5G is coming!- Mtbr.com

Thread: 5G is coming!

High Desert MTBer

5G is coming!

Much is being made of the advent of 5G technology and how this will provide a quantum shift in the quality of our lives and in our connectivity. Do we need it, and should we do more research into the real health risks?

You can find a myriad articles that extoll the safety and virtue of 5G, and on closer investigation, these all seem to base their conclusions on old science which glosses over the fact that really very little research has been done on the long term implications of 5g. Here is an article from October that speaks into this:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ve-5g-is-safe/

There is a wide body of reputable opinion in the scientific community that is of the opinion that there may indeed be health risks involved, and that more studies should be made before subjecting us all to this technology. "Oh it's non-ionising so quite safe!" they say. But that is not the whole story.
    Unfortunately, once again expediency in rolling all this out as fast as possible seems to have trumped good sense, and we are the inevitable guinea pigs.
    It is widely reported that the incidence of certain cancers has increased since greater use of cell phones/towers and connected devices, but these reports are minimized by those who stand to benefit from the technology, as are most negatively slanted reports. I personally am far from being a Luddite, and have embraced new technology as it has been developed over the last few decades, but I believe we are getting ahead of ourselves without due diligence being made.

Apart from the potential for health risks, there is another whole area of concern for our privacy which will be compromised once this level of connectivity becomes commonplace. But this is another story!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Much is being made of the advent of 5G technology and how this will provide a quantum shift in the quality of our lives and in our connectivity.
    My quality of life is in no way connected to my connection speed.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Donít hold your breath Ė weíre in ímericuh. You can be sure that AT&T will be throttling their bandwidth (as they have been all along).
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    Good thing that isn't what the thread is related to then.

Didn't see it written above and 'searched' the article for the work quality and it didn't come up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    Good thing that isn't what the thread is related to then.

Didn't see it written above and 'searched' the article for the work quality and it didn't come up.
    I was referring to the original post...

Much is being made of the advent of 5G technology and how this will provide a quantum shift in the quality of our lives and in our connectivity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Donít hold your breath Ė weíre in ímericuh. You can be sure that AT&T will be throttling their bandwidth (as they have been all along).
    Blazing fast 100-400Mbs, 2GB limit. After that, it will be throttle down to 2G speeds. But it will still be advertised as "Unlimited" because their definition of "Unlimited" is different than ours.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Yawn
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    I don't have cell service at my house I'm not concerned.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

One ring to mash them all
    Good time to get a deal on 4G LTE phones.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

Maybe MTBR will move on from dialup now.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

High Desert MTBer
    What I said about quality of life is referenced in many different articles extolling the virtues of 5g and the benefits of living in the "Internet of Things", whatever that is supposed to mean. The article I referenced has different subject matter that supports more investigation and study on the matter.
    Whether or not the bandwidth is throttled, the saturation of the 5g microwave is still present. There will ultimately be emitters everywhere, on lighting poles, on private houses, everywhere. It will be impossible to escape them unless you are in the total boonies, and even then, once satellite technology is fully operational, you may well be getting signals from low orbiting satellites.
    This will potentially affect us all, and the risks are not fully understood.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    thats why I live in the total boonies. nearest street light is 6 miles away. we are a dark sky community which is cool, but like you said anywhere you go will be saturated with radio frequencies. I saw the musk starlink satellite constellation the other day. it was really cool but scary at the same time.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    thats why I live in the total boonies. nearest street light is 6 miles away. we are a dark sky community which is cool, but like you said anywhere you go will be saturated with radio frequencies. I saw the musk starlink satellite constellation the other day. it was really cool but scary at the same time.
    There's nothing like a really dark sky. Many years ago I spent time in the mountains in Northern Iran, and there was zero light anywhere out there. The sky at night was staggeringly beautiful. You would see shooting stars like fireworks all the time, and in those days, very very few satellites!
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Maybe MTBR will move on from dialup now.
    Nah!
    It's all Here. Now.

EAT MORE GRIME
    it's true

if you view source in the browser, you can clearly see the
    modems in action

ATDT1800MTBRcom>
    <ATA
    connect>
    <connect
    forums.mtbr.com/off-camber-off-topic
    <+++
    <OK
    <ATH
    NO CARRIER>
    <OK
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    This!

My wife and I are on an old T-mobile plan where we only got 1GB of data per month, I try to not be on my phone if I am not in a place with free wifi or at home/work. It was rare we went over our cap. For some reason they upgraded us to a 2GB per month/phone plan.

The plan we have is cheaper than any plan they currently offer and I plan to keep it as long as I can.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    This!

My wife and I are on an old T-mobile plan where we only got 1GB of data per month, I try to not be on my phone if I am not in a place with free wifi or at home/work. It was rare we went over our cap. For some reason they upgraded us to a 2GB per month/phone plan.

The plan we have is cheaper than any plan they currently offer and I plan to keep it as long as I can.
    Personally I have no need of super fast internet and the Internet of Things. My house is a smart as it needs to be, ie. not at all, my pressure cooker is not chatting to my fridge, and the vacuum is not sexting with the AC unit. I don't want any Rings, Alexas, Fruitbats or anything that is eavesdropping, and Siri doesn't understand anything I say anyway. It is useful to be able to access web pages fairly quickly, but I have more than enough speed for that now without 5g.
    I hate the idea of really having no say in what we are exposed to...
    It's all Here. Now.

and Siri doesn't understand anything I say anyway.
    Heh, reminded me of:

Go Fact Yourself.

High Desert MTBer
    First time I tried to set up Siri on my ipad, I had it sitting on my desk in the office. My colleague had his on his desk close to it. I tried with a 'Hey Siri!' and the thing replied something at me like 'your wish is my command'... then before I could say anything else, the ipad on my pal's desk chimed in, and before I knew it, the 2 ipads were trying to chat to one another. It was quite surreal, and I have never tried using that function since.
    My car is even more frustrating. If for instance I say to it 'Call my wife', it may come back with 'did you say call Dan Roper?' or another totally random name. I don't even bother any more...
    The only thing that does seem to work seamlessly is the voice search on my Roku box. THAT is awesome and it understands my weird accent perfectly. Maybe I can get it to interpret with my other devices?
    It's all Here. Now.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    How ridiculous humanity is. We now have 5G technology which has been reported to carry health risks along with it's use. And yet we move on to embrace it and rejoice it's capabilities. What in the hell is wrong with us?!

Cancer was only a risk before. Now, we have 5G technology. Cancer for everyone!!!

mtbr member
    All assertions at this point. One thing is sure. Itís coming.
    With all the real proved bad things we have going on, we should concern ourselves with them. I mean windmills cause cancer, or didnít you hear...
    Round and round we go

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    All assertions at this point. One thing is sure. Itís coming.
    With all the real proved bad things we have going on, we should concern ourselves with them. I mean windmills cause cancer, or didnít you hear...
    Basically, in this day and age, living causes cancer. Now we another contributor to add to the growing list and this one could be a doozie.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    Basically, in this day and age, living causes cancer. Now we another contributor to add to the growing list and this one could be a doozie.
    Sure, but if you live long enough without carcinogens in the environment you'll probably get cancer. Cell replication is imperfect. Sometimes those mistakes cause uncontrolled cell replication. I'm always curious as to how many people died of "natural causes" in the past, which are now diagnosed as cancer or other conditions, because we are able to. I don't doubt a shift in the multitude of potential influences to cause cancer or other diseases, but how much of our worldview is shaped by what we are allowed to observe by new technologies or procedures.
    dang

mtbr member
    Alcohol, STDs, Opium in all its glorious forms, nicotine, suntans, cellphone radiation, texting while driving, selfie gravity overexposure, high fructose corn syrup......
    Donít think knowing helps about half the population.
    Now 5g. If itís broad overexposure it might save the planet. If you see the Oligarchs and ATT folks wearing shiny new skull caps, might be concerning.
    If itís faster that should reduce screen time, right?
    Bet them Colorado Night Drone Hive Flights is giving folks the heebegeebees......
    Strange new world and interesting times.

Humans are slow learners

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I live in California where everything gives you cancer.

High Desert MTBer
    Even the drugs I take to control my cancer give me other cancer... Damned if you do... As Meat says, these are all assertions until proven, but as long as we are on the course they intend for us, I don't see too much impetus towards due diligence.
    Recent history is littered with examples of new shit being introduced and us finding out too late that these things are actually very dangerous. You all know that, yet many blindly follow down the path of mute acceptance.
    It's all Here. Now.

Fart smeller
    Did someone say SG?

5G is coming!-sg.jpg

Oh, 5G. :facepalm:
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    Even the drugs I take to control my cancer give me other cancer... Damned if you do... As Meat says, these are all assertions until proven, but as long as we are on the course they intend for us, I don't see too much impetus towards due diligence.
    Recent history is littered with examples of new shit being introduced and us finding out too late that these things are actually very dangerous. You all know that, yet many blindly follow down the path of mute acceptance.
    Nah
    Itís the punch you donít see coming that gets you.
    History is filled with naysayers that are proven wrong. Where other issues unforeseen come to light way after the fact, that no one saw coming. Forget self driving cars. Years ago ppl feared human operated cars. Most thought cars were stupid, would never take off. The slogan of the day was ďget a horseĒ. Even in crowded cities where the headlines of the day were what are we to do with all this horse crap piling up around us. When cars gained popularity, forget who said a car could never go 500 miles on road, which is where the Indy 500 was born. So many other examples itís silly. 4g and cell phones were going to cause brain cancer...
    5g is made for quick transfer of data for machines to talk to each other. Thatís more concerning to me than health risks probably not associated with non ionizing frequencies. But Eve bit the apple...
    Round and round we go

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Did someone say SG?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SG.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	1302781
    It's code for talking about the Stargate.
    dang

Rabid Lana Fan
    Maybe the 5G microwaves will only cause cancer in California?
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Maybe the 5G microwaves will only cause cancer in California?
    That's something heyyall would have said.

Pipe Dreamer
    We are the cancer.

Anyone ever look at the Ill Communication album cover art?

This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

High Desert MTBer
    Nah
    Itís the punch you donít see coming that gets you.
    History is filled with naysayers that are proven wrong. Where other issues unforeseen come to light way after the fact, that no one saw coming. Forget self driving cars. Years ago ppl feared human operated cars. Most thought cars were stupid, would never take off. The slogan of the day was ďget a horseĒ. Even in crowded cities where the headlines of the day were what are we to do with all this horse crap piling up around us. When cars gained popularity, forget who said a car could never go 500 miles on road, which is where the Indy 500 was born. So many other examples itís silly. 4g and cell phones were going to cause brain cancer...
    5g is made for quick transfer of data for machines to talk to each other. Thatís more concerning to me than health risks probably not associated with non ionizing frequencies. But Eve bit the apple...
    My good friend Barrie didn't see the mesothelioma coming when everyone said asbestos was the new miracle material. By the time the 'naysayers' were listened to it was way too late. The other examples you quoted are just a few examples of stuff that was feared and then not after we mastered the safety and control of these things. Just because some fears were not realized in the past does not necessarily mean that we should ignore due diligence in the future, but I do share your concern at machines inter-communicating and figuring out we are all too dumb to merit further survival in a machine controlled world. I dread the day when I come home and the vacuum trips me up then holds me down like a boa constrictor while the Roomba slowly pounds me to a pulp.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Too much fear and dread of living is deadly......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    I was at LAX going to get my rental car. there was a sign that said "prop 65 warning. this area is known to cause cancer in the state of california" good thing I was going to hawaii where they do not have cancer areas.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Sorry. You can move to Idaho like all the other Californians....

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    Too much fear and dread of living is deadly......
    No fear or dread of living here, that's the easy part! It's the crap that we are trying to curtail that living with that I object to...
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Sorry. You can move to Idaho like all the other Californians....
    Foolish move. The acrylamides produced in potatoes when cooked at high temps cause cancer... Idaho is BURSTING with potatoes...
    It's all Here. Now.

be1
    the beat goes on
    i don't trust anything that can be hacked. i got a smart thermostat for a gift one time but i will never install it. also - those car key fob thingies that don't have a key - hate 'em.

High Desert MTBer
    Once those car key fob thingies start chatting with each other, we are doomed...
    It's all Here. Now.

be1
    the beat goes on
    Once those car key fob thingies start chatting with each other, we are doomed...

well mannered lout
    My personal obsolescence is well planned. Vintage bikes...just a small piece of a much larger puzzle. If you need the details, call me on the land line.
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

Rabid Lana Fan
    I once hacked a potato.

mtbr member
    The thing about hacking potatoes is that when you do, then theyíre fried......

NDD
    mtbr member
    I hacked a potato one time and my dog ate it the second it hit the floor. Kinda gross.
    dang

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    I hacked a potato one time and my dog ate it the second it hit the floor. Kinda gross.
    That's just doggie love!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    That's just doggie love!
    Ha! Yes, love from the kinda animal that tries to lick your face after licking its own butt. Love dogs, but never liked getting licked by them.
    dang

be1
    the beat goes on
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    I once hacked a potato.
    famous idaho potato bowl is coming on in a few minutes. place your bets
    You just can't beat the person who never gives up. - B.Ruth

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    famous idaho potato bowl is coming on in a few minutes. place your bets
    Pointless, cos net already rigged it...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    My good friend Barrie didn't see the mesothelioma coming when everyone said asbestos was the new miracle material. By the time the 'naysayers' were listened to it was way too late. The other examples you quoted are just a few examples of stuff that was feared and then not after we mastered the safety and control of these things. Just because some fears were not realized in the past does not necessarily mean that we should ignore due diligence in the future, but I do share your concern at machines inter-communicating and figuring out we are all too dumb to merit further survival in a machine controlled world. I dread the day when I come home and the vacuum trips me up then holds me down like a boa constrictor while the Roomba slowly pounds me to a pulp.
    Sorry about your friend Barry.
    Have lived through so many omg the world is going to end dramas that umm, never happened. Itís something like 90% of things we worry about never happen.
    Could point to endless examples dating way back. But donít want to disagree with you, and instead enjoy getting along with you for a change. How do you like them apples. Lol
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Breakfast burritos go better with Idaho potatoes.

Fart smeller
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 01-04-2020 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Truck fump.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

High Desert MTBer
    Sorry about your friend Barry.
    Have lived through so many omg the world is going to end dramas that umm, never happened. Itís something like 90% of things we worry about never happen.
    Could point to endless examples dating way back. But donít want to disagree with you, and instead enjoy getting along with you for a change. How do you like them apples. Lol
    I hear you on the doomsday scenarios that repeat over, but some stick, and certain less scrupulous entities have it in their interests to sit on or skew some information rather than let truth see the light of day. That is not a tin foil hat reaction, but simple truth. My fear is that 5g is one of those. I hope I'm wrong.
    As for them apples, I just threw out all the friggin' pears that people decided would be good Xmas gifts, so I am ready for a change in this New Year's spirit of reconciliation.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    No question Orwellís prescience gains in appreciation almost daily now.....Canít even take a piss on the side of the road anymore....
    Next, drone hives.
    Obscurity is fast becoming a valuable personal commodity.....

mtbr member
    Essentially, if the RF is below the visible light spectrum it is safe. If it is above the visible light spectrum then it is ionizing radiation and it is not safe. 5G is below the visible light spectrum.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    Essentially, if the RF is below the visible light spectrum it is safe. If it is above the visible light spectrum then it is ionizing radiation and it is not safe. 5G is below the visible light spectrum.
    So they say... I remain skeptical.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    What if you ionize a potato?

GONE
    Nov 2008
    What if you ionize a potato?
    Depends on how focused and how powerful the beam is but it would likely cook a lot faster and therefore you could enjoy more potatoes at a time in a given period.

But, potatoes are bad in so many ways!

NDD
    mtbr member
    5G be like
    dang

Rabid Lana Fan
    The new Idaho Potatoes with up to 150% more coverage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I once read on the internet that if you keep a 5g phone near the battery on an E-Bike it will charge the battery.

Okay, I didn't read it.
    But you did, so as far as you know it has to be true.

Happy Sunday everybody. teehee

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    I once read on the internet that if you keep a 5g phone near the battery on an E-Bike it will charge the battery.

Okay, I didn't read it.
    But you did, so as far as you know it has to be true.

Happy Sunday everybody. teehee
    Yeah, but if you leave it too long, the battery on the bike will explode...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Name:  0A05942D-1EEB-4FD1-A1A9-46134984AA73.jpeg
Views: 37
Size:  20.0 KB
    Round and round we go

High Desert MTBer
    yaaay!
    It's all Here. Now.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Yes, yes it is! Don't forget your sunscreen!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5G is coming!-astn676.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quick, quick, give me 5G so I can connect faster to the hosts that provide content at 1/10th of that speed! Wait... why do I need faster connectivity? Faster Facebook? Faster fake news? Faster Angry Birds?

Eh... my bike doesn't need the Internet to work, so all of this really doesn't matter. Nothing to see here... moving on...

mtbr member
    I'm still waiting for cell service at my house.

XC iconoclast
    Much is being made of the advent of 5G technology and how this will provide a quantum shift in the quality of our lives and in our connectivity. Do we need it, and should we do more research into the real health risks?

You can find a myriad articles that extoll the safety and virtue of 5G, and on closer investigation, these all seem to base their conclusions on old science which glosses over the fact that really very little research has been done on the long term implications of 5g. Here is an article from October that speaks into this:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ve-5g-is-safe/

There is a wide body of reputable opinion in the scientific community that is of the opinion that there may indeed be health risks involved, and that more studies should be made before subjecting us all to this technology. "Oh it's non-ionising so quite safe!" they say. But that is not the whole story.
    Unfortunately, once again expediency in rolling all this out as fast as possible seems to have trumped good sense, and we are the inevitable guinea pigs.
    It is widely reported that the incidence of certain cancers has increased since greater use of cell phones/towers and connected devices, but these reports are minimized by those who stand to benefit from the technology, as are most negatively slanted reports. I personally am far from being a Luddite, and have embraced new technology as it has been developed over the last few decades, but I believe we are getting ahead of ourselves without due diligence being made.

Apart from the potential for health risks, there is another whole area of concern for our privacy which will be compromised once this level of connectivity becomes commonplace. But this is another story!

It's not necessarily the type and amount of radiation we are exposed to, it's how our body handles it and if it has the proper resources (as in biochemicals, vitamins, minerals, etc.) to handle it. Up to 85% of cancer is environmental. Yes, a small fraction could be from cell phone-based radiation along with other forms of man-made radiation. But your environment is not just what's around you. It's also what is already inside of you, as in how healthy you are to begin with when any radiation hits you. Animal studies have conclusively proven that antioxidants reduce the risk of cancer, and lack of antioxidants raise cancer risk. And no offense to anyone, but certain ethnic diets like fish & chips don't help. English food is beyond horrible nutritionally. I'm not saying American food is any better, but English food is about the worst 'ethnic' food out there nutritionally. Look at what you are taking into your body first, both good and bad, worry about the outside world second.

XC iconoclast
    Quick, quick, give me 5G so I can connect faster to the hosts that provide content at 1/10th of that speed! Wait... why do I need faster connectivity? Faster Facebook? Faster fake news? Faster Angry Birds?

Eh... my bike doesn't need the Internet to work, so all of this really doesn't matter. Nothing to see here... moving on...

No kidding. 5G will only make people dumber, it will make even more people not know N-S-E-W and what that even means, they will not be able to drive anywhere without a smart phone or Garmin, and their IQ will continue to plummet watching stupid internet videos on their phone all day. If their phone battery dies, they will not even be able to get home. I've actually met people like that, I'm not kidding. They could not even tell me where they lived, not even a cross street, and they were adults, not kids. Technology is making us more stupid, not less.

mtbr member
    I have one of these, and I know how to use it. I even have a merit badge to prove it.

5G is coming!-silva-123-compass.jpg

I am amazed how people get lost driving in Phoenix without their phones. it is a grid. almost every car I see has the phone on the dash. I wish it was due to the fact it has to be hands free, but I know they are getting directions. only time I check my phone for driving is to see how traffic is before I leave for the fastest route.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    It's not necessarily the type and amount of radiation we are exposed to, it's how our body handles it and if it has the proper resources (as in biochemicals, vitamins, minerals, etc.) to handle it. Up to 85% of cancer is environmental. Yes, a small fraction could be from cell phone-based radiation along with other forms of man-made radiation. But your environment is not just what's around you. It's also what is already inside of you, as in how healthy you are to begin with when any radiation hits you. Animal studies have conclusively proven that antioxidants reduce the risk of cancer, and lack of antioxidants raise cancer risk. And no offense to anyone, but certain ethnic diets like fish & chips don't help. English food is beyond horrible nutritionally. I'm not saying American food is any better, but English food is about the worst 'ethnic' food out there nutritionally. Look at what you are taking into your body first, both good and bad, worry about the outside world second.
    Oh I agree fully! And as a Brit, there is no "English food"... sure, some people eat shit there, but they eat shit everywhere. If you travel in the UK nowadays, you are likely to find the same crap you find most anywhere in the 'developed' world. If you go in a pub these days, and this has been the case for a few decades now, you are likely to be able to get some great international cuisine! Not everywhere of course, but not hard to find.
    I worry greatly about what I eat, but there is huge danger from the "outside world" too... not to be be sniffed at. It is easier to control what i eat, but sadly I have much less control over what I am unwillingly subjected to. That worries me much more.
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    I have one of these, and I know how to use it. I even have a merit badge to prove it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silva-123-compass.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	1304605

I am amazed how people get lost driving in Phoenix without their phones. it is a grid. almost every car I see has the phone on the dash. I wish it was due to the fact it has to be hands free, but I know they are getting directions. only time I check my phone for driving is to see how traffic is before I leave for the fastest route.
    I used to love orienteering. That was a grueling sport, if it could be described as such. I also LOVE maps. I have boxes of them here, and like nothing more than to pore over them and imagine the places I am seeing. Then I want to follow them there. You cannot get such an overview of places from a phone GPS, but it is a useful tool sometimes.
    I have a particular fondness for old maps. Used to buy a lot on ebay...
    It's all Here. Now.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    5G is no longer coming....

THEY'RE HERE!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5G is coming!-a5gw98.png  

Dark Meat
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    My personal obsolescence is well planned. Vintage bikes...just a small piece of a much larger puzzle. If you need the details, call me on the land line.
    Whatís a land line???

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Meat View Post
    Whatís a land line???
    It's just one letter away from an uplifting experience...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Meat View Post
    Whatís a land line???
    It's a lot better than a land mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    It's a lot better than a land mine!
    Or a lard line.
    Go Fact Yourself.