mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Any scuba divers around this joint?

My wife and I are taking a cruise to the western Caribbean this November and were looking into excursions. Niether of us have ever been scuba diving. I did a little snorkeling in Cozumel on our last trip (which was awesome) and thought the scuba might be fun. They have a beginners scuba diving which includes a shallow pool orientation session then a 40-50 foot dive. Certification not required. Anywho, do you scuba divers think this would be worth it? I even toyed with the idea of getting certified locally and taking the certified dive on the cruise.

Btw, were looking at diving in Grand Cayman.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Some good friends of mine are on the Big Island of Hawaii right now for a few weeks doing daily dives. They have a blog page with updates as their trip progresses. I'm a bit of a fish nut myself so diving interests me although I've never done it.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had a blast snorkeling in Cozumel. I had a cheap snorkel kit and an underwater hd video camera. It entertained me for a good two hours lol.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

since 4/10/2009
    My folks got their dive certifications a number of years ago. They stay in practice by diving at rock quarries in the midwest so they can dive when they go to Florida. They really want to do more extensive traveling in the Caribbean like you're doing, though.

I started with a SCUBA certification course back in college about 10yrs ago and would have stuck with it except for the extra fees that I was unable to pull off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Diving is awesome! If time/budget permits, I would go the certification route. You'll probably get to enjoy a more advanced dive and with a lot loss stress which will alllow you to enjoy the sites rather than deal with the sudden fact that you are breathing under water for the first time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Get certified!! You wont regret it, I go as often as I can and there are few things better than eating a lobster you caught yourself or a fish you speared.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I got certified last year in the Bahamas. It's awesome. Like you, I was going to take a beginner class just to get in the water, but I liked it so much, I went ahead and got PADI Certified while I was there. On my next vacation, I am going to get open water certified.

Do it!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    BTW, the water in the Cayman's is incredible. It's warm and crystal clear.

mtbr member
    Scuba is a pretty cool sport. But it makes the $$ you spend on mtb look like chump change, for sure. Equipment is very expensive, as are dive boats, not to mention all the $$ you have to spend to get to places you want to dive. If you do it on your own, it requires experience and some expertise to avoid dangerous situations. I couldn't afford it now; I haven't been in 10 years.

I was certified just out of high school. It was great when my dad was footing the bill for everything! Trips to Cozumel, Belize (the "blue hole" dive was one of the more incredible experiences of my life), Hawaii, Acapulco, not to mention spear fishing up and down the West Coast, Mexico, and catching spiny lobsters off my deck in Hawaii. Lots of fun.

I'd say, if you can afford to do it very often, might as well get certified right away and do the good dives on your trip. If not, dont waste your money on the certification.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

clown question, bro
    I did a beginner dive off Playa del Carmen a few years ago and it was amazing. I qould absolutely recommend it... Scuba diving is unlike anything else I've ever done and Id do it again without a doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Whole family was certified 6 years ago. Since then we have dove around the world. Coolest place was Indonesia. We go to Bonaire for Thanksgiving every year. Do get certified. Yes equipment is expensive but about the same as a decent bike but divers are cheap and you can find deals on some great diving trips.. You will love it.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Certified long ago but haven't been down in years. To borrow from another thread, I know I'm old when... when I got my cert I had to figure my oxygen exposure from charts...no dive computers yet.

Members who have read this thread: 0