Anti Malware- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 60 of 60

Thread: Anti Malware

  1. #1
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,844

    Anti Malware

    Any recommendations on a Free Anti Malware that you have good results with?


    I've been running Malwarebytes for year with good results but it has recently start requesting an update multiple times a day and the free trial has expired.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mark_BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    792
    I run AVG and Adaware. Then run Ccleaner periodically to clean things up. I have Malwarebytes which is good except as you say they want money.
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

  3. #3
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Free Malwarebytes works great as a secondary scanner and that's how I use it. I have it set up to where I have to start it up in order to scan with it and I always update it before I use it.

    I use Avast as a complete security/monitoring system, it's running all the time.

    A good security system should be updating at least once a day if they are doing their job.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,981
    I too run AVG, Adaware, Ccleaner with good results. I also run free version of Spybot.
    Round and round we go

  5. #5
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Any recommendations on a Free Anti Malware that you have good results with?


    I've been running Malwarebytes for year with good results but it has recently start requesting an update multiple times a day and the free trial has expired.

    Howdy. around 2010 or so I got seriously fed up scanning for viruses/rootkits/whatever for 2 hours at a time, not being sure I got them all or any, just to log into my bank or buying something on the internet. SERIOUSLY fed up. So what was the only logical solution?? And btw I hate the mac operating system so that was out of the question.

    I downloaded a few linux versions and tried them out. You know what I do now when I want to get rid of viruses and any kind of malware?? I go "history" in firefox and then "clear recent history", all boxes are checked including flash cookies (And I also use->
    adblock plus
    adblock plus popup addon
    beef taco
    better privacy (lets you delete flash cookies and flash cookie folders and all things flash, its just gone)
    element hiding helper for adblock plus
    flashblock)

    And now all the sudden, what took me at least 2 hours I do with 3 mouse clicks and it takes about 2 seconds.

    done.

    No one really writes malware for linux since so few people use it, and besides there are several hundreds of versions of it, and they are all different with different takes on security. some of them asks for passwords all the time as soon as you want to change anything. Some of them don't. And besides the attacker pretty much have to single out a few operating systems and possibly a few versions/kernels to attack, and to get what?? Less than 1% or so use linux.

    And even if they attack the most common ones and the most used versions/kernels they can pretty much only attack, what 0.25% of all computer users?? And they're out to make money right, its not a good strategy... Also linux is free, so the users are cheap, now it gets even more retarded to write **** for it.. you know what I mean, trying to steal money from people that don't even want to pay for the operating system.

    These are usable and are versions that I can recommend:
    Linux mint, (9 "gnome" its old but rock solid), (17 "mate", this is newest one, better for new hardware)
    Ubuntu 10.4 (it goes by year-month) and a few other versions when it was all "gnome".
    Scientific (a gnome version from a few years back, its "redhat" (hi-security payware for corporations) for free kinda, cern and the lhc runs on it.

    Red Hat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ubuntu (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Linux Mint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    If you want everything running as smooth as possible I would suggest running an os that was released about 1 year after your newest component in the computer out of these (graphics card, wlan card, cpu, motherboard).

    I think for a non computer interested person ubuntu (gnome versions), and mint (gnome versions and mate versions) will be the best. In mint all codecs and sh1t is baked in from the start, all media plays, and pretty much everything just works.

    Then again, I prefer windows xp for my offline computers, but mint is close second, but for me xp is just faster and better, and I know it inside out. But I stopped using windows computers on the net about 4 years ago. You should too.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  6. #6
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,039
    But...

    Linux will not run Windows programs or games natively. And I have yet to find a Linux version as polished as Windows 7 and 8.
    My Bike: '19 Liv Tempt 2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  7. #7
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    But...

    Linux will not run Windows programs or games natively. And I have yet to find a Linux version as polished as Windows 7 and 8.
    Thats right, but its very effective anti-malware.

    W7 polished?? I think its borderline retarded but thats just me. Takes me what 10-20 minutes to find and adjust some things that could be found in like 1 in xp by just clicking your way around, guessing. Thats not polished.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  8. #8
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Thats right, but its very effective anti-malware.

    W7 polished?? I think its borderline retarded but thats just me. Takes me what 10-20 minutes to find and adjust some things that could be found in like 1 in xp by just clicking your way around, guessing. Thats not polished.
    You can't make something that is capable of so much more (W7 vs XP) "more polished". To me W7 was an improved XP. Vista and W8 are nightmares. I'm hoping that W10 is going to be an improved W7.

    I wouldn't be advertising/suggesting Linux. If more users jump on that bandwagon, more malware is sure to follow.

  9. #9
    > /dev/null 2&>1
    Reputation: Procter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,823

    Re: Anti Malware

    Pay for anti virus. Free versions are either:

    A) Intentionally diminished, to upsell their paid version
    B) A means to get their adware installed on your system

  10. #10
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by procter View Post
    pay for anti virus. Free versions are either:

    A) intentionally diminished, to upsell their paid version
    b) a means to get their adware installed on your system
    ^true this!^

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,248
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Howdy. around 2010 or so I got seriously fed up scanning for viruses/rootkits/whatever for 2 hours at a time, not being sure I got them all or any, just to log into my bank or buying something on the internet. SERIOUSLY fed up. So what was the only logical solution?? And btw I hate the mac operating system so that was out of the question.......
    What were you doing that required 2 hours of scanning just to use the computer?

  12. #12
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    What were you doing that required 2 hours of scanning just to use the computer?
    busted?

  13. #13
    Log off and go ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,691
    I made my cookie file read only. A lot fewer problems now.

    There are a few websites that balk, but most of them are not affected.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

  14. #14
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,039
    Bit of advice to everyone: Norton and McAfee are the two worst programs you can use for anti virus. Bloated and slow, both known to cause issues.
    My Bike: '19 Liv Tempt 2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  15. #15
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Bit of advice to everyone: Norton and McAfee are the two worst programs you can use for anti virus. Bloated and slow, both known to cause issues.
    Agreed.

    Check this website for reviews/advice and safe downloads.

    CNET Forums

  16. #16
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    What were you doing that required 2 hours of scanning just to use the computer?
    Logging into my bank or using paypal or simply paying for **** with the visa

    Now if you have like adaware or similar, and an antivirus ( a good one like avira), just set it to scan everything and see how long it takes. 2 hours.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  17. #17
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Bit of advice to everyone: Norton and McAfee are the two worst programs you can use for anti virus. Bloated and slow, both known to cause issues.
    Norton is a virus!!! I used it on my first own computer in like 2002 or so and it slowed the computer down to a crawl, it was like a snail. Reinstalled the os and then bam! lightning speed. stay far away from that shizzle!!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  18. #18
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Ok, lets say you recently have been "getting into" gay midget porn. So you visit your favorite gay midget porn site and click ALL the ads and ALL the popups, and "install" everything it wants you too. On a windows system now you're seriously phucked, and you know it (and you deserve it too imo). On a mac, well you're probably phucked now too to be honest. On linux, you delete "recent history" in firefox and thats it. Nothing ever happened, a few exe:s tried to install **** that won't even work in your os but thats it. And you can enjoy your midget gay porn another day. I have actually tried clicking on all ads and all links of several "bad sites" of differerent types, like illegal downloads/all kinds of porn etc etc. Jack **** happens.

    Thats pretty good!

    Also I would like to say something bad about linux. sure the developers are good and all that shizzle but if youre into
    professional video production
    professional audio production
    professional still image production
    die hard gamer

    linux will not be the top choice. Because the software wont run on it, and the "equivalents" wont be as good, but if you are truly pro I think you can use it, but for semi-pro or just interested and active hobbyist I think widows will be better, a lot better.

    But if you use your computer for whatever non pro image editing, vid editing, audio editing, it will work just as good as mac and windows. also if you use your computer mostly for listening to music, watching movies/videos, downloading ****, writing **** in word/excel and similar, streaming music, streaming vids, watching internet porn and so on. Then it will work A LOT fukn better! Make no mistake.
    just saying.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,248
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    ......... and click ALL the ads and ALL the popups, and "install" everything it wants you too. On a windows system now you're seriously phucked, and you know it (and you deserve it too imo). .............[/B] Make no mistake.
    just saying.

    So by you clicking on anything and everything, that makes the OS not good?
    You can still enjoy your gay midget porn without clicking on anything and everything.
    In your scenario, fault of the OS lies in the IBM.
    You're still not convincing.

  20. #20
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    So by you clicking on anything and everything, that makes the OS not good?
    You can still enjoy your gay midget porn without clicking on anything and everything.
    In your scenario, fault of the OS lies in the IBM.
    You're still not convincing.
    Agreed. Who in their right mind would EVER click on any link/ad in a risky website to begin with? Oh, I get it, car bone was accusing us of NOT being in our right mind from the getgo.

  21. #21
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Agreed. Who in their right mind would EVER click on any link/ad in a risky website to begin with? Oh, I get it, car bone was accusing us of NOT being in our right mind from the getgo.
    Yeah maybe I did.

    Who?? no one of course because we know what happens. But you can, if you want, that is in some other than windows particular os:es. I think its good. its very malware free/resistant imo. Best I found at least.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,248
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Logging into my bank or using paypal or simply paying for **** with the visa

    Now if you have like adaware or similar, and an antivirus ( a good one like avira), just set it to scan everything and see how long it takes. 2 hours.
    If you were to run similar scans on a Linux computer, it would take a long time too.

    My point is, don't do stuff that requires scans to be run.

    Again, it all comes down to IBM

  23. #23
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    If you were to run similar scans on a Linux computer, it would take a long time too.

    My point is, don't do stuff that requires scans to be run.
    Pretty much all types of internet consumed porn requires scans imo.

    Are you disagreeing here or what?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,248
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Pretty much all types of internet consumed porn requires scans imo.

    Are you disagreeing here or what?
    Porn is best consumed in a sandbox Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing so it does not leave anything behind other than the normal residue.

  25. #25
    U sayin' Bolt ?
    Reputation: knutso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,355
    I'll +1 Linux, my flavor is Arch. Super Polished in that it boots in seconds, doesn't abuse system resources, only does what you tell it to and runs the latest incarnations of free software ( think free speech not free beer ). It runs everything I need better than any othe system: Stata, Ruby and Python development environments. Tons of options for artists. Combining Gimp, Calligra Krita, Darkroom and Blender gives you an image editing and animation option that is powerful and tailored for the power user.

    Linux is great if you take the time to learn it. Also saves you money when you can run a $200 Toshiba CB35 as a full 8 hr run time desktop system with a form factor thinner/lighter than a MacBook Air.

  26. #26
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,039
    Good luck running Photoshop on Linux. Or any other Windows program. Or the latest games. Don't forget the endless hours of compiling packages to install a program on Linu. Should I even mention kernel panic?

    Yeah, good luck with that.
    My Bike: '19 Liv Tempt 2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  27. #27
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Good luck running Photoshop on Linux. Or any other Windows program. Or the latest games. Don't forget the endless hours of compiling packages to install a program on Linu. Should I even mention kernel panic?

    Yeah, good luck with that.
    Kona, are you a "gamer"?

  28. #28
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,039
    Used to be, nothing serious. I'm more of a computer power user and repair tech.
    My Bike: '19 Liv Tempt 2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  29. #29
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Used to be, nothing serious. I'm more of a computer power user and repair tech.
    Simple question: PC or Mac?

  30. #30
    U sayin' Bolt ?
    Reputation: knutso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,355
    Photoshop CS6 runs great via Wine on a Linux sytem. However, if Photoshop or games are your number one priority, they run better on their native windows.

    Most Linux distros have package managers that make installing and updating software faster, more unified and less intrusive than Windows.

    Kernel Panic?! Yes fatal errors exist on all OS's There is also a reason why most all servers that need be ultra reliable run linux. When a system goes down you can bet a bootable linux image is a better option for data recovery than trying to re/install windows

  31. #31
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,039
    Of course I will say PC over a Mac. I've owned a few Macs. Wouldn't mind having a newer one. They look sweet, too bad the price tag is so high.

    Linux is a joke, plain and simple. A million different ways to get the same job done. Useless. Rhetorical.

    Here is why Linux will never work...

    Linux ? the reasons why it will never work for me? | Kona's Weblog

    And yes, I don't use Windows 8. Windows 10 is looking sweet...
    My Bike: '19 Liv Tempt 2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  32. #32
    Flappity flappity flap
    Reputation: Zowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,590
    A million different possible ways to do the same job could also be called "fault-tolerant", something Windows is not often accused of.

    FWIW, the last time it took me hours to compile something, it was a slackware kernel, on a computer any smart phone would laugh at... but YMMV.

    If anything, all Linux distros commit the cardinal sin of expecting someone to RTFM.

  33. #33
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,039
    If anything, all Linux distros commit the cardinal sin of expecting someone to RTFM.
    And that's the problem. People want an operating system that does everything right out of the box without a big learning curve. Linux does not fit that bill. Never will.
    My Bike: '19 Liv Tempt 2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  34. #34
    Flappity flappity flap
    Reputation: Zowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,590
    I don't know if I believe that. More than a few grand later you may have a windows system that does most of the cool stuff linux has gratis...

  35. #35
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,039
    Whatever. I have YET to find or use a Linux system that will do half of what Windows will do. And I don't see any Linux systems that do the whole live tiles thing like Windows 8. Don't forget that Windows has 90 percent or more of the desktop market. There is a reason for that.

    And Windows does not cost thousands, nor does a system to run it.
    My Bike: '19 Liv Tempt 2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  36. #36
    Flappity flappity flap
    Reputation: Zowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,590
    Suffice it to say, if you are into low level hardware interaction and things like audio/video rendering, or DB, or setting up servers, you have a HUGE toolkit at your disposal for free.

    Please, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince you, I just read and have read a lot of propaganda on the subject...
    Plus, I gotta duck--this is becoming a religion thread.

  37. #37
    Finally!
    Reputation: Terranaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    788
    I just read the entire thread and have a simple solution. Don't surf porn on your banking PC. If you feel the need to spank the monkey do it on your phone or another POS pc. Cheap or free anti-virus is fine for 99% of internet surfing and email scans. It's the user behavior that dictates a need for anti-virus or anti-spyware. Be smarter in what you click is the best way to avoid issues.

  38. #38
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    And that's the problem. People want an operating system that does everything right out of the box without a big learning curve. Linux does not fit that bill. Never will.
    Linux mint does everything out of the box and unlike windows you don't need to install drivers everything just works from the start, plays all media from the start, has lots of built in programs such as equivalents to word/excel/photoshop and so on.

    The best part about it is that I can install it from a usb stick and the install will take less than 5 minutes and at 5:02 or so I can be on the internet, wirelessly, watching porn, having installed jack sh1t except the os. Aaaaannnd I could do just the same 5 years ago.

    Windows pretty much does nothing out of the box, you can't even connect to the internet without installing the drivers for the motherboard, network cards, graphics cards and so on. I know it has gotten better with w7 and newer stuff, but still.

    Also the ram usage of the os itself is like 180mb, thats saying a lot.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  39. #39
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post

    And Windows does not cost thousands, nor does a system to run it.
    It can do.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  40. #40
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    So kona, you realized I was right or what??

    Another thing I like in linux is that I can right click pretty much everything and do something with it. There is always some choices that pops up. whatever you click

    Another cool thing is that it takes less time (5minutes) to actually reinstall; for example mint 17 than it takes a windows user to scan for viruses/adware/malware. yeah, there I said it. It takes less time to reinstall the whole system than scanning for viruses. Its ****ing retarded.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,248
    Anti Malware-just-let-you-know-u-so-funny.jpg

  42. #42
    Maaaaan
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
    I just read the entire thread and have a simple solution. Don't surf porn on your banking PC. If you feel the need to spank the monkey do it on your phone or another POS pc. Cheap or free anti-virus is fine for 99% of internet surfing and email scans. It's the user behavior that dictates a need for anti-virus or anti-spyware. Be smarter in what you click is the best way to avoid issues.
    Man that isn't true.
    I've gotten a virus from the University of Nevada Reno's geology site.
    Zedo and other malware from TV guide .com. Cudos to my 70 year old mother for figuring that one out.
    And Stopped getting malware through adds when I started blocking them... Can anyone guess which site has been plagued by malware through adds for years???
    No other attacks, other than what I listed.
    With windows Vista and up, you get sandboxed user accounts. If you have a passworded administrator account in Vista or up, all a person has to do is create a new account and transfer photos, documents etc from the infected account to the new one, then delete the old infected account.
    Once someone with brains taught me that, I haven't had to reinstall Windows in 3 years. IE, since I built this PC.

    Windows is extremely stable, it's the users that aren't

    If a person is smart, they will keep an account in Windows that is Internet only. That way there are no games etc to try and move along with shorcuts to a new account.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

  43. #43
    Rabid Lana Fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,914
    Limited user accounts in Windows have been around since WindowsNT Workstation 3.5.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  44. #44
    banned
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    I have never had a virus/malware issue starting with XP, Vista and now 7. <Knocks on wood> Only using Windows Security Essentials, and common sense as others have suggested.

    That said -- I want to get back to a Linux distro. I toyed with Red Hat in the late 90s but got too distracted by career and kids to spend time keeping up on it. I'd like the computer I install it on to pull double duty as a personal computer and a file backup & media server; probably one eSATA drive for each category. No major gaming or media production.

  45. #45
    Maaaaan
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4,259
    limited user accounts yes.
    Although that isn't what I was getting at.

    And the comment above about linux drivers just work is BS and a half. That's only if a person gets lucky and the built in drivers happen to be for the chipset, lan etc on a particular and usually older mobo... That is true of Windows as well I might add.
    linux hasn't taken off, because it's not what it claims to be.
    It's not safer at all. It's just has such a low user base, that the hacks don't waste too much time trying to write malware for it.
    Linux user beware. If Linux ever becomes mainstream, you will regret it, because then the hacks will have a field day.

    More proof that, Linux and Unix aren't safe. Look at all the servers being hacked in identity theft acts lately. Taking millions of credit card numbers at a time.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

  46. #46
    Finally!
    Reputation: Terranaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    788
    I have been surfing at home since '97 and have only had viruses from 3 sources 1) file sharing like torrents or what used to be FTP 2) porn sites and 3) infected email. Infections from websites happens when you don't know how to use security setting.

  47. #47
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Limited user accounts in Windows have been around since WindowsNT Workstation 3.5.
    heheh yeah hasn't it. The only thing new in vista and newer is that possibly the default user account is not the admin account, and therefore don't have all those privileges.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  48. #48
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    limited user accounts yes.
    Although that isn't what I was getting at.

    And the comment above about linux drivers just work is BS and a half. That's only if a person gets lucky and the built in drivers happen to be for the chipset, lan etc on a particular and usually older mobo... That is true of Windows as well I might add.
    linux hasn't taken off, because it's not what it claims to be.
    It's not safer at all. It's just has such a low user base, that the hacks don't waste too much time trying to write malware for it.
    Linux user beware. If Linux ever becomes mainstream, you will regret it, because then the hacks will have a field day.

    More proof that, Linux and Unix aren't safe. Look at all the servers being hacked in identity theft acts lately. Taking millions of credit card numbers at a time.
    but linux is open source so anyone can fix it if it becomes compromised. Like that hearthbleed bug or whatever the f it was called ( i might be wrong on the particular threat but it was one the recent ones), as soon as I read about it there was an update waiting for it, and I probably found out fairly quick.

    More proof that, Linux and Unix aren't safe. Look at all the servers being hacked in identity theft acts lately. Taking millions of credit card numbers at a time.
    Maybe the admins/programmers sucked??
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  49. #49
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,468
    Damn! Youse guys! I have used mac for a lot of years, currently thinking about upgrading from my 2009 Macbook Pro running Mavericks, but it does all I need, and I have never had any issue with anything other than a failure on my optical drive which I rarely use anyway, (I have since repaired it), and one time when things were getting bogged down because I had a LOT of big show videos on my desktop. I just do not click anything that looks vaguely dodgy... and yes, gay midget porn falls into that category...
    It's all Here. Now.

  50. #50
    Flappity flappity flap
    Reputation: Zowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,590
    If Linux/*nix is so bad on security, I wonder why the DOD made a linux USB distro for telecommuters?

    Not Your Average Linux Distribution: DOD's Flavor

    Edit: And if you're across the pond, sounds like they agree too:

    UK's security branch says Ubuntu most secure end-user OS | ZDNet

  51. #51
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,039
    Linux might be more secure than Windows but...

    Linux can't play the latest games or run the latest Windows programs. It all comes down to that.

    ...and the steep learning curve. Way worse than learning Windows 8.
    My Bike: '19 Liv Tempt 2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  52. #52
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Everybody just shut the **** up and use what works for you. ***** ******, what a bunch of whining little *******.

  53. #53
    Maaaaan
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4,259
    We're not talking about limited user (standard) accounts, we're talking sandboxing.
    On those older MS OSs all the accounts tended to get infected, and therefore windows had to be reinstalled most times there was a virus or malware attack. In the newer versions of windows, the account only tends to get infected, not the core workings.
    I'm not saying the core of windows can't get infected, but it's a lot less likely these days. It's a lot easier to delete an infected account and move a few files, than reinstall the entire windows install.
    Anyways, my friend that taught me that, said most people couldn't understand how simple that was, and still reinstalled Windows like the bad old days.
    It goes to show who knows what around here, and who is stuck repeating outdated knowledge from 10 years ago...
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

  54. #54
    Rabid Lana Fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,914
    I've been deleting/recreating user profiles on windows to fix problems without re-installing the OS for ten years or so now.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  55. #55
    Flappity flappity flap
    Reputation: Zowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,590
    Sorry, I'll quit quoting sources to combat misinformation.

    Fire away!

  56. #56
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,930
    The only thing this thread is missing is Strava account holders and a KOM contest to monitor who can strip their system of viruses fastest after hooking up to a gay midget porn link with cooties to leave on you OS.

    Please reference the gay midget porn link, before starting.

  57. #57
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Linux might be more secure than Windows but...

    Linux can't play the latest games or run the latest Windows programs. It all comes down to that.

    ...and the steep learning curve. Way worse than learning Windows 8.
    And?? Its like complaining my new nokia dumbfone wont run pro-tools, boohoo. Not everyone needs windows programs or play games.

    What learning curve?? I don't know anything about it still it just works, everything is pretty self explanatory, in mint that is.

    I had an onlder man that lived in the same house as me and about every month he would ruin a windows install, i got tired of reinstalling it so i just gave him a mint 9 gnome disc. Didn't hear jack sh1t after that for years. It was unbreakable for him. Go figure.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  58. #58
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    We're not talking about limited user (standard) accounts, we're talking sandboxing.
    On those older MS OSs all the accounts tended to get infected, and therefore windows had to be reinstalled most times there was a virus or malware attack. In the newer versions of windows, the account only tends to get infected, not the core workings.
    I'm not saying the core of windows can't get infected, but it's a lot less likely these days. It's a lot easier to delete an infected account and move a few files, than reinstall the entire windows install.
    Anyways, my friend that taught me that, said most people couldn't understand how simple that was, and still reinstalled Windows like the bad old days.
    It goes to show who knows what around here, and who is stuck repeating outdated knowledge from 10 years ago...
    Most viruses the last time i used win on the net was pretty harmless, it was those "unknown unknowns" and rootkits and all other undefined non virus sh1t I was worried about. The sh1t you don't know you have, can't find out if you have and most people don't know exist. That sh1t.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  59. #59
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyonadyke View Post
    The only thing this thread is missing is Strava account holders and a KOM contest to monitor who can strip their system of viruses fastest after hooking up to a gay midget porn link with cooties to leave on you OS.

    Please reference the gay midget porn link, before starting.
    Sounds like you have an axe to grind there with gay midget porn
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  60. #60
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,039
    Right. Not everyone needs Windows programs and games? Whatever. Just everyone that buys new computers preloaded with Windows. And the fact that many companies will only produce software for Windows and some times Mac.
    My Bike: '19 Liv Tempt 2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Similar Threads

  1. invisible jpegs are malware
    By slocaus in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-13-2013, 01:29 PM
  2. Malware warnings
    By timdvm in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-21-2013, 04:54 PM
  3. Chrome Malware Warning
    By Guerdonian in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 11:50 AM
  4. Monday Mavic Malware
    By Moe Ped in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 09:55 AM
  5. Stan's Notube Website Malware?
    By ayden in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-02-2012, 05:56 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.