Formerly mtbnoobadam

Upset ****head neighbors

First off, sorry for the novel.

The house behind mine used to have an older couple living in it that were super nice and took great care of their backyard. Tom(the older gent) would keep an eye out on my place when I was gone, fix the fence when their dog broke it and a couple times when he had extra fertilizer he actually fertilized my lawn for free. They were great neighbors but unfortunately they moved closer to their kids and now rent the house out.

It kills me to see what has become of the house since the new tenants have completely neglected the yard and the gardens. They have loud ass parties till 4am during the week and bottles and cans somehow end up coming over the fence into my yard on a pretty regular basis I've gotten into with the guy several times now about all this ******** but it doesn't seem like he gives a damn. The police have been called but they treat the situation like I'm the one being the nuisance.

Recently these *****es got a dog. They can't even take care of their own sh1t and they go and get another living thing to take care of. Great idea right The other day I came home early from work and I went into the backyard to clean up the kids toys so I could mow and their dog was barking as usual but this time it seemed desperate. I looked through the fence and saw that they had tied it to a post on the patio with a 4ft leash. It couldn't reach the water dish and it was in the sun on concrete when it was 100+ degrees out. That pissed me off I walked around the block to the front of their house and knocked on the door but of course they weren't home so I went back to my house. On my way back to my house I called the police dept and they told me they wouldn't do anything about the dog and it was animal control's problem but they were closed for the afternoon.

When I got back to my place I went out back to contemplate what to do. A couple years ago I was attacked by a rottweiler so big strange dogs make me really nervous now and this thing is a huge pitbull. While I was contemplating the dog made the decision for me. It wrapped itself around the post so many times now that it was strangling itself. I jumped the fence, said a little prayer as I approached him then grabbed his collar and unclipped the leash. He stopped, looked me right in the eye and lunged at me Thank god it was to lick me and not to tear out my jugular. When the guy got home I told him that if I saw that dog tied up like that again I was going to tie his stupid ass up outside all day without water. I haven't seen the dog tied up since.

I really want to get rid of the a$$holes next door since I own my house and will be here a while. Since the police don't do **** about them what should I do? Within the law of course
    Last edited by CHUM; 07-18-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: language

mtbr member
    Maybe try talking to them and/or the owners in a nice way first. You know that whole you get more bees with honey thing.
    I find that when you charge renters a bit below the going rate, you keep happier, more considerate tenants.
    My .02
    Round and round we go

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    If trying to make peace with them hits a dead end:

Contact Animal Control about the dog incident.

Contact the owner of the house and share the details.

Am I to assume that there is an ordinance that prohibits excessive noise after a certain hour? If so, call the police every time they break that law. It helps to know somebody personally who is a member of that police dept. Otherwise, if the police seem to be looking the other way, go to a higher level and file a complaint again the police dept.

If you keep up on your inconsiderate neighbors, they will leave when their agreement expires.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

since 4/10/2009
    document document document.

motion-sensing cameras work great for documenting people throwing trash in your yard.

I had problems with that when I moved in. I threw the trash back over the back fence, posted "No Trespassing" signs, and set up cameras to catch anyone doing it (my yard is 300+ft deep and the back fence is beyond a woodlot so I cannot see my back fence from the house) and my problems with trash disappeared. there's an assisted living community back there and I was not sure if the problems were from the residents or the grounds crew (or whether they hired out their lawn services or had an in-house crew deal with that, so I'd have had no clue who to complain to without appropriate documentation about who was dumping yard waste over my fence)

strange about the police...in my town (in TX), the police take over the responsibilities of Animal Control when that office is closed. I would also take photos of the dog if you observe problems. photograph a thermometer and display the timestamp on the photo.

I live in a town where most of the renter population are college students who similarly trash the houses where they live. I saw it when I was an undergraduate, too. there's no way around it if you're renting to college students, it seems (and judging by the 4am parties, I'd be guessing that you have a similar case).

AZ
    banned
    Video makes excellent evidence.

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post

Am I to assume that there is an ordinance that prohibits excessive noise after a certain hour? If so, call the police every time they break that law. It helps to know somebody personally who is a member of that police dept. Otherwise, if the police seem to be looking the other way, go to a higher level and file a complaint again the police dept.

If you keep up on your inconsiderate neighbors, they will leave when their agreement expires.
    I agree. The saying you can attract more bees with honey works well with trying to
    get a chick's attention than with low class renters. I think everyone has had those
    kind of neighbors at least once in their lives.

Mine was a dude who was so stupid, he tied his kid's pet rabbit to the front tree with only
    chicken wire around his "pen". Next day a coyote left half the rabbit half eaten in the yard. Great sight for a small kid. Animal control came and just lectured the stupid bastard. Oh yeah, he also posted his tv antenna on the chain link fence next to his sidewalk not thinking he could poke someone's eye out. Stupid people out there.

Good luck with these guys.

see me rollin, they hatin
    how did your thread title make it past the curse filter?
    fap

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    That whole being nice thing proved unsuccessful months ago.

The last time they were partying in the backyard I turned on a sprinkler and had it angled so it shot over the fence. They didn't find it as funny as I did.

Nicole, I'm not sure how that happened but let me tell ya I feel pretty darn special because of it

mtbr member
    Yup, sad but true, some people will show no respect unless you demand it. How far they'll need to be pushed is anyones guess.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Put their dog's own sh!t underneath their car door handles so when they wake up at 1pm to go grab a pack of smokes from 7-11 they have dog poop all over their hands.

Or you could always grab a ladder and make sure they see you returning their property to them by throwing their trash back over the fence. I would throw in a death glare at them while you're at it.

Take photos/videos of their parties. Send them to the owners. Ask the owners to speak with their tenants. Keep calling the cops every time there's a late party. Document every time the cops refuse to come out. Go to the Sergeant and ask him to write a report. If he denies, then ask the Captain. Escalate up the chain of command. Remind them who pays the bills in town by saying things like, "As a tax payer in this city..." etc.. It helps when you talk to cops if you're female (and attractive), so if you have the means use it. It's all in the way you speak with cops too. Don't demand things. Ask them if they can help you. Call animal control about the dog situation. Keep calling animal control every time that happens.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Kill them?

Harsh but it works.

Note: Following my advise "might" get you in trouble if caught. Do so at your own risk.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    how did your thread title make it past the curse filter?
    Fuck!

I don't really have anything to say about the situation. I'm moving into a townhouse with a few friends next semester, so that's my first time living without my parents and not in a dorm. We got lucky, though; the townhouse is part of a larger gated community of similar townhouses all owned/managed by the same people.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    I don't really have anything to say about the situation. I'm moving into a townhouse with a few friends next semester, so that's my first time living without my parents and not in a dorm
    LMAO Um, I hate to break it to you kid but YOU are about to become the neighbor everyone hates.

mtbr member
    Thank you for saving that dog's life! If you'd like, I might be able to find some rescue groups that could help out with taking the dog from them and finding a suitable home for him. Take some pictures of the dog tied up, the temperature and send them along. I hate to read about irresponsible people jeopardizing the lives of animals through their own ignorance...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sumgai View Post
    LMAO Um, I hate to break it to you kid but YOU are about to become the neighbor everyone hates.
    that's not always true. I've lived in mixed communities with a population of students and other folks before, and not ALL of the students have been terrible, disrespectful neighbors. and to be completely honest, the most disrespectful neighbors I've ever had have been adults who should know better.

overall, I've been mostly pretty lucky with my neighbors. I had some party animal neighbors in college, but one of them had been a friend for years, so if I ever had a problem, I went to him and it got resolved without any issues.

in the dorms, I shared a floor with a bunch of good guys, and we ganged up on the odd idiot that made trouble.

and now that I own a home (my first), the worst neighbor is a couple houses down who has too many damn outdoor cats, but that's my only problem with them. I otherwise have good neighbors and we invite each other over from time to time. I have a rental house next door and while I'm not thrilled by that, I've been lucky to have pretty good renters staying there (young families) and not students. their landlord is an idiot and does not provide them with ANY outdoor storage. no garage. no shed. and they have to maintain their own yard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    dont make problems bigger than they are. you can't win that way. do what you have to, file reports, write letters, make calls and talk to you neighbor when possible. and I don't mean make nice. be assertive, straight to the point and don't let it get to you (too much). if the police dont give you mind, then complain to the mayor. talk to your other neighbors and see if you can get them to file complaints too.

we had a similar situation. a nice couple who lived here for years suddenly had their life turn south. drugs, visitors in all times of the day, and finally, somebody jumped my back fence and tried to break into our house. the neighbors got together and filed multiple complaints. the police were forced to make regular drive bys, and towards the end hourly patrols up to the point where they knocked on their door on anything odd, such as a middle of the night entry by a drug buyer. the couple moved away.

a steady effort to get them in line will either modify their behaviour or make them move away. either one is your only way out. I know this is easier said than done, but don't let it get to you. treat it like business. youll get by life easier that way.

dont let this be you.... Texas

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sumgai View Post
    It's in a community that's specifically for students. The friends I'm moving in with also don't party very much -- two of the three of them went to maybe three or four parties last year (when we were living in the dorms), and the third friend and I don't even party.

Thanks for assuming that all students are shitty neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    in the dorms, I shared a floor with a bunch of good guys, and we ganged up on the odd idiot that made trouble.
    Yup. For the most part, I had good people living in my hall when I was in the dorms. One of my roommates (out of the three of us) was a self-centered prick, but I generally avoided him and I think part of the reason he was so ill-adjusted is that he had simply never been in such a social situation before.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

No Stranger to danger....
    have them bashed, it will be worth the money, if that fails, have them knocked off, and make sure you get some trophies like ears of fingers to dry out n look at any time your feeling down, drastic times call for drastic measures, cheers
    p.s, just make sure you do your homework first, n pay the extra cash to get a quality dude to do the hit, you dont want some idiot doing it to stuff it up.....

mtbr member
    I didn't read the other posts, but can't you contact the owners and tell them that their tenants are destroying their house? Perhaps they would take action and have them evicted and with a lot of luck, you'll get better neighbors next time.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Call up Tom since he rents the place out and tell him what's going on since he's the one in charge of the property. I'm not sure if you can take legal action against him to get the tenants evicted, but that's a last resort option. Take pictures of the yard and yours and the dog as proof. Get your neighbors involved if they are willing to do so.

You can call the humane society if needed about the dog. All animal control is do is give out a ticket. If the dog was loose in the street, they'd pick it up but I don't think they have legal authority to go into yards.

Your city may have an ordinance about pit bulls. A lot of cities do. I know they aren't bad dogs, but they have a bad rep and many cities have banned them.

Thankfully I have pretty good neighbors and I hope it stays that way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I know how you feel man. Sad part is i'm the good neighbor and my wife and I are the youngest. The neighbors to my west are middle aged arsegaskets who we get into at LEAST one confrontation a month with. I had to draw my gun on him a few months ago. The neighbor to the east is a senile old lady who really shouldnt be living on her own. Shes not so much of an annoyance as she is a worry. Her kids will knock on the door from time to time and ask if Ive heard from her in the last week and stuff like that. The people behind me are the parents of the biotch to the west so they dont help. And four right out of high school guys just moved in to the east of them and ive already had words with them in the last 2 months.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post

This.

I think you need to go further with the police on the noise issues. I'd assume you have a bylaw/ordinance that prevents loud noise at 4am (locally it's 10pm iirc). Get the other neighbours in on it too. Make sure they all call during a party night so you get a cop out there (e.g. on the start of a party call them all up, tell them to call in a complain at midnight). Once you have a case file started you can reference that during the next event, "It's the renters @ 1234 Street ave, case number 12-3456-78. This is a re-occurring issue."

And as ambassadorhawg suggested, if they won't pay attention to complaint calls (as they should) take it up a level. Also ask your friends if they know anyone in the dept. I know a couple of people in our local PD and I was able to confirm that a couple rental houses a few blocks away are being watched (multiple noise complaints, property damage to neighbours, drug use etc). Once they have a case going on them they are more likely to respond quickly. He also told me how to word a complaint call, part of which is stating it's an ongoing issue. They are less likely to respond to a one-time event for a noise complaint. Knowing this is continuous is important.

One other thing is you can push civil claims regarding the trash. Video would help, but in a civil case more likely than not is the level of proof you are aiming for (not beyond a shadow of doubt like a criminal case). Littering probably falls under trespass of chattels and there are actual damages you can apply for since cleaning up is a non-trivial event. Might even be able to get punitive if you can show that this isn't the first time and you attempted to deal with it previously (e.g. written correspondence to the neighbour letting them know it happened and asking them to clean it up). Chances are they will either not respond or won't respond in a friendly manner. That will help your case.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Double post

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Unfortunately all I have for contact info for Tom is a mailing address since he never had a cell phone. After the dog incident I wrote him a letter so we'll see what he has to say about the situation. As far as helping the dog out I called the lady that runs the pitbull rescue that I adopted my boxer from and she is going to try to help out. If nothing else as a last resort I may just grab the dog in the middle of the night and take it to her rescue shelter. It's not like they'll miss him anyway, he's outside 24-7.

As far as your idea Tone's L'axeman I have thought about that a lot as I'm flinging their trash back over the fence. I'm certain the best use for these people in this world is to use them as compost to fix the gardens they've destroyed or as dog food.

meow meow
    out party them. become a nuisence to them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    out party them. become a nuisence to them.
    i like this idea. alot. let's get those evites rollin'

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Video makes excellent evidence.
    This is probably all you need. If you would have had a video of the dog the first time you saw it and a video of you walking up to the front door and knocking and showing the time and a 2nd video of the dog later all tangled up and showed that to animal control they would be forced to do something. If you didn't untie that dog it could have died, and you put your self in danger becuase if that pit was mean it could have killed you once you untied it.

I would still talk to animal control but with a video its pretty hard for the neighbors to make up a story to cover it up. I would be ready to take video next time, and I would document anything bad they do with videos as if this ever goes to court you will have some backgroup evidence to show that its not a one time situation. I would think a cell phone video would be good enough.

mtbr member
    Animal control taking away a pit bull from an owner usually results in a dead pit bull. Better to send that video and evidence to a rescue group or a humane society that you know has a no kill policy. Do take the video though. If you send it to me I'll see what I can do.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    I've had good luck with a paintball gun. I live on the 3rd floor right above the pool of our apartment complex and we have morons jumping in and getting loud at 2-4 a.m. all the time. They're usually too busy to be watching my come out, so I just lay down, pop a couple shots into the biggest ones and then lay there and not move. It usually gets em out and the cops come too. Kinda funny when they're the ones calling the cops to rat themselves out. Do it from another neighbors yard that you don't like. Set off a new war...

mtbr member
    LOL. I was thinking the paintball thing. Just set up their trash on the fence and take pot shots back into their yard. More points if you actually hit someone.

Other thing you could do is set off your water sprinkler to go into their yard during a party. Then use the paint ball gun when they jump the fence to move it and call the cops for trespassing. After all, you were just innocently watering your yard when the cops come to see what's going on. Get all the neighbors involved on different nights for more water fun.

Def check into a rescue group/humane society so the dog doesn't get destroyed. He's neglected, not a threat. Sounds like he's a sweetie.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    The dog is in good hands now

So the gal from the pitbull rescue spoke to my neighbor about the dog and it turns out that he's watching it for a friend that just deployed to Afghanistan (I'm sure his buddy would be real pleased to hear how his dog was being treated). She offered to take the dog and keep him at her rescue shelter free of charge until his owner comes back from deployment. My neighbor obviously wants nothing to do with the dog and he offered up his buddies email address so she could get ahold of the dog's owner and ask for permission to take the dog until he gets back. She decided it was best for the dog to just take him now and assume the owner's response will be yes. So he is now hanging out with about 20 other dogs on a farm with a climate controlled kennel, food and water

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    i like this idea. alot. let's get those evites rollin'
    sometime you just gotta say fuk it and throw a kegger

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    video, photo, document.
    If they're renters contact the real estate agent they are renting through to complain and also their landlord.
    If they are home owners contact the council, animal welfare and police.

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    The dog is in good hands now

So the gal from the pitbull rescue spoke to my neighbor about the dog and it turns out that he's watching it for a friend that just deployed to Afghanistan (I'm sure his buddy would be real pleased to hear how his dog was being treated). She offered to take the dog and keep him at her rescue shelter free of charge until his owner comes back from deployment. My neighbor obviously wants nothing to do with the dog and he offered up his buddies email address so she could get ahold of the dog's owner and ask for permission to take the dog until he gets back. She decided it was best for the dog to just take him now and assume the owner's response will be yes. So he is now hanging out with about 20 other dogs on a farm with a climate controlled kennel, food and water
    That's good to hear about that outcome. As for the neighbors, video tape and take pictures for proof. Next time you call the police and they do nothing, request to talk to someone higher up in rank then who is present. If not go to the station file a complaint against the officers that did you no help and your neighbors. Do it enough and something will be done to your neighbors.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

Inspector Gadget
    Good luck. I'm 7 years into dealing with 2 different fawk head neighbors. One is a rental and the other are home owners.

I've done it all. Cops, reports, confrontations, paybacks, calling home owner & property mgr. Been told I'm the dick while asking them to be quiet on their front porch in my PJ's at 2am.

At this point my wife and I are seriously considering renting a house and renting out our home that we signed our lives away for. All because of these fawktards and their entitlement mentalities, the situation is in a stalemate. I think I will find the perfect neighbors for them :evil:
    It's the perfect time of year, Somewhere far away from here.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Hey!!! The thread title has been bleated out now!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Tool
    Next time you send Tom a letter, consider sending it via registered mail. This may give it more weight in Tom's mind and encourage him to take action. Appeal to his interests in the letter and offer to document incidents for him...let him know you realize that bad tenants are probably just as much trouble to him as they are to you.

Good luck,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Members who have read this thread: 0