Anybody else enjoy computer dumpster diving?- Mtbr.com
    ~ B A D A S S ~

Anybody else enjoy computer dumpster diving?

I do at least. As soon as someone throws out a computer at work I open it up and determine what it is, sometimes its worth the effort.

Like a month or so ago someone had thrown out 3 dell core 2 duos 2,9ghz stationary computers. Sure all the rams were missing and for some odd reason the psus also. but other than that, no problems with these. These are from 2011 so still fairly new and if you only surfing and do mundane sh1t like almost all people use computer for these are almost overkill. Yeah sure I built 2 really expensive high end boxes last year for music production (one for my living room and one for the bedroom). But for general use, I'm gonna use the dells. The will be replacing slightly older computers.

Before I built those 2 new boxes I didn't pay for computers since 2004. And I still have that 2,8ghz p4, with all the 512mb ram and 128mb graphics card, I think I'm gonna use it as my main for a week or 2.

I have no idea why people actually throw out computers. They are usually seriously overkill for several years and even when they are like 10 years old theyt still work fairly well for most tasks. I mean for music and/or video production they last 2-3 years but for everything else they last like 5-7 at least. I think I have about 10 computers now and for fun I'm gonna switch to a q6600 quad soon in my living room. All parts on it was for free. seems to work well. Had 2 rams it didn't like ("lead free solder whiskers"). fuk, this shit could run for hundreds of years.

Anybody else bring old computers to life??
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Most of the time an ssd will make a slow computer fast like new

EMBA Member
    I've rebuilt several old (2004 vintage) computers at work. Add an SSD, ram them up as much as they will hold, and load Windows 7. I've also added video cards to accommodate dual monitors. The people I deployed them to were thrilled to get them and are very happy with the performance. Little do they know the computer I gave them is what they had before, improved as described above.

Some of the really old computers around the office will not recognize an SSD, even after updating to the most recent BIOS update (which in some cases is an update from 2007), and these same machines also will not accept Windows 7. Motherboards are too dang old I guess. I saved two of these really old machines just in case we ever need an XP machine. The other really old computers have been recycled.

For MS Office programs, e-mail, web surfing, and running accounting software, these machines work extremely well.

Most of our computers have Intel motherboards. I've found that the motherboard model 945's and up can be upgraded as described, but the Intel boards that are older than that will not accept SSD's or Windows 7.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Even just installing a new OS on a new disc seems to make the old stuff run like premium new stuff. I just run linux now since it feels snappier. Its less bloated. But so far nothing seems to beat old xp for pure reaction time and "getting shit done fast when you press a mouse button". I have tried some cheap ass nividia silent cards (fanless) , seasonic fanless psus, and only running one single very slow turning 120mm fan for the cpu cooler and this works great, and it makes the computers almost completely silent. I even did that in 2004. I like silence. At least from computers.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    What dumpsters are you diving in? I never see people toss computer equipment at my office building. Typically stuff like that goes to the E-waste place.

I have however done some "recycling" of older machines. Did a massive POS roll-out last year for my client and was able to re-use a bunch of older workstations, many of which only have 512MB ram and winXP, Maxed them to 4GB (motherboard limitation), wiped the HDD and installed Win 7 pro and good as new. I have had the mis-fortune of one Power Supply going out and just last week a motherboard died, but I kept about 5 of them for parts and a quick move of the HDD and RAM into a "new" chassis with a good motherboard and away we go.

I do agree that too many places just replace everything instead of giving older hardware new life. I even refurbed an older Linksys Router with the DD-WRT Firmware. Works great.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sometimes rolling out new machines with custom images is cheaper and easier than reloading old machines.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Sometimes rolling out new machines with custom images is cheaper and easier than reloading old machines.
    In my case, I work for a small company using outsourced IT as needed. If we had to pay them to do the upgrades on the old machines, it wouldn't be worth it - not even close. Since I do the work in spare time from my regular job, there is no labor component, so it is actually pretty reasonable. I enjoy the diversion from my regular job when working on the old machines, and it is amazing how well they work. You couldn't encode HD video files or anything like that, but for what 98% of the people actually do at work, they are more than enough for a good computing experience. Some people piss and moan because they can see the computer is still really old, but once they work with it for a couple days, even they will grudgingly admit the computer is "OK for now".

I should add that the biggest satisfaction gain I've gotten is providing people with dual monitors. They love that it enhances workflow so much.

ozz
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    The building I work in has an "E-bin" for dumping old computer equipment. I've dumped dozens of working desktops and laptops just because they were off-lease and outdated by company standards. I'm always a little bit dumbfounded by the things I just throw away. Cat 5 cables, printers, scanners...that bin is always full of stuff.

Duck Fonald
    God I wish our center had an e-waste bin. The only thing we recycle is cardboard, pretty much. We have recycling bins set up, but people just throw their trash in them, so nothing gets recycled.

The other day, a guy at a gaming store threw out a bunch of computer/game stuff. I salvaged a little bit, but so much was trashed it was incredible. Makes me sick. And Trader Joe's, don't get me started!

Every time I see someone throwing something out that could be recycled, I just say "God bless America" and hope that the sarcasm is noted.
    "What America needs now is a drink."

FDR

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by ozz View Post
    The building I work in has an "E-bin" for dumping old computer equipment. I've dumped dozens of working desktops and laptops just because they were off-lease and outdated by company standards. I'm always a little bit dumbfounded by the things I just throw away. Cat 5 cables, printers, scanners...that bin is always full of stuff.
    Maybe I can come over??

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,

a bit off topic but still kinda relevant.

So these last 2 weeks I've been looking to buy a new office chair, a reeeeally good one. We have a few good brands here where I am and I already have the absolute top of the line chair from one of the makers. Buut this chair is not good enough i think, well yeah its good enough but it could be a lot better. Its 1500 chair. I just expected more. So at work they use mostly the other good brand and they feel a lot more solid so I called a local retailer up and asked around. for what I wanted (adjustable everything) it would cost me around 1200. I mean its not a lot of cash but its still 1200.
    So I decieded to get a cheap ass one until I could get the good one.

But today at work I see a chair down on the floor. Looks good. Apparntly it was broken and they were throwing it out. fuk that I'm taking it. I mean its not "everything adjustable" but its still a premium chair costing I'd guess around a grand. I tore it apart and found out what was broken, and then simply manufactured/machined an identical part, but now from hardened tool steel I'm guessing they used some cheap ass steel here originally. Took me like 1.5h and now I saved 1200 (and i didn't have to get a beater). Could probably have made it out of regular crap steel and saved half an hour, but why even bother.

If its worth doing it worth doing right.
    Last edited by Klurejr; 03-06-2015 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Foul Language

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    What dumpsters are you diving in? I never see people toss computer equipment at my office building. Typically stuff like that goes to the E-waste place.

I have however done some "recycling" of older machines. Did a massive POS roll-out last year for my client and was able to re-use a bunch of older workstations, many of which only have 512MB ram and winXP, Maxed them to 4GB (motherboard limitation), wiped the HDD and installed Win 7 pro and good as new. I have had the mis-fortune of one Power Supply going out and just last week a motherboard died, but I kept about 5 of them for parts and a quick move of the HDD and RAM into a "new" chassis with a good motherboard and away we go.

I do agree that too many places just replace everything instead of giving older hardware new life. I even refurbed an older Linksys Router with the DD-WRT Firmware. Works great.
    did that firmware work well?? I have been buing lots of ubiquiti hardware recently. and these boxes are awesome. Right now I have a box that i configured to interact with the wifi router, and then it sends everything in regular tp cable to the computer and the computer thinks its a wired connection. I can simply hook it up to any computer with a network slot and it has wireless. Having installed nada. (since the computer thinks its a wired connection). nanostation.

Specialized sucks ass.