The 10 & 2 hand position...POLL- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: The 10 & 2 opinion poll.

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I use the 10 & 2 technique and always will.

    5 15.15%
  • I don't use the 10 & 2 technique and think it causes more problems on the road.

    6 18.18%
  • I could give a rats ass. I drive haphazardly with any hand position anyway.

    22 66.67%
Results 1 to 76 of 76
  1. #1
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,423

    The 10 & 2 hand position...POLL

    Get a grip!

    The 10 & 2 hand position has been taught in driving school for decades. It's my opinion that those that use this technique are far more dangerous on the road than those that don't. Gripping the steering wheel in such a way hinders maneuverability not just in routine driving but, big time in an emergency situation. Whenever I see someone driving like this I try to stay clear for fear of their inexperience as a driver. It seems many new drivers use this technique as well as senior citizens.

    Am I wrong?

    What's your opinion?

    Take the poll as well.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-18-2017 at 11:34 AM. Reason: None your..
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  2. #2
    Killer b.
    Reputation: The Understater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,522
    It lacks leverage. If I do have my hands there and have to make a turn I lift my inside hand to near the top of the wheel in preparation so I can turn the wheel further before I run out of leverage. I move my hands a lot and pretty much always steer with my inside hand, pulling down on the wheel.

    I like to have the wheel quite close to me and quite low, and I sit quite upright.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dbhammercycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,486
    Your hands should grip the wheel somewhat loosely, like gripping baseball bat or a golf club. One should use the fingers, burying the wheel in the palm of the hand is asking for trouble. Position of the hands should change as necessity and as comfort dictates but not at the expense of control. It's important to maintain control of the vehicle as the better the driver can stay in control, the more pedestrians and bikers can be hit and thus a higher score can be obtained. It's simple really.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

  4. #4
    Straight out tha traila
    Reputation: Mojave G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    985
    I drive with one hand at 12 that's it. Unless I'm wheeling the Jeeps then it's 3 and 9.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

  5. #5
    Pipe Dreamer
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,348
    10 & 2 is the best hand position for pulling up over bumps and road features.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

  6. #6
    Log off and go ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,692
    I recently took a senior's driving class (it was worth a 15% reduction on my premium, so I signed up). This class said the recommended position is now 8 & 4, due to improvements in steering and suspension systems. I tried it and feels clumsy.

    Whichever position does not spill my beer is fine with me.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

  7. #7
    Straight out tha traila
    Reputation: Mojave G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    985
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Whichever position does not spill my beer is fine with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

  8. #8
    heaven help me
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,889
    I use a necker's knob.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DethWshBkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,426
    There is no way I can get my left knee up into the 10, let alone the 2 o'clock position.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DethWshBkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,426
    10/2 is a very strong position. You start fighting the wheel from hydroplaning, or snow, you don't hold that wheel at 8 and 4.

    Roughly 10-2 is excellent.

    There is a reason race car drivers are typically around that same position.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

  11. #11
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,619
    All my clocks are digital, how does this work again?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

  12. #12
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,423
    It seems all that have posted so far agree with me. Yet you all voted for the wise crack sarcastic choice.

    I knew I shouldn't have added that one in there. Let's get serious from here on out with the poll votes anyway. I plan on sending the results to the DMV nation wide.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  13. #13
    Location: 10 ft from Hell Moderator
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,451
    8 and 4 is due to almost universal airbag use, 10 and 2 puts you in harms way of a small yield explosive device.

  14. #14
    Pipe Dreamer
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,348
    46 & 2 is great for road trips!
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

  15. #15
    Hi There!
    Reputation: TheGweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,662
    The new standard is 9 and 3...I just took Driving Dynamics. That's so you don't get slammed with the airbag. And for turning you do what they call "pour the drink". If whichever direction you're turning that hand turns until the 5 or 7 position, then stops and the wheel slides thru while being turned with the opposite hand.

    I'm not preaching, just telling that it's not 10 and 2 anymore.
    NTFTC

  16. #16
    Rabid Lana Fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,917
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  17. #17
    Pipe Dreamer
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,348
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Gripping the steering wheel in such a way hinders maneuverability...
    It's not a question of where he grips it...
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

  18. #18
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,619
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGweed View Post
    The new standard is 9 and 3...I just took Driving Dynamics. That's so you don't get slammed with the airbag. And for turning you do what they call "pour the drink". If whichever direction you're turning that hand turns until the 5 or 7 position, then stops and the wheel slides thru while being turned with the opposite hand.

    I'm not preaching, just telling that it's not 10 and 2 anymore.
    Really surprised they would use that term in any type of driving class!
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DethWshBkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,426
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I plan on sending the results to the DMV nation wide.

    So that means by the year 2167 they should get around to taking a look at it, possibly, unless it's lunch time.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

  20. #20
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,947
    Given the spoke position on most steering wheels, 9 and 3 is generally what's being accommodated, although it's probably more like 9:30/2:30, if you really broke it down.

    It won't be long though, until we use toggle sticks from a game controller.
    Will you shut up, man?!

  21. #21
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,423
    I don't care what positions they are teaching today compared to the 10 and 2 clench of yesterday. If they are teaching both hands gripping the wheel at any position it's way more dangerous to maneuver than being lose with the wheel whether it be one hand to two steer it. Way more control using one hand and having that hand not in a death grip clench. The second hand can be used in the same manner if used at all. Death gripping two hands in any position on the wheel in conjunction is dangerous. I worked an airport shuttle service part time for a few years and they demanded we use the 10 and 2 method at all times. I found it to be very uncomfortable with less maneuverability. Not only that but it was way more fatiguing on long trips. I ended up not using that method shortly after leaving their sight. Two hands gripping the wheel [clenching] is a dangerous fatiguing method.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  22. #22
    Pipe Dreamer
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,348
    What happens if you get a front tire blowout?

    That's what I think about sometimes when I'm loosely gripping the wheel with one hand.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

  23. #23
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    What happens if you get a front tire blowout?

    That's what I think about sometimes when I'm loosely gripping the wheel with one hand.
    Been there done that on a few occasions. If your reaction time isn't quick enough to then death grip with two hands you shouldn't be driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  24. #24
    Turns right, slides left
    Reputation: 410sprint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Roughly 10-2 is excellent.

    There is a reason race car drivers are typically around that same position.
    Not really. Hand position depends on what type of race car and the type of racing.

  25. #25
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,619
    Looked at this in my car this morning ('06 Forester). There are bulges on the wheel at 10 and 2 so apparently Subaru is thinking that's where you'll be gripping. At 9 and 3, you have to work around the spokes, which is doable but you have to grip it a bit differently. Tried 8 and 4 and it felt really bad, maybe even dangerous if you need to turn sharply, though I will confess to driving at 6 at times on the highway. Really don't see how a driving course could be recommending that, seems awkward rotating your leading hand up rather than down. And I don't see any effect on airbag impact on any of these once I sat in the car and looked at them.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

  26. #26
    Rabid Lana Fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,917
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    All my clocks are digital, how does this work again?
    I'm forced to drive with my hands at blinking 12 position. Since I'm old, I don't know how to correct it.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  27. #27
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,423
    Oh sure, it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  28. #28
    Rabid Lana Fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,917
    And then it's hilarious!
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackbombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    732
    Left hand at 6 o'clock typically, I hate cars with a steering wheel spoke at 6 o'clock.

  30. #30
    Pipe Dreamer
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,348
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    Left hand at 6 o'clock typically, I hate cars with a steering wheel spoke at 6 o'clock.
    Are you left handed?

    I usually have my right hand at about 12:30, depending on how my alignment is. Left is usually somewhere in the 6-9 area.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

  31. #31
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,846
    Left hand at 10, right hand holding my beer.

  32. #32
    Nothing seems to kill me
    Reputation: CUP-TON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    It's not a question of where he grips it...
    It's a simple question of weight ratios!
    Sweet Jesus don't let the judge release me, what if she's a Zombie or a Dracula and tries to f&*king eat me.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackbombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    732
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Are you left handed?
    No, but my car has 3 pedals.

  34. #34
    Pipe Dreamer
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,348
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    No, but my car has 3 pedals.
    It's been a while since I've had a clutch, maybe ten years now.

    I think I might have been left hand around 6-11:00 back then.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

  35. #35
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Oh sure, it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.
    apparently you slipped on a wet floor and taken a hit to the noggin......seriously.

  36. #36
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,423
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    apparently you slipped on a wet floor and taken a hit to the noggin......seriously.
    You know if we hadn't become such good friends in the asylum I may have taken offense to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,507
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    Left hand at 6 o'clock typically, I hate cars with a steering wheel spoke at 6 o'clock.
    I use my 3rd leg at 6 o'clock. Hands free driving is the way to go.

  38. #38
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,922
    Looks like she has a strong grip...
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

    Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

  39. #39
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    You know if we hadn't become such good friends in the asylum I may have taken offense to that.
    such is life when confined...

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    921
    Right hand at 10, Left hand at 2.

    Think about it.

  41. #41
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,629
    Watch road racing (like touring car racing) and see how they keep their hands. Actually, watch the whole body position. Upright, close to the wheel, elbows bent, relaxed but controlled grip, at roughly 10-2. I actually find I'm most comfortable in a modified performance position (usually one hand high, one low out of laziness).

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: targnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5,267
    One hand (L) at 6

    (R) gutter grip

    Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

  43. #43
    Log off and go ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    No, but my car has 3 pedals.
    So does mine. AND it's an auto trans.

    (2 gas pedals, left and right of the brake.)

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackbombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    732
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    So does mine. AND it's an auto trans.

    (2 gas pedals, left and right of the brake.)
    Why is it set up like that?

    It would be cool to double floor it though!

  45. #45
    Rabid Lana Fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,917
    Yeah, does double floor-it make it go twice as fast?
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  46. #46
    Pipe Dreamer
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,348
    OK, I was just out driving and taking note of where my hands were on the wheel.

    Straight up 12:00 for the majority with either hand, and the other at the ready in case shit happens.

    9 & 3 when driving thru construction zones or when evasive action might need to be taken.

    3:30 & 8:30 (on the spokes) when cruising down the open, uncrowded highway in a relaxed state. Maybe the cruise control is on at this time.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

  47. #47
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,122
    I use the suicide knob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,455
    9 and 3, that's the correct way. That way you don't take your hands off the wheel to make a full lock-to-lock turn.

  49. #49
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    OK, I was just out driving and taking note of where my hands were on the wheel.

    Straight up 12:00 for the majority with either hand, and the other at the ready in case shit happens.

    9 & 3 when driving thru construction zones or when evasive action might need to be taken.

    3:30 & 8:30 (on the spokes) when cruising down the open, uncrowded highway in a relaxed state. Maybe the cruise control is on at this time.
    Sounds rather normal.

    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    9 and 3, that's the correct way. That way you don't take your hands off the wheel to make a full lock-to-lock turn.
    I hope I don't share the same road as you...ever!
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  50. #50
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post


    I hope I don't share the same road as you...ever!
    no shat eah!!

  51. #51
    Log off and go ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    Why is it set up like that?

    It would be cool to double floor it though!
    Member of my family is a right leg amputee.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3,647
    I steer with my knee so that I can drink beer and eat Cheetos with my hands.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  53. #53
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I steer with my knee so that I can drink beer and eat Cheetos with my hands.
    Which is ten fold safer than driving 10 & 2 in a death grip clench.

    Another thing I've noticed with drivers like that is they are always looking straight ahead. Never scanning their surroundings and I doubt they rarely scan their mirrors as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  54. #54
    Log off and go ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I steer with my knee so that I can drink beer and eat Cheetos with my hands.
    How do you text while driving?
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    81
    9 and 3 is what they teach you at HPDE events

  56. #56
    Nothing seems to kill me
    Reputation: CUP-TON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I steer with my knee so that I can drink beer and eat Cheetos with my hands.
    Can't be getting Cheeto dust on the steering wheel.
    Sweet Jesus don't let the judge release me, what if she's a Zombie or a Dracula and tries to f&*king eat me.

  57. #57
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLight350z View Post
    9 and 3 is what they teach you at HPDE events
    you and matadorCE been hangin i see.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackbombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    732
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I steer with my knee so that I can drink beer and eat Cheetos with my hands.
    How do you send text messages with both your hands occupied by something other than your phone?

  59. #59
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,423
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    How do you send text messages with both your hands occupied by something other than your phone?
    I don't know, but I'm now on a mission to go hands free while driving and capture via cell phone camera some of these 10 & 2 death grip Zombie stare straight ahead hazards out there, just for this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  60. #60
    middle ring single track
    Reputation: Moe Ped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,660

    Six and nine?

    OK over in e-bikes I posted this and somebody suggested it would be appreciated here:

    (In context to that OP it had something to do with folks obeying laws and fast cars)

    I've got a funny/sad/Darwin Award story about one of those 5.2/10,000 'Vette drivers; we had a dude in our (rather rural) neighborhood with a (then) late model spiffy red T-top Corvette. Even had vanity plates that said "guilty" when phonetically sounded out. I'll call him "Monty" for reasons that will soon be apparent.

    Monty's "thing" was to find a solo women driver, pull down his shorts and stand up (leaning back on the T-top) whilst passing his "prospect".

    I know all of this because my wife was one of his "victims"; she actually thought it was pretty funny (and no "big deal"; she's a nurse) and had to be persuaded to call in a complaint. The sheriff said she could go to the office and file a complaint (many other women had also reported Monty) but the hassle of following through was not worth what would be a misdemeanor the first time. (Nor the potential risk of retaliation) This was before smartphones and dash cams; without photographic evidence (or the cops seeing it first hand) Monty never faced charges.

    About a year passed and there was news of a fatal roll-over crash; single male occupant---you guessed it; red T-top 'Vette.

    Turns out that besides doing "full Monty" for the ladies he was into nightly excursions were he would engage cruise control, sit on the T-top while steering with a foot and pleasuring himself. This night in particular he came into a corner "hot" and apparently when he tried to slide back down in his seat his shorts got caught (steering column?) and he couldn't bump the brake or otherwise disengage the cruise control. Started to spin out, over controlled, wheels caught a ditch and over it went. Of course Monty wasn't using his seat belt.


    Visualize the hand positions.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

    Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

  61. #61
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I steer with my knee so that I can drink beer and eat Cheetos with my hands.
    Put the Cheetos in the beer and keep one hand on the wheel like I do (in the 9:45 position)
    Will you shut up, man?!

  62. #62
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    OK over in e-bikes I posted this and somebody suggested it would be appreciated here:

    (In context to that OP it had something to do with folks obeying laws and fast cars)

    I've got a funny/sad/Darwin Award story about one of those 5.2/10,000 'Vette drivers; we had a dude in our (rather rural) neighborhood with a (then) late model spiffy red T-top Corvette. Even had vanity plates that said "guilty" when phonetically sounded out. I'll call him "Monty" for reasons that will soon be apparent.

    Monty's "thing" was to find a solo women driver, pull down his shorts and stand up (leaning back on the T-top) whilst passing his "prospect".

    I know all of this because my wife was one of his "victims"; she actually thought it was pretty funny (and no "big deal"; she's a nurse) and had to be persuaded to call in a complaint. The sheriff said she could go to the office and file a complaint (many other women had also reported Monty) but the hassle of following through was not worth what would be a misdemeanor the first time. (Nor the potential risk of retaliation) This was before smartphones and dash cams; without photographic evidence (or the cops seeing it first hand) Monty never faced charges.

    About a year passed and there was news of a fatal roll-over crash; single male occupant---you guessed it; red T-top 'Vette.

    Turns out that besides doing "full Monty" for the ladies he was into nightly excursions were he would engage cruise control, sit on the T-top while steering with a foot and pleasuring himself. This night in particular he came into a corner "hot" and apparently when he tried to slide back down in his seat his shorts got caught (steering column?) and he couldn't bump the brake or otherwise disengage the cruise control. Started to spin out, over controlled, wheels caught a ditch and over it went. Of course Monty wasn't using his seat belt.


    Visualize the hand positions.

    I'm thinking 12:00 and 6:00


    I'm also guessing that your wife didn't want to do the police line-up
    Will you shut up, man?!

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3,647
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    How do you send text messages with both your hands occupied by something other than your phone?
    I have the phone next to me and text between handfuls of Cheetos while watching Hoarders on the in-dash entertainment system.

    In case you're wondering, my phone is rather orange.

    Oh, and I typically chuck my empty beer bottles at road cyclists for annoying me with their presence on MY roads.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3,647
    Quote Originally Posted by CUP-TON View Post
    Can't be getting Cheeto dust on the steering wheel.
    Darn straight, Skippy.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3,647
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Get a grip!

    The 10 & 2 hand position has been taught in driving school for decades. It's my opinion that those that use this technique are far more dangerous on the road than those that don't. Gripping the steering wheel in such a way hinders maneuverability not just in routine driving but, big time in an emergency situation. Whenever I see someone driving like this I try to stay clear for fear of their inexperience as a driver. It seems many new drivers use this technique as well as senior citizens.

    Am I wrong?

    What's your opinion?

    Take the poll as well.
    No, you're not wrong at all.

    You can tell an experienced driver because they're holding a bottle of Jack with their left hand while fondling the stripper sitting next to them with the right while steering with a knee.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,615
    I usually just have one hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. For more spirited driving...I have my hands at the 9 and 3 o'clock position.

    If you look at most "sport" steering wheels...you'll see a bump at roughly the 10 and 2 position. A few steering wheels from back in the day. My current GTI also has the same bumps on the wheel. At the same time the 3 and 9 position has grooves to rest your thumb. So I guess either position works.

    The 10 & 2 hand position...POLL-hartmann.jpg

    The 10 & 2 hand position...POLL-sparco.jpg

    The 10 & 2 hand position...POLL-corsa.jpg

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtywragg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    12
    Heck I don't even remember the last time I drove a car. I gave up a long time ago because my license kept getting suspended.

  68. #68
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,423
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtywragg View Post
    Heck I don't even remember the last time I drove a car. I gave up a long time ago because my license kept getting suspended.
    If a bike is your mode of transportation the style of bars would be your go to #'s.

    Examples:

    Mountain bike would be 9 & 3 depending on sweep of course.

    A cruiser bike with normal cruiser bars would be 10 & 2.

    A road bike in upright position would be 11 & 1.
    Race mode drop bar would be 8 & 4.

    Cruiser bike with ape hanger bars: 11 & 1.

    BMX bars would be 10 & 2.

    I think you get the picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  69. #69
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,423
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    I use the suicide knob.
    Which became illegal to have for what reason? Over correcting, which often ended in a bad way.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  70. #70
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,361
    No, I don't think you are wrong about that.
    I've felt the same way for a long time but more subconsciously. That, because I drive in various positions to afford comfort at times and still be attentive. Sometimes it's 10 and 2 or 9 and 3 but often lower. I change around a lot.

    I go along with the hindrance point but maybe not quite as strong toward dangerous. I can be convinced of danger though in cases when in essence, a driver is merely mimicking what they were taught decades ago thinking more about being correct and less about the need to adapt and be at-the-ready for whatever maneuvering or evasive tactics are needed spontaneously. If they are too focused on what some Drivers Ed person preached 40 years ago, their head clearly isn't in the game. At least not the Game of Traffic and raging testosterone 40 years later.

    * Lets not forget there are many younger drivers out there that have grown up in the age of digital time pieces, thus a clock face with number positions may not be as etched into their minds-eye imagery.

    They are either using the Game Boy arrow-buttons principle or a Play Station Joy stick has been retro-fitted to their steering column.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The 10 & 2 hand position...POLL-retro_skin.png  

    Last edited by bachman1961; 09-03-2017 at 04:45 AM.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

  71. #71
    Sneaker man
    Reputation: mik_git's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,252
    the what now? my car drives itself, I just sit there and relax...
    All the gear and no idea.

  72. #72
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,619
    I added bar end to my steering wheel to provide more hand positions. I may try some aero bars as well, for highway use.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

  73. #73
    Log off and go ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,692
    Of course, in newer cars, the steering wheel does not control the direction of the wheels. Current technology has the steering wheel merely as an input device to an electronic module. The module combines the steering wheel input with data from sensors on the wheels, suspension, brakes, et al, and sends signals to a servo that moves the tires.
    The same steering wheel input will change wheel direction differently depending upon speed and conditions. You are steering by wire, with a computer controlling the actual wheel direction.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

  74. #74
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,361
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I added bar end to my steering wheel to provide more hand positions. I may try some aero bars as well, for highway use.




    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

  75. #75
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,361
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Of course, in newer cars, the steering wheel does not control the direction of the wheels. Current technology has the steering wheel merely as an input device to an electronic module. The module combines the steering wheel input with data from sensors on the wheels, suspension, brakes, et al, and sends signals to a servo that moves the tires.
    The same steering wheel input will change wheel direction differently depending upon speed and conditions. You are steering by wire, with a computer controlling the actual wheel direction.
    And somehow after all the engineering and show-off talent, they forgot to put in the automatic blinker wiring and blinker fluid transfer tank so direction of travel will (at the very least) cause the signaling device to alert others, even though it's not 'fore warning'.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

  76. #76
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,423
    I just witnessed a 10 & 2 driver going 10 mph under the speed limit. I know surprising, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-21-2016, 07:43 PM
  2. One Hand OR Two? .......Poll.
    By DIRTJUNKIE in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 192
    Last Post: 05-18-2015, 03:52 PM
  3. Hand position when climbing
    By John K. in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-03-2013, 10:03 AM
  4. POLL: Rockshox Revelation RLT Ti DUAL POSITION
    By chinaman in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-12-2011, 03:45 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.