Zipfizz Energy Drink- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Zipfizz Energy Drink

Been using Zipfizz on and off for about a year. I use it occasionally, maybe after work for an afternoon ride, or when I feel sluggish and need a little boost. Seems to help with energy levels without making me feeling jittery.

Having said that, lately there seems to be more negative press about sucralose (brand name Splenda) which is one of the ingredients in Zipfizz to sweeten the drink. Donít really know how much sucralose is actually in one tube, but Iíd rather just avoid it if I can.I am now on the hunt for an alternative that doesnít use artificial sweeteners.

Any suggestions for an energy drink or supplement. I usually ride trails about 3 times a week, anywhere from 15-25 miles per ride.My typical rides are about 1.5 to 2 hours.I donít race.
    Last edited by kickhorse; 08-29-2016 at 04:03 PM.

Team Velveetaô
    Quote Originally Posted by kickhorse View Post
    Been using Zipfizz on and off for about a year. I use it occasionally, maybe after work for an afternoon ride, or when I feel sluggish and need a little boost. Seems to help with energy levels without making me feeling jittery.

Having said that, lately there seems to be more negative press about sucralose (brand name Splenda) which is one of the ingredients in Zipfizz to sweeten the drink. Donít really know how much sucralose is actually in one tube, but Iíd rather just avoid it if I can.I am now on the hunt for an alternative that doesnít use artificial sweeteners.

Any suggestions for an energy drink or supplement. I usually ride trails about 3 times a week, anywhere from 15-25 miles per ride.My typical rides are about 1.5 to 2 hours.I donít race.
    When you say energy drink, ah. Hmm.

I don't understand why people drink sugar-free energy drinks. Unless what they want is a Monster or Red Bull. But then I find all sweet sugar-free things disgusting. All that crap, sucralose, aspartame, whatever... why? It's been synthesized in a lab to fool your taste buds. Running that chemical through your body for the sake of pretending you are drinking something sweet seems like a bad bargain to me.

As for bike riding: Unless you're just dicking around riding a quarter mile on your bike, your body needs calories. Not sugar free. Not sugar necessarily, but maybe a mix of sucrose, fructose, maltodextrin. No sucralose. No aspartame.

I use Tailwind Nutrition. I like the mix of carbohydrate sources and the amount of sodium and I like the taste. There are some caffeinated flavors if you really need that kind of boost. If it had sucralose it would be useless to me.

But if what you really want is a stimulant, have a stimulant. Have a monster or whatever.

I would recommend one of the sugared ones.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"