mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Any tri athletes here

Wife and I just started to train for a 70.3 ironman in April next year. I am enjoying it so far. I am doing 20+ miles right now on the road bike 4X a week. I was just cleared to run again and I doing 100m sprints/walk 100m for 30 min total. Sadly I am not cleared to swim yet.

I am really looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by YZ250Fox View Post
    defecation
    really? No need to hate. I have to run because I have to pass a PT test every 6 months and there is nothing else to do here. My Ellsworth isn't done yet

AZ
    banned
    Bricks, the key is bricks.

Ride More, Work Less
    There are several.

Good luck with your recovery and it is best to take your time to get better and enjoy the cross training. Base fitness for a race essentially a year from now isn't an issue.

The best tri-specific purchase I ever made as the "Fishlike Freestyle" book and video by Terry Laughlin. Being comfortable in the water is the key to success. You can walk a run (I've done that) and you can cut way back on a bike (I've done that too), but you can't fake swimming or the panic as people swim over top of you. The book and video gave me, a relatively fast swimmer to start with, forever endurance. It is remarkable how hip rotation and arm glides can zip you along with minimal effort.

If you are just getting into a tri, this is a big first step but you'll be fine as long as you can control your nerves and take it easy.

banned
    I don't know how much real time can be made in the swim but most failures are in the bike to run transition hense the need to train by doing bricks. Many people find out the hard way that not doing bricks is their undoing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I'm doing a bike to run brick this week sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    There are several.

Good luck with your recovery and it is best to take your time to get better and enjoy the cross training. Base fitness for a race essentially a year from now isn't an issue.

The best tri-specific purchase I ever made as the "Fishlike Freestyle" book and video by Terry Laughlin. Being comfortable in the water is the key to success. You can walk a run (I've done that) and you can cut way back on a bike (I've done that too), but you can't fake swimming or the panic as people swim over top of you. The book and video gave me, a relatively fast swimmer to start with, forever endurance. It is remarkable how hip rotation and arm glides can zip you along with minimal effort.

If you are just getting into a tri, this is a big first step but you'll be fine as long as you can control your nerves and take it easy.
    The ironman will not be my 1st tri, they do tris in the area at least once a month, and anywhere from sprints to olympic. I am doing two sprints in July.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    bricks of defecation

It's a good thing you and your spouse are doing the Tri together. IMHO there's nothing more self absorbed than a triathlete. I know many couples who've been riders for years and then one of them decides to do a Tri. Between the swimming workouts, the running workouts, the diet and the TT training they're away from the house and if the spouse "doesn't get it" they get pissy.

As for passing your PT test, I never had any sympathy for those who couldn't pass. I never failed one in 13 years. I was in Colorado for an exercise once and they offered an exemption to me for being based at sea level and I still maxed the test. It really isn't that hard.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes I git sucked in.

My wife had never done a sport of any kind in her life & decided to do a small Tri, 300 meter swim,10 km bike & 2.5 km run.

So I said that I would train along side her in anything she wanted to do so 5 Tri's & 7 weeks later I was still not aware what was coming but in short 13 months after her very 1st Tri she was an Ironman finisher.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

Pale Rider
    No I do bi, er... I mean I do both..., no wait I go both ways - damn!...

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Actually I prefer athlons - a triathlon would be great if I didn't have to swim, ... or run.

In all seriousness good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0