Abba- Mtbr.com

Thread: Abba

mtbr member

Abba

Anyone near Glasgow next weekend can catch this ABBA tribute band at the Royal Concert Hall. Fabuloso! ;0)

No, I'm not a huge ABBA fan, my son is the roadie for this band. Ask me nice and I might get you cheap tickets ;0)

Weird huh?
    abba tribute band? How friggin sad...

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

mtbr member
    Don't knock it, they filled the Concert Hall last year! And it's not even a full-time job, just a sideline.

Besides, ABBA were a superb pop band. You're just a grouch ;0)

mtbr member
    there's a lot of tribute bands that are great and some suck. for me if they're good musicians AND you're in the right mindset to just have a good time & hear your favorite band's music then it's all good.

Weird huh?
    I'm not a grouch, and that's not ABBA, that's an abba tribute band. How friggin sad...

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

High Desert MTBer
    Not my cup of tea, but if you're a fan then I would say this is a great night out... nothing wrong or 'sad' about enthusiastic entertainment in my opinion...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    One of the best live acts I've seen was a Genesis tribute band called The Musical Box. Their attention to detail and musicianship was amazing. They used all the correct instruments and impressed the real Genesis so much that they were given original props and slide shows etc.

I would've loved to have seen Genesis live but they were a little before my time. Seeing a good tribute band at least gave me the music the way it should be heard, live. For that I have to say that tribute bands are ok by me.

banned
    Sep 2010
    I can barely remember Abba the original band, so the idea of a tribute band to them seems....irrelevant.

However, I'm very happy for you that your son has a job working for them.

Oh..and rather than cheap tickets, after looking them over, howzabout a backstage pass?

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle View Post
    I'm not a grouch, and that's not ABBA, that's an abba tribute band. How friggin sad...
    Actually, I've been meaning to mention this...you ARE a grouch: I know one of my own when I see one's posts.

But is IS friggin' sad, that's fer sure.

ball sack
    Oct 2013
    Have you heard Ian Anderson sing lately? I think I'd rather see the Martin Barre band play some Tull with a hired singer than watch the shell that Ian has become of his earlier self. Now that's sad.

mtbr member
    My son just does this for a hobby too. He gets paid but he would do it if he didn't. He's a friend of the guy who runs the band, the guy on the left playing guitar.

Funny thing is they all wear wigs to look authentic but my son actually looks like he should be in ABBA! He has long, blond hair and a beard. He actually plays drums in a few bands himself but the guy in the ABBA band won't give up the seat ;0)

Interesting aside. The drum kit they use in an electric kit fitted into real shells so that it looks like an acoustic kit. Gives them the look with flexibility of an electric kit.

It can't be irrelevant if they play dozens of gigs each year and sell thousands of tickets. The Concert Hall seats 2'500 and they filled it last year.

Fart smeller
    Our town has an ABBA tribute band as well, my friend plays guitar for them. The drummer is a showy, flashy player. I haven't seen them, so I have NO idea how THAT fits into ABBA songs.

Here's their site: |ABBA Tribute Band|The Ultimate Live ABBA Tribute Bands|ABBA|ABBA BANDS|ABBA TRIBUTE SHOW BAND|ABBA TRIBUTE BAND|ABBA TRIBUTE|ABBA GIRLS|MAMMA MIA|ABBA FOREVER|VOULEZ VOUS|DANCING QUEEN|

And I'm with the posters who haven't had a chance to see the real bands, so would go see cover bands (Musical Box would intrigue me greatly). I wish there was an XTC cover band, I'd go see them in a heartbeat (one of their members has horrible stage fright, so getting to see them live was a rarity. A buddy of mine and I drove 3 hours to see them, only to find signs posted on the venue that the show had been cancelled. This was decades ago).

Gives me an idea for a new thread: What cover bands would you go see, if you knew they were good?
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    i'll take irrelevant in the form of a nice paying gig! hehe

anyone seen atomic punks or steelpanther? vh and 80s metal parody. funny and good times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I'm with the posters who haven't had a chance to see the real bands, so would go see cover bands (Musical Box would intrigue me greatly).
    I was stunned by how good they were. We had really good seats and I have never heard a live band that sounded so similar to the record, I mean that in a good way. It was like listening to the original recording session.

Just checked their site and it looks like they're paying the US next year: LINK

The point is that this cover band were actually better than most of the original bands I've seen.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post

The point is that this cover band were actually better than most of the original bands I've seen.
    Maybe I'll "take a chance" on them.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i5gkdSiwBhE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Members who have read this thread: 0