Weight Maintenance vs Loss before race?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Weight Maintenance vs Loss before race?

I've been using MyFitnessPal (good app, terrible name) to track calories over the past year or so, and am down 30 lbs to my 'first' target, 170 lbs. (Daily weigh-ins, rolling average ala the hacker's diet).

I've got my first ever 6-hour solo race in 3 weeks. Just to make sure that, between now and then, I don't lose any muscle, my tentative plan is to change my current goal to 'maintain 170' (app says I get an additional 180kcal/day, woo!), and try to hit my overall calorie goals (50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat).

Opinions?

3 weeks isn't super long, so I don't expect any massive changes either direction, but just want to focus on being prepared for my first event of the season.

After the race I'll be back on the weight loss plan, shooting to get down to 150 (I'm 5'6", so I don't think this is at all 'too light') before the Park City Point to Point in September. Would I be better off just staying on my current 0.5 lb/week goal, and just really make sure I'm not under-eating the last week or so?

achiever

Weight Maintenance vs Loss before race?

First of all, congrats on your weight loss! Keep it up. I'm 5'5", weighed 205 or so 15 or 16 years ago & have managed to drop as low as 140 but tend to get down to 145 during riding season & up to 155 or so in winter but I hope to keep that to 150 next year.
    Anyway... Honestly, I'd continue to lose for 2 of the 3 weeks & adjust that last week to maintain. Then a few days out from the race, I'd probably add in more calories in carbs & cut a bit of fat & protein to balance things out & make absolutely sure you go into the race with your glycogen stores topped off.
    I'd also highly recommend "Racing Weight QuickStart Guide" afterward. It's a really good nutrition book for endurance athletes. It helped me a lot. I went from starving myself to the point that my metabolism was slowed to a crawl to eating more than twice as much & lost weight. The book focuses a lot on how to fuel for endurance events & reduce body fat rather than simply losing weight.
    Good luck in your race & getting down to your goal weight!