mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Anybody else put groceries on layaway?

It started with a simple task - I need to get something at the post office. It's only 3 blocks away so I can just grab my keys and walk there. I step outside and it's like 98F and 90% humidity.

Change of plans - I'm going to drive so I don't have to shower after a 10 minute walk in the soup mix.

So I'm driving toward the post office with the AC blaring and remember that I'm almost out of cereal so I might as well stop at the store while I have the car out.

I stop at the store, load up a bunch of crap, and unload at the checkout. The girl rings me up, bags it, and then tells me the total. Doh! No wallet. So I have no ID, no driver's license, no money ... just a set of keys. That's all the original plan required. But the right hand changed plans and didn't let the left hand know so it could grab my wallet.

Oops! They put my entire cart in the walk-in reefer until I came back to pay. Usually I'm easily embarrassed about this kind of thing but I had a good time with it.

Me: "Hi, I'm here to pick up my groceries. They're on layaway."

Anybody else get themselves into this pickle?

banned
    I've had that oh-**** moment several times, reaching for my wallet at checkout and coming up empty.

Have not done the layaway thing. The last time I did it I went and put all the groceries* back.

* - A bomber each of Ballast Point Tongue Buckler and Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous ales.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    The last time I did it I went and put all the groceries* back.
    I've done that too - load up the cart and realize it before checkout. Here's what you can do (or at least what I did) - I just found a low traffic section (near the bakery in my store) and just abandoned the cart there. I drove home, got the wallet, came back and there the cart was. I kind of wandered over toward the cart like I was checking prices or something and then just got behind the wheel and drove the cart off. I did do an inventory check to make sure some kid didn't put a box of tampons in there or something.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I do that..I have my minions load up at whatever store and we have a manager put the cart aside until I come to pay for it with the purchase card when I get roundtuit.

mtbr member
    I worked in a grocery store in high school and college. This happens everyday, usually several times a day.
    My local store's registers have function to save a complete order until I return with my wallet. The cashier rings up the groceries like normal, then saves the order for later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've done this before and typically everybody is cool about it. I would be curious to know if this happens more to guys as compared to women.

9 lives
    I haven;t been caught short... but it could be possible.

What I have seen at the grocery store check out: someone paying in change for over$100 in groceries and on another occasion someone in the line robbing the cashier
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've forgotten my wallet in my car once or twice before. Cashier puts it aside, I run out like an idiot to grab my wallet.

psycho cyclo addict
    Yup- been there done that (walletus forgetus). I guess it happens more often than one might think.

mtbr member
    I did this just a few weeks ago, actually. Everything was rung up, bagged, and in the cart. Luckily I live close by and I could just call my husband and have him bring it pretty quickly. The really cool part-I just handed the printout back to the cashier and she scanned the bar code at the bottom. Everything re-rang without having to touch any of it. Voila. I didn't even know they could do that but I guess, why would I, it's never happened before. I love technology.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

Titanium junkie
    Filled up my van with 80.00 worth of gas, forgot my wallet.
    The next hour was not funny, glad I new the cop who showed up.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    Oh man. I always use the CC swipe before I pump so I hope I never get into that situation.

OK, here's another variation. More than a decade ago I pulled up at the Wendy's drive-thru and there's was a line up of cars ahead and behind me. I get to the squawk box and give my order. I pull forward a little to let the next car place their order while I dig around for the money. No wallet! So I just jump out of line and high tail it out of there.

I did feel bad for those poor bastards behind me in line who didn't check their orders before driving off. And, I can just picture the teen cashier holding one last bag of food while they're looking out the drive-thru window wondering where the last guy got to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think all this works out much better if you live in a small town and know everybody.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skullcap View Post
    I did this just a few weeks ago, actually. Everything was rung up, bagged, and in the cart. Luckily I live close by and I could just call my husband and have him bring it pretty quickly. The really cool part-I just handed the printout back to the cashier and she scanned the bar code at the bottom. Everything re-rang without having to touch any of it. Voila. I didn't even know they could do that but I guess, why would I, it's never happened before. I love technology.
    Lucky you that you could call someone. I didn't have a phone nor anyone to call anyway.

Yeah, they saved my order in the system too and then just popped it up on the customer service register when I returned. While it's nice, I hope to never use that "convenience" again.

Afric Pepperbird
    I once walked out of Capitol Market Foods with a steak stuffed down my pants, whilst in a near drunken stupor. Does that count as "layaway"?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I once walked out of Capitol Market Foods with a steak stuffed down my pants, whilst in a near drunken stupor. Does that count as "layaway"?
    I'm no lawyer but I believe the correct legal parlance for that situation is called "Five Finger Discount". There might also have been a secondary infraction called "Agricultural Assault 1" depending on the proximity of the steak in relation to particular parts of your anatomy.

You might want to consult with a legal attorney and I would recommend staying away from the deli counter - for everyone's benefit.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I once walked out of Capitol Market Foods with a steak stuffed down my pants.
    Now you know how I feel everyday.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have done the opposite. Twice I've gone into the store and paid for
    something, and left my wallet there. Only to get home and go to take it
    out of my pocket and it not be there. Lucky for me when I went back the
    store had it.

Best, John

"2 Wycked"
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    Now you know how I feel everyday.
    I believe he said steak, not shrimp.
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yesterday my wife and ordered some takeout food and didn't notice the "cash only" sign; so the owner let us leave with our food and we went back later in the day and paid him. He'd never seen us before as we're new in town, yet trusted us to return.

I hope everyone has a place in their town this cool - I think it speaks well for a community. This is a town of about 7,500 by the way.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    I'm no lawyer but I believe the correct legal parlance for that situation is called "Five Finger Discount". There might also have been a secondary infraction called "Agricultural Assault 1" depending on the proximity of the steak in relation to particular parts of your anatomy.

You might want to consult with a legal attorney and I would recommend staying away from the deli counter - for everyone's benefit.
    I beg to differ, I believe the proper term is "Six Finger Discount", with the two pinky enhancement.

mtbr member
    ...While it's nice, I hope to never use that "convenience" again.

Yeah, me too!
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Bump ...

Cause I just did it again. This time ... I just moved to Tucson and went to Ba-Dar for the first time to get my Hunan on. I ordered and then discovered I had nothing but keys.

I told the waitress when she brought my soup over and she went and talked with the owner. She came back and said to eat first and then come back to pay. I came back later and the bill was $7.09 so I just gave her a ten spot and told her to keep the change.

I need to get a new "system" going at my new place so this doesn't happen again.

Afric Pepperbird
    Bump ...

Cause I just did it again. This time ... I just moved to Tucson and went to Ba-Dar for the first time to get my Hunan on. I ordered and then discovered I had nothing but keys.

I told the waitress when she brought my soup over and she went and talked with the owner. She came back and said to eat first and then come back to pay. I came back later and the bill was $7.09 so I just gave her a ten spot and told her to keep the change.

I need to get a new "system" going at my new place so this doesn't happen again.
    Alzheimer's?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    They don't allow perishables on layaway here.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    Nice to see that there are still places that will let you put gas in your tank w/o paying in advance.

Members who have read this thread: 0