6.0 shaker in Napa- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1
    nvphatty
    Guest

    6.0 shaker in Napa

    Any folks live nearby?

  2. #2
    heaven help me
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,889
    I did. Live 70 miles to the west. Sight shaking here for about 10 seconds. Lots of damage in Napa.

  3. #3
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Our entire state is way overdue for some big ones. They've been happening to the North (Vancouver Island) and to the South (Baja CA, Mexico) for some time now. Something has to give. I'm scurd.

  4. #4
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Our entire state is way overdue for some big ones. They've been happening to the North (Vancouver Island) and to the South (Baja CA, Mexico) for some time now. Something has to give. I'm scurd.
    new ocean view coming soon
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,740

    6.0 shaker in Napa

    I felt it really strong in West Sacramento. A sharp violent jolting and then a long series of rollers that seemed like it lasted forever.
    No damages here. Just enjoyed the ride.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  6. #6
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,465
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    You live kinda close to Highdelll, I think.
    Highdelll hasn't beeen around much lately. Maybe he'll check in.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  7. #7
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I felt it really strong in West Sacramento. A sharp violent jolting and then a long series of rollers that seemed like it lasted forever.
    No damages here. Just enjoyed the ride.
    You live kinda close to Highdelll, I think.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,740

    6.0 shaker in Napa

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    You live kinda close to Highdelll, I think.
    Nah. Highdelll is quite a ways north of me. I doubt he felt anything.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  9. #9
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    I guess there are some fissures in the ground from this quake. There's a long, huge fissure in Sonora, Mexico that has recently appeared, too. It's inline with the San Andreas Fault.

    Maybe part of the US really is about to crack off into the ocean? If that's the case, I will need to be wearing swim trunks from this point forward in order to be prepared.

  10. #10
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,465
    And don't forget the arm floaties, Hawg. You could be treading water for quite awhile depending on how things turn out.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  11. #11
    nvphatty
    Guest
    and i'll be much closer to beach front property afterwards

  12. #12
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    And don't forget the arm floaties, Hawg. You could be treading water for quite awhile depending on how things turn out.
    I keep a boogie board in the closet just in case.

  13. #13
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,465
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    and i'll be much closer to beach front property afterwards
    Dude, you could really cash in on this.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  14. #14
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,917
    I'm flight delayed en route to SF due to it : /
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

    Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,740

    6.0 shaker in Napa

    My cousin in the Army has been deployed to the Napa Valley "to aid in earthquake recovery." Seems odd to me. Normally they would use the National Guard for natural disasters. My next door neighbors are full time NG. They say there was some chatter about a deployment, but no orders as of yet.

    I don't get why they need the army there. The damage is not that bad. Maybe the commies are going to invade and steal all our wine?
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  16. #16
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    My cousin in the Army has been deployed to the Napa Valley "to aid in earthquake recovery." Seems odd to me. Normally they would use the National Guard for natural disasters. My next door neighbors are full time NG. They say there was some chatter about a deployment, but no orders as of yet.

    I don't get why they need the army there. The damage is not that bad. Maybe the commies are going to invade and steal all our wine?
    Maybe the Army is coming to steal all of your wine...

  17. #17
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,996
    Glad you all withstood the forces of nature, Any aftershocks or chance of tsunami yet?
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  18. #18
    Pipe Dreamer
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I keep a boogie board in the closet just in case.
    Lol! I was into that (body boarding) for a while, it still sounds funny when someone calls it "boogie boarding".

  19. #19
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Glad you all withstood the forces of nature, Any aftershocks or chance of tsunami yet?
    There has been 5 notable aftershocks at this point.

  20. #20
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,941
    THAT was fun! We were camping at the South end of Lake Berryessa (basically, the epicenter!). Diggin it

    My JRT (Jack Russell Terrier) was on guard, so we were safe!

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    My cousin in the Army has been deployed to the Napa Valley "to aid in earthquake recovery." Seems odd to me. Normally they would use the National Guard for natural disasters. My next door neighbors are full time NG. They say there was some chatter about a deployment, but no orders as of yet.

    I don't get why they need the army there. The damage is not that bad. Maybe the commies are going to invade and steal all our wine?
    Maybe the Chicoms will move in with their one carrier group. Airstrikes!

  22. #22
    Maaaaan
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4,259
    I've got relatives that live up that way in Brentwood.
    The Uncle and Aunt slept through it and only my cousin woke up.
    The Uncle and Aunt went to a car show, without ever turning on the news, and some woman there made what they thought was a strange comment about "we don't have earthquakes in Connecticut". They didn't know what had happened until later in the day. LOL.
    It's kinda scary how much stuff came down. Retrofitted buildings are supposed to be good for about a 7.0 quake.
    This one was pretty shallow, at only about 6 miles depth, and that contributed greatly to the damage that happened.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

  23. #23
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I guess there are some fissures in the ground from this quake. There's a long, huge fissure in Sonora, Mexico that has recently appeared, too. It's inline with the San Andreas Fault.

    Maybe part of the US really is about to crack off into the ocean? If that's the case, I will need to be wearing swim trunks from this point forward in order to be prepared.
    Don't worry I told her to stand by to save you.....

    6.0 shaker in Napa-sexysurf.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

  24. #24
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    There has been 5 notable aftershocks at this point.
    Hope that's the extent of it. We've had small quakes and aftershocks over the years here in Ontario, which seems weird because we're nowhere near ocean, mountains, but we are on a fault line


    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    THAT was fun! We were camping at the South end of Lake Berryessa (basically, the epicenter!). Diggin it

    My JRT (Jack Russell Terrier) was on guard, so we were safe!
    I remember a few years ago sitting on the couch with Rocky (my JRT) when we felt a good size quake. He looked at me just before I felt it. It's uncanny how intuitive pets can be.
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  25. #25
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Our entire state is way overdue for some big ones. They've been happening to the North (Vancouver Island) and to the South (Baja CA, Mexico) for some time now. Something has to give. I'm scurd.
    Seems to be a 20 -25 year phenomena here around the Los Angeles area. All the freeway bridges fall north end of town at the I-5 and highway 14, just north of where the 210, I-405 and I-5 meet. Long Beach in 1933, 6.3 Kern county 1952, 7.3, 1971 Sylmar quake was a big one 6.4 , 1994 Northridge Earthquake was a 6.7. We are either due, or overdue, for another big one, just a matter of time.

  26. #26
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,941
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I remember a few years ago sitting on the couch with Rocky (my JRT) when we felt a good size quake. He looked at me just before I felt it. It's uncanny how intuitive pets can be.

    They are incredibly intuitive! Abby growled and growled! ...then tucked herself in under the covers.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,740

    6.0 shaker in Napa

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Maybe the Chicoms will move in with their one carrier group. Airstrikes!
    It's small enough that they could float it right past Maire Island up the Napa River.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  28. #28
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    901
    Me no like Shakey Shakey, but Hawg is right..we are due...reminds me to get my kit updated. Right now it's a snickers bar and 2 bottles of arrowhead water. Hope all is well up north....

  29. #29
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,976
    Woke me up at 3:21, about 30 miles from the epicenter. Thought at first the wife was shaking the bed. No harm, no foul. 1989 shook a lot harder.

  30. #30
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,941
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Don't worry I told her to stand by to save you.....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sexysurf.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	918153
    Very thoughtful of you! She appears to have impressive credentials.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fishbucket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,259
    We were up in Oregon w/ Mon and Dad this weekend. Just heard about it on facecrook.
    I was thinking of all kinds of things falling off our shelves, the fish tank smashed on the floor. the cupboards thrown down in the kitchen...The garage a mess with the overhead shelve knocked down and everything on the floor. We're only 15 miles west as the crow flies.

    Just got home after a 12 hour ride to find.... Nothing !... Whoot !.. not a nary thing has moved. Crazy... all that in Napa and not a thing moved at our place..
    It must have stopped right at another fault line that sucked up the heavy stuff...

    Glad that's over.. I really didn't need to come home to that.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

  32. #32
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,465
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    We were up in Oregon w/ Mon and Dad this weekend. Just heard about it on facecrook.
    I was thinking of all kinds of things falling off our shelves, the fish tank smashed on the floor. the cupboards thrown down in the kitchen...The garage a mess with the overhead shelve knocked down and everything on the floor. We're only 15 miles west as the crow flies.

    Just got home after a 12 hour ride to find.... Nothing !... Whoot !.. not a nary thing has moved. Crazy... all that in Napa and not a thing moved at our place..
    It must have stopped right at another fault line that sucked up the heavy stuff...

    Glad that's over.. I really didn't need to come home to that.
    That's good news, I'm sure you had a nervous drive home.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  33. #33
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    We were up in Oregon w/ Mon and Dad this weekend. Just heard about it on facecrook.
    I was thinking of all kinds of things falling off our shelves, the fish tank smashed on the floor. the cupboards thrown down in the kitchen...The garage a mess with the overhead shelve knocked down and everything on the floor. We're only 15 miles west as the crow flies.

    Just got home after a 12 hour ride to find.... Nothing !... Whoot !.. not a nary thing has moved. Crazy... all that in Napa and not a thing moved at our place..
    It must have stopped right at another fault line that sucked up the heavy stuff...

    Glad that's over.. I really didn't need to come home to that.
    I have to think that the main shock wave went in a direction away from your home. Glad to hear the good news Fish. Hope you time away with the family was good.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTB Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    401
    We're in North Napa. I was having a bowl of cereal. First thought neighbors were jumping upstairs, then I saw the door shaking and I thought someone was trying to break in. All of a sudden that thing took hold and it shook the house like a rag doll. I ran and jumped on top of my girl and covered her because everything was falling. Broken glass everywhere, fridge and stove on the other side of the kitchen. That's actually the first one that I've ever felt. We live like a quarter mile from the Queen of the Valley so we were outside with our neighbors for about an hour without power just watching the fire trucks and ambulances pass by.

    My brother came into town to visit for the holiday weekend and he was just amazed of what damage a quake can do. We just went and walked around downtown. It is so great to see all of the town just piecing everything back together and rebuilding. We were so fortunate compared to so many others here in town.

  35. #35
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,377
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Marco View Post
    We're in North Napa. I was having a bowl of cereal. First thought neighbors were jumping upstairs, then I saw the door shaking and I thought someone was trying to break in. All of a sudden that thing took hold and it shook the house like a rag doll. I ran and jumped on top of my girl and covered her because everything was falling. Broken glass everywhere, fridge and stove on the other side of the kitchen. That's actually the first one that I've ever felt. We live like a quarter mile from the Queen of the Valley so we were outside with our neighbors for about an hour without power just watching the fire trucks and ambulances pass by.

    My brother came into town to visit for the holiday weekend and he was just amazed of what damage a quake can do. We just went and walked around downtown. It is so great to see all of the town just piecing everything back together and rebuilding. We were so fortunate compared to so many others here in town.
    Glad to hear you and yours came out of it unscathed. Quakes are a scary thing to experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Similar Threads

  1. MMCC Sweat Shaker June 28!!!!!
    By jlrotax583 in forum Midwest - IL, IN, OH, KY, IA, MO, MI
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 07:46 PM
  2. 2011 Tree Shaker Photo's
    By NBOYD in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 09:48 AM
  3. Bone Shaker part deux? Sunday Dec 4
    By big0mike in forum Nevada
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-08-2011, 04:38 PM
  4. 2011 Tree Shaker 12 & 6 Hour MTB Challenge
    By NBOYD in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-20-2011, 09:16 AM
  5. 2011 Tree Shaker 12 & 6 Hour Mtn Bike Challenge
    By NBOYD in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 06:34 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.