Weirdly not thirsty on long ride- Mtbr.com
    eri
    mtbr member

Weirdly not thirsty on long ride

Had a weird time hydrating last weekend.

Was riding in the desert for a bit more than 6 hours, casual effort but 5k feet of climbing. Normally I am a heavy sweater and drink 1L/hour - like a clock, and more when its hot.

I planned to drink the 3L bladder (with 1000 calories of tailwind) and refill (with filter) at the next water. Weird thing is that I wasn't very thirsty all day and ended up doing the entire ride only taking in 2.5L of water.

Temp was 60 with a perfect breeze so my temp was perfect all day (never openly sweated.)

Main thing is that I wasn't drinking so wasn't getting calories. Fortunately I brought extra solid food so was able to keep my intake comfortable ~350/hour (shot blocks and clif bars.)

Finished the ride and felt wonderful, no dehydration, etc.
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    How was your urine? Clear? slight pale yellow? Apple juice color?

Thirst is one of the last effects of hypohydration. A lot of other physiological changes have already occurred before the sensation of thirst kicks in.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

eri
    mtbr member
    Pee was perfect slight yellow.

Really I had no negative effects from that ride. Felt great the next day even though the drive home was stressful 5hr traffic nightmare in pouring rain.

I did the same ride in hotter sun the year before and drank 6L, ran out, and drank more when I got back to the car.

About that second statement... I always took it to be true. Was what I learned in sports medicine classes in the 80s.

This winter I read Noakes "Waterlogged" and it at least got me to reconsider. He punches holes in some papers that are the source of the pre-drink conclusion, and he cites evidence that thirst works pretty well as an indicator.

That said I tried twice to use less water this winter (not pre-drink) and my body wasn't having any of it. I was damn thirsty unless I got water at the rate I was used to.

What Noakes says is that for most people the body is actually really good at determining when you need water. I'm finding that appears to be true for me too. I listen and it tells me I'm thirsty, and it sure seems like I'm getting the right amount.
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Are you using glycerin?

9 lives
    Dehydration occurs when our body is releasing more fluids (either through urine, vomit, or sweat) than it is taking in. If left untreated, dehydration begins to disrupt the body's metabolic processes and can lead to conditions like hypernatremia, or an excess of sodium in the blood. Luckily, dehydration is easy to spot

10 warning signs

1. Increased Heart Rate : If your body isn't getting enough water, your blood becomes thicker, requiring your heart to work harder to pump it. This leads to increased heart rate and a higher level of stress on your body.

2. Bad Breath And Dry Mouth: Next time your breath is a little smelly, you might want to drink a glass of water instead of reaching for a mint. Water stimulates your body's production of saliva, which is a natural antibacterial.

3. Sudden Food Cravings: Our bodies often think we're hungry when what we're actually experiencing is thirst.

4. Joint And Muscle Pain: The cartilage and joints in your body are comprised of 80% water, so you've got to stay hydrated to keep everything running smoothly. Water lessens the friction between bones and also helps reduce muscle cramps.

5. Intense Headaches: Perhaps the most tell-tale sign of dehydration is a headache. When your body is short on water, there is a decrease in the fluid that surrounds your brain, making it more susceptible to aches and pains. Additionally, dehydration makes it harder for oxygen and blood to flow to the brain.

6. Upset Stomach: Water helps keep your gastrointestinal tract healthy, which reduces the likelihood of constipation and makes bowel movements easier.

7. Fatigue: Reach for water first before that cup of coffee. Low water levels mean low blood pressure and less oxygen reaching the brain.

8. Infrequent Urination: The less water you take in, the less water your body puts out. A healthy rate of urination is four to seven times each day. Urine allows your body to get rid of harmful toxins, so, when you aren't urinating frequently enough, they stick around in your body far longer than they should. Another easy way to tell if you are dehydrated is looking at the color of your urine. Dark yellow urine indicates that your body needs more water.

9. Dry Skin: Moisturizer doesn't just come in a bottle. Drinking plenty of water is an effective way to ensure that your skin stays soft and smooth instead of cracked and dry.

10. Trouble Focusing: Just as dehydration can lead to headaches and migraines, it can also impede your ability to think clearly.

sauce: https://www.wimp.com/these-10-signal...aign=traffic2/
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

eri
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Are you using glycerin?
    Not that I know of.

Plain oatmeal and black coffee for breakfast, then tailwind and clif products.

I was not dehydrated.

Point of my post was more I'm impressed by how much variation I experienced in water use, and that i'm glad I brought 1000 calories of solid food.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good endorsement for that Tailwind Endurance mix.

Really no shocker there with 60F and very low humidity. What would you need water for, except to choke down those Clif bars?

I have days like that, though. Don't feel the need to drink much, no ill effects. If you start fully hydrated, you can go quite awhile before really needing more water, so your intake during the ride is lower.
    My "perceived needs" change dramatically in mild weather, so I don't worry about it.
    I'm in Alabama, and have to stay on top of hydration when it gets warmer. I go through a lot less water when backpacking(never mtb'd out West) in the high desert, Rockies, or Sierras at similar temps.
    Love the SW. The low humidity feels wonderful, and I'm always looking forward to the next trip there.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Glycerin is sometimes used by long distance runners and cyclists. A small amount added to
    your drinking water helps retain fluid in the tissues. WADA and USADA were looking into banning the practice. I have not heard if they added glycerin to the banned substance list. I do not use it anyway so I did not follow the controversy.

eri
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Glycerin is sometimes used by long distance runners and cyclists. A small amount added to
    your drinking water helps retain fluid in the tissues. WADA and USADA were looking into banning the practice. I have not heard if they added glycerin to the banned substance list. I do not use it anyway so I did not follow the controversy.
    Glycerol and hydration

Same as with the protein studies, the tests that found a benefit from glycerin failed to account for the extra calories that people were given. When calories were equalized the benefit disappeared.

Can you share better info?