What % Milkfat- Mtbr.com

Thread: What % Milkfat

mtbr member
    May 2008

What % Milkfat

Curious, what % do you go with for milk, yogurt, etc and why?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    5% Greek. Tastes better, keeps me full longer.

I hate milk, but if I drank it, it would be whole milk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A close friend of mine goes to the local convenient mart to buy coffee...has for years. He fills the large cup with creamer instead and drinks it down. That's his %! He bikes every day rain or shine as he has no car...oh...and he now has a defribulator in his chest...
    lean forward

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride View Post
    A close friend of mine goes to the local convenient mart to buy coffee...has for years. He fills the large cup with creamer instead and drinks it down. That's his %! He bikes every day rain or shine as he has no car...oh...and he now has a defribulator in his chest...
    That's why I usually get 2%. The whole stuff is loaded with saturated fat.

mtbr member
    Remove the a fat & it's still loaded with lactose. That's why I only have it on my steak with a side of raw jelly beans.

9 lives
    I have not had dairy-milk since my late teens. Replaced it with dairy-free when I was vegetarian. Initially, back in the 1980's and 90's... the only replacement was soy. Now there's oatmilk (it's thicker consistency), hemp, cashew, almond, rice (thinner), flax, coconut etc etc. So many choices to choose from. It's awesome. Soy has high protein, coconut is great for cooking. I've been totally plant based ie vegan for 5 years. Milk is for baby cows

What % Milkfat-4es3oj6bc6o21.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Whole milk for basis of yoghurt, cheese, etc. Cream, not half and half, for coffee. I don't drink much milk.
    I don't worry about dietary stuff too much, but it seems cardio disease sure went up when we started dropping fats from our diets. Vitamin K2 variants (MH-4 and MK-7 as opposed to K1) for instance, are only found in the fatty parts of animal products and show some signs of being important in reducing calcium buildup in arteries and mediating calcium levels in bones.
    I don't know about that, I just prefer the taste.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    ... Now there's oatmilk (it's thicker consistency), hemp, cashew, almond, rice (thinner), flax, coconut etc etc. So many choices to choose from. It's awesome.
    I've looked at those but most of have about zero nutritive value, except perhaps for some fortification. If you like drinking them, it's probably better than drinking soda.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    That's why I usually get 2%. The whole stuff is loaded with saturated fat.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with fats.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I have not had dairy-milk since my late teens. Replaced it with dairy-free when I was vegetarian. Initially, back in the 1980's and 90's... the only replacement was soy. Now there's oatmilk (it's thicker consistency), hemp, cashew, almond, rice (thinner), flax, coconut etc etc. So many choices to choose from. It's awesome.
    I'm not sure about some of the thickeners they put in those milks (like Carrageenan in some). But we make our own - https://almondcow.co

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Squirrel View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with fats.
    Including saturated fats?

https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-liv...saturated-fats

There’s a lot of conflicting information about saturated fats. Should I eat them or not?
    The American Heart Association recommends limiting saturated fats – which are found in butter, cheese, red meat and other animal-based foods. Decades of sound science has proven it can raise your “bad” cholesterol and put you at higher risk for heart disease.

The more important thing to remember is the overall dietary picture. Saturated fats are just one piece of the puzzle. In general, you can’t go wrong eating more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and fewer calories.

When you hear about the latest “diet of the day” or a new or odd-sounding theory about food, consider the source. The American Heart Association makes dietary recommendations only after carefully considering the latest scientific evidence.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    My milk comes in form of brie (80% of calories) and Gouda.

I'm more concerned about avoiding milk sugar.

BTW, milk comes from mammals. One can argue if we should consume dairy, but soy et al by definition can't be milk.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Whole/Full Fat. The fat-free/reduced fat/skim dairy products taste awful

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Including saturated fats?
    Gotta make your own decision, but there's plenty of articles and studies that "prove" both sides of this debate, and every possibility in between.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Whole milk is 3.25 percent milk fat, so if you’re on the 2 percent it’s not that much lower in fat than whole.

Guess you can cherry pick your studies to make you feel good about what you eat, but for me, when I gave up all dairy and reduced my red meat consumption my bad cholesterol went from 192 to 115. The guv’ment just reversed it’s dietary finding that eating eggs (cholesterol) does not affect blood serum cholesterol. Now it says limit egg consumption.

There’s a protein in dairy (casein) that many people have a sensitivity to, but it takes a couple weeks for you to notice that you feel better after you quit dairy.

Too much soy can cause elevated estrogen levels in men.

So, I use almond milk. For cooking and cereal. I drink water.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    0.5% or 1%

Skim is just too thin and watery for my taste. So I mix 1% and skim to get 0.5.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

mtbr member
    2% milk in my tea every morning. I don't eat yogurt or any other dairy product regularly. I occasionally eat cheese and when I do it's whole fat and I eat a lot!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.