 3 Pins. Love them - gives you a bit more control of the ski vs the NNN/BC, especially on something wider. I started off skiing pins way back when I was kid on XC skis - I skied some really long trad XC skis for a while with regular NNN then when I got more into ungroomed skiing I went to back to pins. Now I only use them on the fat skis - I find the NNN/BC to be a pretty good compromise on the narrower skis with proper boots - good kick and glide and I don't feel like I'm going to die down most hills.

The S Bounds are really a pretty aggressive sidecut ski, and they like to turn, so for tougher terrain or doing yo-yo skiing on small hills they are pretty fun with the pins and some stiff leather, or light plastic boots. My wife uses Scott Excursion boots for that kind of stuff, which is basically a really light, two-buckle tele boot. It still flexes well enough to kick and glide -

This is her quiver and boots - she doesn't like NNN/BC, not enough control for her:

Anybody into XCD/Nordic BC skiing?-10014905_831182643615531_3376662198290408715_n.jpg
    Anybody into XCD/Nordic BC skiing?-11043198_831182420282220_7708315203785295615_n.jpg
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.