Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
Results 1,701 to 1,742 of 1742
    9 lives
    The 5 Healthiest Types Of Rice

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-5-healthiest-typs-rice-header-v2-830x467.jpg

Rice is an ancient staple for billions of the planet's modern denizens, but it has come under attack in recent decades. First came the low-carb craze, which considered eating rice an express ticket to Pudgeville. Now the upswing in Paleo eating has spurred a new generation of rice bashers into full gallop.

For many cultures, this humble grain symbolizes nourishment, prosperity, beauty, and even fertility—hence the custom of tossing rice at newly wedded couples). For people who train hard, rice can provide a winning mix of the nutrients an active body needs to perform its best.

Though other gluten-free grains like quinoa and amaranth are all the rage these days, rice remains a nutritious choice if you know what to look for.

Health-food stores, ethnic markets, and even larger supermarkets are increasingly full of the most healthful and flavorful varieties of rice from around the globe. Here's how to get the most out of the world's most abundant foodstuff.

Let's take a look at the pros and cons of several popular types.

1. Brown Rice
    Varieties of brown rice such as Jasmine or Basmati still contain their germ and bran layers, meaning they provide fitness buffs with a range of important nutrients including B vitamins, bone-building phosphorus, and magnesium. Although data shows that about half of all Americans don't consume their daily quota of magnesium, this mineral is needed for proper muscle functioning. Low levels of magnesium may also contribute to or at least predict heart disease.

The dietary fiber that brown rice provides—about 5 grams in each cooked cup—can help quell the hunger pangs that lead to gut-busting junk-food binges by slowing down digestion. Brown rice has a great nutty flavor absent from the white variety.

Directions for a perfect pot of rice every time:

Place 1 cup brown rice, 1 1/2 cups water, and a couple pinches of salt in a medium-sized saucepan.
    Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer covered until rice is tender; it takes about 30 minutes.
    Remove from heat and let stand covered for 10 minutes.
    Fluff rice with a fork.
    For better flavor, cook your rice in coconut water. One taste of the finished extra-sweet rice and you'll never go back to using regular water again.

2. Wild Rice
    It looks like rice and grows like rice but, botanically speaking, wild rice is not rice at all. Native to North America, wild rice is a seed of an aquatic grass traditionally harvested via canoe by indigenous populations. Much of the modern wild rice on store shelves has been tamed, cultivated in man-made paddies.

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-5-healthiest-typs-rice-v2-1-700xh.jpg

You can still find some organic, hand-harvested, lake-grown wild rice in certain speciality stores. Wild rice delivers an impressive range of nutrients: phosphorus, immune- and testosterone-boosting zinc, magnesium, and B vitamins, including the cancer-protective folate.

Wild rice has a chewy texture and smoky, nutty flavor which stands up well to rich-tasting items like game meats or when used in soups and salads. The only downside is that wild rice can take up to 60 minutes to cook, so consider preparing a big batch. Or soak the grains overnight, which will slash the cooking time by about 30 percent.

3. Sprouted Rice
    If you want the most nutritional bang for your buck, pick up a bag of sprouted rice. To make sprouted rice, companies kickstart the process of germinating the grain. The process encourages the rice to start growing into a plant—which increases its nutritional value.

A "Journal of Functional Foods" study found that germinating brown rice caused an uptick in levels of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), a compound which may support your mood and heart health. Sprouted foods such as rice are easier to digest and are quicker to cook since the hard outer shell is softened during the sprouting process.

Made with California-grown sprouted brown rice, Planet Rice is a top-notch brand.

4. Wehani Rice
    A creation of the forward-thinking Lundberg Family Farms in northern California, Wehani is a russet-colored, slightly chewy, long-grain heirloom rice which fills the house with the appetite-inducing aroma of buttery popcorn as it cooks. Its flavor is somewhat reminiscent of brown basmati rice. Keep an eye out for the stellar black Japonica rice.

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-5-healthiest-typs-rice-v2-2-700xh.jpg

As with other whole-grain rice, Wehani is rich in complex, slow-digesting carbohydrates needed to fuel hard-charging muscles. While we love all protein does for a sculpted physique, it's important to remember that carbohydrates deliver most of the energy needed to sustain those high-intensity gym sessions. Think of a side dish of whole-grain rice with your meal as fuel for your engines during workouts.

But beware: Go easy on Wehani and other less-processed rice types shortly before its time to hoist that iron; the extra fiber may leave your tummy crying foul mid-workout.

5. Black Rice
    This striking variety is cultivated in China and possesses a praise-worthy sweet, nutty taste, and chewy texture. Recent research discovered that the bran layer of black rice contains a surfeit of anthocyanins. These are the same type of antioxidants, found in dark berries such as blueberries, which sweep through a body looking for cell-damaging free radicals to knock out.

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-dsc03409_fotor-1024x683.jpg

Look for Chinese black rice at some health-food stores and Asian markets. A reliable brand is Lotus Foods, which sells the grain under the name Forbidden Rice ... folklore says that the prized grains were once only served to emperors in ancient China.

Not to be confused with wild rice or Thai black sticky rice, this non-sticky medium-grain rice becomes a vibrant purple when cooked and can add a real "wow" factor to mealtime. It's especially good in a stir-fry or salad.

Breakfast Tropical Black Rice
    Ingredients

1 cup black rice
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ground ginger
    3 tbsp raw honey (optional or use Agave for vegan)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    2 cups coconut milk beverage
    1 mango, cubed
    1/2 cup unsalted shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
    1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
    Directions

Place 2 cups water, black rice, cinnamon, and ginger into a medium-sized saucepan.
    Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered until all of the water has been absorbed—about 30 minutes.
    Stir in honey and vanilla.
    Let cool for five minutes.
    Divide among 4 serving bowls and top with coconut milk, mango, pistachios, and coconut flakes.

The Post-Workout Option Only White Rice
    Rice consists of three components: the endosperm, the bran, and the germ. The bran is where much of the dietary fiber is found. The germ harbors a bundle of vitamins and minerals. When brown rice is processed to make its ghostly counterpart, the bran and germ are removed, leaving behind what's mainly just endosperm.

In the endosperm, you find little more than quick-digesting carbohydrates, making white rice a nutritional dud compared to more nutrient-dense brown. By encouraging a sudden rise in blood sugar, forkfuls of white rice can also spiral into fat gain. For this reason, it's best to prioritize the whole-grain guises of rice discussed below.

If you need a sushi fix, however, the best time to do so is after a vigorous workout when your body can better benefit from the fast-digesting carbohydrates white rice provides. For the most part, the carbs will be quickly taken up by your muscles at such times to replace spent energy stores.

sauce https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...M_FB_Nutrition

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-34318329_2118112351766538_4226563636799209472_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    "PUDDLES PITY PARTY”—THE SAD, 7-FOOT TALL, SINGING CLOWN—IS VEGAN

Singing sad clown Mike Geier (known professionally as “Puddles Pity Party”) revealed during a rare interview recently that he is vegan. Speaking with Iowa-based publication Little Village Magazine, the shy, 6’ 8’’ performer discussed his headlining show at Witching Hour Festival in Iowa City next week. “I have some great friends from Iowa City, Marshalltown, and Davenport,” Geier said. “And, although I’m vegan, I’m intrigued by the pie shake at the Hamburg Inn.”

The clown usually pantomimes to communicate, but on stage, his singing voice is an impressive baritone that fellow vegan musician DJ Khaled praised during the clown’s surprising audition performance—when he sang “Chandeliers” by vegan singer Sia—on reality show America’s Got Talent, albeit with the recommendation that Geier cheer up. Geier revealed that some of his favorite beings on the planet are cats, dogs, and Kevin Costner, before explaining that he is not a typical horror movie clown. “I don’t know why only scary clowns get all the press. There are plenty of non-scary clowns out there,” the vegan clown said. “I’m a hugger, not a mugger! My show is all about acceptance. Unconditional support for all. And sing-alongs!”

sauce https://vegnews.com/2018/10/puddles-...-clownis-vegan
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Gigantic Hawk
    Puddles is awesome. He did some great work with Postmodern Jukebox also.

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    Puddles is awesome. He did some great work with Postmodern Jukebox also.
    Yes he is! We have a signed photo of him holding a kitty cat. love his music
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Throw back funnies

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-43828526_2056251417729364_7349645670111772672_n.jpg

.... or just turn out your porch light and close the curtains
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    A documentary (narrated by Rich Roll) about world record marathon runner Fiona Oakes who (is vegan and manages an animal santuary) decides to run the worlds toughest ultra marathon ( 250km race through the Sahara Desert.)

Fiona Oakes has made a name for herself as a unique endurance runner. She is the fastest woman in the world to run a marathon on all seven continents, and the north pole, in both cumulative and elapsed time. Fiona’s achievements are made even more astounding due to the fact that she was told at age 14 that she would never walk properly, let alone ever run. She would undergo more than 17 radical knee surgeries which ultimately led to having her entire right kneecap removed. The process was agonizing, the rehab worse, the records she’s gone on to set even more astounding.

With overcoming her own adversity, Fiona’s true drive to achieve incredible feats of speed and human endurance are motivated by a deep desire to raise awareness for the plight of animals. Her achievements help fund a 450+ animal sanctuary that she takes care of every day.

https://runningforgoodfilm.com/#about1-section
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    PSA: Drunk, Belligerent Wasps Are Terrorizing Beer Gardens

How much cider does it take to get a wasp drunk is not, as it turns out, a riddle. Rather, it's a real problem, considering the answer is “very little” and the result is irritable, sting-happy wasps.

Recently, the Daily Mail proclaimed that, “Britain is under attack from 'lager lout' wasps who are going on stinging rampages after getting drunk on fermented fruit and leftover pub-garden cider,” which is big, if true. Their story cites the Sussex Wildlife Trust, so we reached out to the British conservation charity ourselves to find out whether this was indeed a whole new way that the world just sorta sucks.

Charlotte Owen, a ‘Wildcall Officer,’ explained that drunk wasps are indeed an issue, but that this is in fact a regular, annual phenomenon of wasps worldwide.

The zoological explanation has to do with a quirk of wasp dietary habits. Worker wasps, who cannot reproduce, spend their lives sourcing food for the growing larvae back in the nest. The adult wasps, however, cannot actually digest the invertebrates that serve as baby food and instead subsist on flower nectar and a “sugar-rich spit” produced by the larvae. Towards the end of the summer, the nectar starts to dry up just as the nest reaches capacity and the Queen wasp stops laying more larvae—and suddenly, there’s not enough food for all the worker wasps, who start scrounging for other sources of sustenance. They’re particularly drawn to fallen, fermenting fruit and sugary beverages like beer and cider. And, according to Owen, “anything alcoholic will of course have a similar effect on their systems as it does on ours,” so the wasps get, quite literally, drunk on “a quick sip of cider.”

This means not only that wasps are hanging around alfresco aperitifs more than usual in search of some sugar, but also that those wasps are likely to get soused and start stinging. If you’ve ever thought that wasps seem like significantly more of a nuisance at the very end of summer, you should feel vindicated.

It’s possible, too, that the problem is especially pronounced this year in Britain if, as the Daily Mail claims, weather conditions indeed caused wasp season to start several weeks earlier than usual, in turn putting the nests at maximum capacity earlier. Elsewhere, the extreme heatwaves and droughts of this summer could be causing nectar-producing flowers to wither, leaving wasps hungrier for a sip of your drink.

Which might be ok, if only they could learn to hold their alcohol.

sauce https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/arti...tm_source=dmfb
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Are Protein Bars Good For You?

Protein bars certainly can be good for you. They can also be little better than a candy bar. It depends on the ingredients. And if you compare a few protein bar labels, you'll probably be amazed at how widely they can vary in terms of the calories they contain.

Food manufacturers often create products they call "protein bars," but which don't offer much protein, and contain plenty of non-protein ingredients you may not want. Choose protein bars that provide an ample amount of high-quality protein without high amounts of calories, carbohydrates, and fats to help you lose weight, build muscle mass, and control hunger. If the bar has a very poor protein-to-carb ratio, meaning there are far more carbs than protein, you may be paying premium prices for what is basically junk food.

A solid benchmark to aim for: If it doesn't have at least 10 grams of protein per serving, don't consider it a "protein bar." If it has a full 20-30 grams per bar, even better.

Pick from this sample LIST of the best protein bars to make sure you're not just eating candy bars in disguise. You can also make your own! By using the right ingredients, you can rest assured that the protein bars you eat are good for you.

sauce https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...M_FB_Nutrition
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I saw this the other night. The woman is as tough as they come, yet so humble.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    A documentary (narrated by Rich Roll) about world record marathon runner Fiona Oakes who (is vegan and manages an animal santuary) decides to run the worlds toughest ultra marathon ( 250km race through the Sahara Desert.)

https://runningforgoodfilm.com/#about1-section

9 lives
    Vegan Runner Wins Ultra Race - And Smashes Course Record
    The athlete has been vegan since 2010

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-5bc5f21d20895d516ab48ddb_vegan-plantbased-alistairgardner.jpg

A vegan athlete has won the Bromont Ultra 80km race - smashing the course record at the same time.

The Bromont hosts races at different lengths - Canadian Alister Gardner achieved a convincing win last year tackling the 160km course - but lined up for the 80km this time around.

Distance
    Gardner had initially planned to take on the 25km distance. "The Bromont Ultra was not originally on my race calendar as I am training towards Philadelphia marathon in November," he said after the event.

"The plan was to do the 25km race as a 'fun' long run, but I had a feeling I was in good shape to have a crack at a new course record on the 80 km course. So the day before the race I changed my plans."

The course record was eight hours and 21 minutes, a strong pace for any 80km race, but a step above this for the Bromont with an incredible 3,500 metres of height gain. Of course, nobody breaks the course record without winning the race, and the win was far from inevitable for the Canadian vegan.

Vegan victory
    "I was far from confident of a win in the first 30km," he said. "At the 15km mark, I felt the lead group (about six of us) were going to fast so I eased off to do my own thing.

"Almost immediately I reconsidered that decision as I wondered if the pace could actually be held for the whole race. At around the 35km, I had caught up with first and second place, but wasn't confident of a win until around the 70 km mark."

Coming in first at seven hours and 53 minutes, Gardner took a large chunk off the old course record. He was grateful for good weather conditions.

Vegan fuel
    Fuelling during a race of this distance is crucial, and Fruit2 and Fruit3 energy bars, maple energy gels, and pretzels were essential for the athlete who turned vegan in 2010, after reading about modern farming in a series of articles by The Guardian.

"I was horrified to realize I was being a part of that by buying meat products so I told my wife we had to source only local, 'free range' meat produce," he said.

"Then I read the final article about the abattoir and it stopped me dead - I had never considered it - so when I got home I said that was it, no more meat. It all happened in a week. I tried to source local eggs from neighbours farms and organic cheese (assuming it was more humane) but after two years I knew I was kidding myself and so stopped completely and have never looked back."

Not the only vegan
    Gardner was pleased to note that he was not the only vegan taking a course record on the day. Elliot Cardin ran the 55km race and set a course record there too.

The runner felt that between them they had made a point, and told Great Vegan Athletes: "I am stoked to be demonstrating that vegans can dominate in such tough sports."

sauce https://www.plantbasednews.org/post/...QG2t6QhuCGSvH0
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    The comic is amusing... the reality not so much

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-44327458_1967720226654963_2220047970869444608_n.jpg

The overuse of antibiotics in livestock production significantly contributes to the spread of antibiotic resistance.
    The World Health Organization, the US Food and Drug Administration and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention consider antibiotic resistance a threat to public health.
    Antibiotic-resistant bacteria can be spread to humans in a number of ways, the CDC says. For example, resistant germs can lurk in the gut of an animal when it is killed, contaminating meat and other products, or animal waste containing resistant germs can be used as fertilizer or for irrigation on produce.
    The CDC has reported that every year in the United States, at least 23,000 people die and 2 million get sick with antibiotic-resistant infections. Two of the bacteria that are commonly spread through food, salmonella and campylobacter, make more the 400,000 Americans sick each year.
    "In simplest terms, what it means is that once a bacteria are resistant to antibiotics, that means the ability of doctors to treat the infection becomes extremely limited, and so that's really scary, because it means that infections that were once really easily and commonly treated could actually be fatal, or common medical procedures would no longer be possible because of a risk of infection without antibiotics.”-Lena Brook, lead researcher and interim director of the food and agriculture program at the nonprofit Natural Resources Defense Council.
    sauce: https://www.facebook.com/wthfilm/?__xts__[0]=68.ARBLWXf6Q03SIlxtWVbKKIgp3dde3f4Uy6q8wXXiI47x66 AEZD4UybTOCQ2JGzujFTV9RjsXlExfotavH0S7dYQDY_8l4JD7 m_8uz2mCD5o4EKi1RhMFuYRoND-NPJQ1eN2fgtJuxn2ay2bL1KZwWtSYkaBEmwmu0nAoL2NnGZ_bC DxYWm9X1xa8nDycCm4PizkcLoTIa2bkG-BmDmnDmSlZ-5AcLDAsrH4BLUki6lrv4iB6wkxqxX44&__tn__=k*F&tn-str=k*F
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Am I the only one who saw this and thought, “ooh, I’ll bet that’s delicious with a little sea salt and dark chocolate?"

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-44319778_2189309164622861_3750898620107325440_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Coconut Oil Is Not 'Good for You'
    "You can put it on your body, but don’t put it in your body," warns a new advisory.

According to Gwyneth Paltrow's lifestyle website Goop, coconut oil is akin to a miracle drug. The site says the benefits of coconut oil—organic and virgin, of course—are "practically endless": "Switch it out in place of conventional vegetable oil or butter for extra-healthy stir-fries, sauces, and even in baking recipes—it's a delicious pantry-detox must." Many other self-styled health gurus tout the stuff as a surefire preventative for everything from Alzheimer's to obesity. Coconut oil is having its 15 minutes of fame, for sure.

But this week, the American Heart Association issued an advisory that says coconut oil isn't particularly good for you to eat. Never was. Still isn't. According to the statement, which cites a variety of scientific evidence, you shouldn't be eating coconut oil at all, really.

The problem with coconut oil, according to the AHA, is that 82 percent of the fat in it is saturated. That's more saturated fat than butter, beef fat, or even pork lard. As a saturated fat, coconut oil increases your LDL cholesterol—you know, the "lousy" cholesterol, not the good stuff—and, therefore, may contribute to cardiovascular disease. The AHA wants you to know that cardiovascular disease is "the leading global cause of death, accounting for 17.3 million deaths per year."

Alice H. Lichtenstein, senior scientist and director of Tufts University's Cardiovascular Nutrition Laboratory, told MUNCHIES: "The majority of the evidence, from both observational and intervention studies, supports the recommendation to replace saturated fat, that fat found in animal products, meat and dairy, with unsaturated fat, found in liquid plant oils such as soybean and canola oils. Coconut oil is a plant oil, but it falls into a special class, termed 'tropical oils.' Tropical oils are high in saturated fat. Hence, the best advice we can give is to replace coconut oil with other plant oils."

The misconception that coconut oil is healthy may have come from past weight loss studies that stated medium chain triglycerides can increase metabolism rates. But coconut oil only contains a small amount of MCTs—around 13 to 15 percent—and other studies show that amount may not have any impact on weight loss. As Marie-Pierre St-Onge, a research associate with Columbia University's New York Obesity Research Center who studied MCTs, told MUNCHIES: "When consumed in sufficient amounts, medium chain fatty acids can raise energy expenditure and improve weight control. However, this is not the same as coconut oil. To get the same benefits from coconut oil, one would theoretically need to consume 7.5 times the amount of medium chain fatty acids. However, that would come with that much more fat and other saturated fats that are not desirable in the diet."

Bottom line: You should limit the amount of saturated fat you eat. In the words of Marie-Pierre St-Onge, "At this time, we need more research on the impact of modest amounts of coconut oil to determine whether this can be safely incorporated into a heart-healthy diet. Until then, why not choose the proven options that have a long history of cholesterol-lowering benefits?"

Back to olive oil, people. But feel free to smear coconut oil all over your skin and hair, if you are so inclined. "You can put it on your body, but don't put it in your body," said Frank Sacks, the lead author of study. We've heard worse ideas.

sauce

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/arti...ource=vicefbus
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks for sharing all the funny, informative, and positive content cyclicious!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Am I the only one who saw this and thought, “ooh, I’ll bet that’s delicious with a little sea salt and dark chocolate?"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44319778_2189309164622861_3750898620107325440_n.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	1221698
    odd as that sounds, you might be onto something. I hate brussels until my wife makes them- sliced in half, basted in olive oil, sprinkled with sea salt, and broiled until the outsides get just a tad crispy. the salt counteracts the bitter.

9 lives
    I love avocados!

3 Reasons And Ways To Eat More Avocado

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-3-reasons-3-ways-eat-more-avocado-legacy-1b.jpg

Ah, the miraculous avocado! This fruit does a lot more than make a great guacamole; it can also improve your health. Learn how to choose the right avocado, then whip up one of these creamy recipes!

The flesh of the ripe avocado berry (yes, it's a berry!) offers a creamy buttery texture that, when mashed, makes an irresistible corn chip dip or spread for your morning toast. But this fruit is no slouch when it comes to good nutrition. Once avoided because of its high fat content, the avocado is now praised for the "good" fat it provides.

Here's why it's time to recast the avocado as a bright star of the fruit aisle (even though it's usually over with the vegetables).

FAT FIGHTER

Who knew that something so full of fats could actually help keep the flab at bay? Despite the berry's high calorie count, people who make it a regular part of their diet tend to have healthier body weights and smaller waists. This could be due to the synergy of the more than 20 essential vitamins and minerals found in avocados, or to the possibility that people who eat them tend to make healthier food choices.

A 2013 study published in Nutrition Journal found that people who ate avocados regularly also improved the quality of their diets, thanks to the avocado's heavy load of healthy fats, fiber, vitamin E, and magnesium.

HEALTHY HEART PROTECTOR

Eating avocados can keep your heart beating strong, too. A meta-analysis published in the Journal of Clinical Lipidology determined that avocado-rich diets can lower total cholesterol levels, reduce low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (the "bad" cholesterol), and decrease blood triglyceride levels.[2]

The study's authors suggest that eating more avocado can help protect your heart from disease—especially if you use avocado as a substitute for less heart-healthy saturated and trans fats. Roughly two-thirds of all the fat present in avocado is monounsaturated fat, which can improve the levels of good cholesterols and fats in your blood.

HUNGER TAMER

One of the biggest obstacles many people face when fighting the battle of the bulge is keeping hunger at bay. When you crave food all the time, you're more likely to be tempted by junk food and large portions. Avocados to the rescue again! Researchers at Loma Linda University have found that study subjects who were served a lunch that included half an avocado reported a 26 percent increase in meal satisfaction and a 40 percent decrease in the desire to eat within three hours.[3]

The avocado did add 112 calories to the subjects' meals, but the great taste, dietary fiber (about 7 grams in half a fruit), and good-for-you fats can help you stay on the path to clean eating and a beach-ready six-pack.

PICK A GOOD ONE

In addition to their health-enhancing benefits, avocados also produce antioxidants that can help reduce the risk for everything from Alzheimer's to cataracts. Something so good for you should be a staple part of just about anyone's diet, but you've got to know how to choose the right specimen.

To determine if an avocado is recipe-ready, pull off the stem at the top. If you see green underneath, the fruit is at its creamy best. If the flesh is brown, it's getting overripe and should be used soon. An avocado is ready to eat immediately when it is firm to the touch, with just a slight give when you squeeze it. (Squeeze it very gently or you'll bruise the flesh).

Mushiness to the touch and dents in the skin are two indicators that this big, savory berry is past its prime. Rather than pick an overly ripe avocado, choose one that's a little on the firm side, put it in a paper bag with an apple or banana, and check periodically until it's just right.

To remove the pit, strike it with the sharp edge of a knife, give the knife a quick turn, and strike the pit against the side of a bowl to dislodge it from the knife.

GREEN GODDESS DRESSING

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-3-reasons-3-ways-eat-more-avocado-legacy-3.jpg
    Avocado and punchy herbs team up to make a creamy, tangy dressing that'll leave you craving your next salad. Plus, research shows that adding the quality fat found in avocado to vegetables like tomatoes and carrots can boost your absorption of fat-soluble antioxidants, including beta-carotene.recipe

CHOCOLATE FUDGE PANCAKES

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-3-reasons-3-ways-eat-more-avocado-legacy-5.jpg
    Avocado gives these dessert-like pancakes a creamy fudge consistency. The batter won't spread like typical pancake batter, so be prepared to spread it out with a spatula or spoon. Try topping the finished pancakes with raspberries and a drizzle of pure maple syrup. The batter can be made in advance and kept in the refrigerator for up to two days. recipe (substitute skim milk with non dairy for vegan)

sauce https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/3-r...M_FB_Nutrition
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Uh oh, avocado (and not just avocado.)

https://youtu.be/xD_YeiNqONs

Are there really vegans who are that strict about it?

9 lives
    ^can't overthink this
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I thought this was a well made video. It's about a couple who thought they were adopting a mini-pig but it turned out to be a baby breeding pig rescued from a factory farm.

(warning, graphic footage 2:44-2:52 and 3:24-3:56)

9 lives
    ^they gave that beautiful piggy a wonderful life Pigs are sentient and incredibly intelligent and like all animals deserve nothing that happens to them on factory, free range, or organic farms.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-44862137_10156076427369773_2408197783593943040_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Name:  44814319_1234404466710310_7661810584744099840_n.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  26.2 KB
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Cycologist
    Dang it, thought it must have been long enough by now!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cyclelicious again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

9 lives
    Name:  zLGvdB6.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  20.8 KB
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    PSA: November 1st is World Vegan Day

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post
    PSA: November 1st is World Vegan Day
    Cool!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Interesting

This Is What Happens to Your Body if You Eat Almost No Carbs

In many ways, refined carbohydrates—bread, pasta, white rice—are like fossil fuels. They contain a lot of energy, they’re cheap to produce, and just when it seems as though supply can't keep up with demand, some technological innovation enables us to extract and produce more of them. And like fossil fuels, the scientific consensus is that an over reliance on refined carbohydrates is going to end badly.

Most people who are interested in cutting carbs out are doing so to lose weight. Anecdotal and scientific research suggests that it’s a pretty good strategy to take to drop some pounds. But carbs aren’t just in the types of food I mentioned above. They’re also hiding out in fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, milk, legumes, and plenty else. With that being the case, you can imagine that cutting your carb intake to virtually nothing would be very difficult indeed and—as you'll read in a moment—there’s research suggesting that it’s potentially dangerous. Here are some of the things that would happen if you ditched refined carbs, limited the “good” (or complex) carbs named above and opted to consume butter, bacon, and bourbon to your heart’s content.

You may experience low-carb flu.
    If you haven’t been making a conscious effort to limit your carbs, cutting them out all together may result in you experiencing a slew of unpleasant side effects that combined, feel quite a lot like you’re coming down with something nasty. Some of those side effects include fatigue, weakness, dizziness, headaches, irritability, and nausea and they can last anywhere between a few days and a few weeks.

“The body has a very clear hierarchy for fuel,” explains Kristin Kirkpatrick, a dietitian at Cleveland Clinic who explains that, given a choice, the body prefers glucose and stored glycogen first, followed by fat and—if things get really lacking—it starts cannibalizing muscle. Kirkpatrick also tells me that when its favorite food sources aren’t around, the body makes its own. It’s a process called gluconeogenesis and it occurs when carbs are depleted, yet protein is still high. In this scenario, the liver will take amino acids from protein and form glucose from them. That’s how much your body prefers glucose.

“The reason you feel fatigued in the beginning [if you go off carbs] is that you’ve depleted this main energy source which you are very much used to having” she says. Typically, this goes away when the body goes into ketosis.

Severely limiting or cutting out carbs completely will, after a few days, put the body into a state of ketosis. In ketosis, small fragments of carbon called ketones are released into the blood because the body is burning fat instead of carbohydrates. Getting into ketosis, which can be ascertained by various methods, including peeing onto a strip of paper that detects ketones, doesn’t mean that you’ll feel the higher level of energy that keto proponents tout as one of the many, many benefits. I sure didn’t when I tried a keto diet earlier this year.

If and when you get through an often uncomfortable adaptation period, you may still find that you don’t have as much gas in the tank when performing any type of physical activity. Provided that you made it into ketogenesis and stayed there, your body will now be running on ketones, a byproduct of busting up fat cells, says Jim White, a Virginia Beach-based dietician. While on the surface, burning off an unwanted paunch sounds awesome, White explains that fat is a slower source of fuel than glucose. "That means that the body can’t access it quickly enough to sustain high-intensity exercise."

You’ll lose water weight first.
    If you try a very low-carb diet and notice that all of your pants are loosening almost immediately, someone is going to piss on your parade by telling you that what you’ve lost is merely water weight.

“The reason you shed water weight first is that carbs hold a lot of water,” Kirkpatrick says. People tend to forget that food is a main source of water. The other main reason is that when glucose is gone, the body looks for stored forms of it. “This stored form is called glycogen and utilizing or metabolizing it utilizes water,” she says. “This is why on any low-carb diet, you lose water first—the loss of stored glycogen truly is what is releasing all that water.”

The effects of losing of water weight shouldn’t be discounted, though, says New York-based personal trainer Ngo Okafor. “First of all, the water loss can be significant—five, ten, or even 15 pounds in some cases,” he says. “What that really noticeable loss does is motivate people to commit to a program of working out consistently. It’s like a preview of the changes that can happen with dedication to your diet and your workout plan.”

And non-water weight later.
    A 2013 meta analysis published in the British Journal of Nutrition looked at the weight loss promise of very low-carb ketogenic diets and more conventional low-fat diets. Their conclusion was that people assigned to a very low-carb ketogenic diet lose more weight in the long term than those assigned to a low-fat diet, and suggested that low-carb diets could be an effect tool in bringing obesity rates down.

You may get bad breath.
    In a small percentage of men, Propecia, an oral medication intended to stop hair loss, can cause erectile dysfunction. That’s ironic given that one of the reasons men would wish to keep ahold of their hair is to increase their sex appeal. There’s a similar paradox with low-carb diets: Yeah, they can be effective in helping people slim down but they can also give you hellacious breath in the process.
    The aforementioned ketones that are fueling a keto-adapted person’s body are released through your breath and reportedly smell like acetone or rotting fruit. But that’s not the only reason people want to hear about your sudden slim down at arm’s length. Losing water weight can also mean a persistently dry mouth; a situation that can also result in bad breath.

You might have health issues in the long-run.
    The jury is mostly still out when it comes to the impact of a low-carb diet and your health. A 2014 study in PLOS One concluded that increasing the intake of refined carbs increases the body's production of palmitoleic acid, a biomarker for a host of health issues like high cholesterol and diabetes. Another study found that, in a 24-week ketogenic diet, the subjects experienced lower total cholesterol with a significant decrease in triglycerides and an increase in HDL (often called “good” cholesterol) levels. And yet there's the recommendation borne of a study that was presented to the European Society of Cardiology in August of 2018: Avoid low-carb diets at all costs.

The study looked at the relationship between low-carbohydrate diets, all-cause death, and deaths from coronary heart disease, cerebrovascular disease (including stroke), and cancer in a nationally representative sample of 24,825 participants between 1999 to 2010. Compared to participants with the highest carbohydrate consumption, those with the lowest intake had a 32 percent higher risk of all-cause death over an average 6.4-year follow-up. What’s more, risks of death from coronary heart disease, cerebrovascular disease, and cancer were increased by 51 percent, 50 percent, and 35 percent, respectively.

sauce https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article...ource=vicefbus
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-45040013_10156940520193991_4187939567136931840_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-44512407_10156835959228033_1663497054862704640_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    'The womanization of protein consumption': Canadians quickly turning away from meat, study finds'

Canadian men, more than women, consider meat one of life’s greatest pleasures and older men in particular think nothing compares to a good steak, a new survey finds.

For beef farmers, that’s about where the good news ends.

According to a new survey on Canada’s “protein wars,” 6.4 million Canadians have already restricted or eliminated meat from their diets, while a third of the population intends to do so in the next six months.

But the survey paints a conflicting picture of our attachment to meat and willingness to embrace chickpeas over sirloin, with three-quarters strongly or somewhat agreeing that, “as humans, it is natural to eat meat” and that eating meat is part of “a natural and balanced diet.”

“It appears that Canadians are still somewhat attached to meat consumption, generally speaking,” said principal investigator Sylvain Charlebois, a professor in food distribution and policy at Dalhousie University. “But more and more Canadians are reconsidering their relationship with animal-based protein,” he said.

The findings come as Health Canada prepares to debut the latest iteration of its food guide in November, one that had been expected to lean more vegan than omnivore. In its “guiding principles” for the food-rules rewrite released earlier this year, Health Canada urged a shift to a “high proportion” of plant-based foods, without necessarily excluding animal foods.

The preliminary recommendations also encouraged replacing foods that contain mostly saturated fat with foods containing unsaturated fats (like nuts, seeds and avocados). Dairy and red meat are the primary sources of saturated fat.

Canada’s dairy and meat industries have pushed back against any serious dumping of meat, milk or other radical changes, and it’s not clear whether Health Canada will wilt to pressure from that juggernaut. The meat industry says it has been assured by the government the food guide won’t go low-meat.

But other countries are trending in exactly that direction, helped along in part by a declaration by the World Health Organization’s cancer agency in 2015 that bacon, sausage and other processed meat is a carcinogen to humans, and red meat “probably” too, a proclamation that raised fresh criticism over how the WHO communicates risk — and uncertain science — to the public.

“People said, ‘how could you possibly put processed meat in the same category of asbestos’,” Charlebois said. “But since then you have seen several governments around the world adjusting their food guide and policy around meat consumption, and we are expecting (Canada’s) food guide to be way more plant-based friendly.”

For the study, researchers surveyed 1,027 adults over three days in September. Charlebois conducted the study along with Simon Somogyi, of the University of Guelph and Janet Music of Dalhousie’s faculty of management. With a sample of this size, the margin of error is three per cent, 19 times out of 20.

Nearly half (49 per cent) of those surveyed said they consume meat or meat-containing products daily; 40 per cent said they eat meat once or twice a week. Two per cent considered themselves vegetarians, one percent vegans (no animal-based products, including honey) and one per cent lacto-ovo vegetarian (no animal flesh, but eggs and milk products permitted).

Fifty-one per cent said they would be willing to consider reducing meat some time in the future.

Both genders identified health benefits as reasons for doing so, though women and younger people were more concerned about animal welfare.

“The younger generation is not so interested in the health but the humanitarian approach to the way we’re feeding ourselves,” said renowned nutrition scientist Dr. David Jenkins of the University of Toronto. “You don’t mind a cow in the green field with the blue sky above and the tree and the sun — what every kindergarten kid draws,” he said.

“But when you come to a mechanized abattoir, that’s not such fun. There’s no blue sky, no happy, prancing (cattle). And I think that’s a big grassroots change among the young.”

Women were more likely than men to agree meat is replaceable by other sources of protein, and men who are not overly educated were more likely to agree “I am a big fan of meat in general.

“Eating meat is a manly thing, let’s face it. It’s always been portrayed as a manly thing to do,” Charlebois said.

Overall, the survey found that, “If you earn more, if you are a woman, if you are more educated, you are less likely to be attached to meat,” said Charlebois, who believes we’re experiencing “the womanization of protein consumption.”

He’s currently mentoring 10 plant-based food start-ups, from Montreal to Calgary. Women lead nine of them. “Last week in my MBA class I had Sobeys CEO (and president) Michael Medline and seven of his top executives. Three of them were women. The influence of women in the industry is becoming more and more apparent,” Charlebois said.

Canadians have reduced their meat intake since 2004. Today it is similar to that in Mediterranean countries, “places where diets are widely recognized as being amongst the healthiest worldwide,” said Marie-France Mackinnon, of the Canadian Meat Council.

Canadians consume, on average, 41 grams of cooked fresh meat like beef, pork, lamb or veal a day, she said — “that’s about half the size of the palm of your hand.”

“There’s been lots of speculation” about the new food guide, Mackinnon said. “In May, we met with the Health Minister (Ginette Petitpas Taylor) who assured us that they will not be telling (Canadians) to consume less red meat in the next edition.”

Jenkins, who is currently running a cross-Canada randomized trial testing whether a lacto-vegetarian diet can stop or even reverse plaque buildup on coronary arteries, said the science supports moving to more plant-based eating.

“No one has said ‘eat more beef and grow strong’, which is what they said in the 1930s,” he said. “No one is saying that anymore.”

Among the survey’s other findings:

• 63 per cent of vegans are under age 38 (millennials and Gen Ys);

• 42 per cent of “flexitarians” (flexible vegetarianism, with the odd serving of meat) are boomers;

• Younger and more educated are less likely to love meat;

• Few consider insects an appealing alternative to meat, although Atlantic Canadians and Quebecers seem more open to eating bugs.

sauce https://nationalpost.com/trending/th...-study-finds-2
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Your Expert Guide To Aloe Vera

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-your-expert-guide-aloe-vera-header-v2-830x467.jpg

Chances are, at least once in your life you've gotten a little too much sun and spent the next few days slathered in aloe vera gel. Aloe vera has become well known for its ability to soothe sunburns, but it offers many other benefits as well.

What Is Aloe Vera?
    Aloe vera is tropical in origin, but it has become increasingly popular as a household plant. It's easy to care for and visually pleasing, and the gel from its leaves can be used to treat all manner of human ailments.

Aloe vera's fleshy leaves contain both a gel and a juice, known as latex. The gel is clear, contains more than 75 different components, and is safe to ingest. The juice is found on the outer rim of the inside of the leaf, has a yellow color, and can have a laxative effect when ingested.[1]

What Are The Uses Of Aloe Vera?
    Records of aloe vera being used for its medicinal properties date as far back as ancient Egypt. Today, it offers a whole host of benefits:

Delivers Vitamins And Minerals
    Aloe vera is often considered to belong to the superfood family along with kale, pomegranate, and blueberries. These foods earn the name "super" because of their ability to fight infection and heal cell damage.[2]

Aloe vera contains many minerals including calcium, chromium, copper, selenium, magnesium, manganese, potassium, sodium, and zinc. It's also a ready source of vitamins A, C, and E—all of which are powerful antioxidants—and of B-12, folic acid, and choline.

Helps Hydrate The Body
    Aloe has a similar vitamin and mineral profile to most common sports drinks, so it's a good way to rehydrate after a tough workout. True aloe vera has a taste that is tangy and tart, so read your aloe juice labels since some manufacturers try to hide the tart taste with excessive sugar.

Note that the plant's nutritive post-workout value is found in the gel alone. Since the latex can have a laxative effect, aloe-juice-based drinks can deplete the body of electrolytes.

Soothes The Gastrointestinal Tract
    Data suggests that aloe vera could be used to calm heart burn and indigestion symptoms.[3]

Moisturizes The Skin
    Aloe vera is also widely used in cosmetics. A 2014 clinical study highlighted the gel's hydrating effects when applied to the skin.[4] Many anti-aging and skin-brightening creams use aloe vera in their ingredient list because of its ability to stimulate collagen and elastin, which help maintain skin resilience.[5] The combination of hydration and skin-tightening properties make aloe vera ideal for skin-care routines.

Keeps Hair Strong And Healthy
    Due to aloe's rich vitamin composition, it has become a standard ingredient for many hair-care products. Deficiency in vitamin B-12 and folic acid can cause hair to become brittle and prone to falling out. Regular use of aloe vera-based shampoos can help keep hair strong and healthy.

Since B-12 and folic acid are more abundant in animal products, aloe vera dietary products may help people who follow a vegan or vegetarian diet maintain good hair health.

The vitamins A, C, and E in aloe can help keep hair shiny and smooth. And its benefits to the skin can decrease scalp irritations and relieve dandruff and dry scalp to help hair to grow faster and fuller.[6]

How Do I Make Aloe Vera Gel At Home?
    To prepare aloe vera gel at home, snip a leaf from the plant and stand it upright on a saucer to let the latex juice drain from the plant. When the latex has drained off, cut open the leaf and scoop out the clear gel from the inside. You can use the gel immediately. If you want to use it later, put it in a glass jar and freeze it. Some people pour the gel into ice cube trays for use later in protein shakes.

Does Aloe Vera Have Any Negative Effects?
    Aloe vera side effects can include skin irritations in the area where it was applied. While it can sooth gastrointestinal distress in individuals, it may cause abdominal cramps and electrolyte imbalances in others—especially if they ingest the plant's latex juice. Make sure your aloe drink is made from the plant's gel, not its juice.[3]

Bottom line, it's never too late to make this plant and its related products a permanent feature of your home medicine cabinet.

sauce https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...tent_nutrition
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    A MAN FROM OAKVILLE JUST GOT ARRESTED FOR STEALING $60,000 WORTH OF AVOCADO

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-pixnio-202349-1000x667-1000x500.jpg

An Oakville man has been charged after making a huge Avoca-don’t earlier this month. On October 15th, 27 year old Harjot Singh Dhillon stole a tractor-trailer filled with $60,000 worth of avocados.

The Halton Police have announced that Dhillon has been arrested on October 30th in connection to the crime after investigating the avocado heist for two weeks. While Dhillon has been arrested, the case is not closed. Due to the peculiar nature of the robbery, the police are still looking into the possibility of other suspects that may be involved in the theft.

Allegedly, Dhillon broke into a trucking yard on Industry Street in Oakville before driving the trailer away. The tractor had been taken apart and scattered across the GTA.

Dhillon is now facing two charges: breaking and entering, and possession of break-in instruments
    "Due to the peculiar nature of the robbery, the police are still looking into the possibility of other suspects that may be involved in the theft". ....Just look for the guy buying a shit ton of bread and an industrial toaster.

sauce https://indie88.com/a-man-from-oakvi...r1Cp1b4A_IVK6o
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-45215950_10215749961237979_3794535363280633856_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    If you want to protect the environment, your own health and other living beings, veganism is a good first step.

The Growing Acceptance Of Veganism

On Thursday, vegans around the world commemorated the creation of the “v” word. World Vegan Day was launched on Nov. 1, 1994 to celebrate the 50th birthday of the founding of the UK Vegan Society. The day begins World Vegan Month, and recognition of it has grown exponentially in recent years with the rise of Facebook and other social media sites, where those dedicated to plant-based lifestyles share memes and messages with all the ethical and health-related reasons to go vegan.

This year, the day fell in a week that saw the forced resignation of a high-profile UK magazine editor after his email to a writer who had pitched a plant-based series went public. William Sitwell, the editor of the popular Waitrose Food magazine, responded to the pitch with what he later called a joke.

“How about a series on killing vegans, one by one. Ways to trap them? How to interrogate them properly? Expose their hypocrisy? Force-feed them meat? Make them eat steak and drink red wine?” he wrote to the freelancer, who happened to be vegan.

After his words went public, Sitwell called his comments a joke, apologized to those who were offended and stepped down from his job after 20 years.

The comments were extreme, but it’s not unusual for vegans and vegetarians to be the butt of the joke and even to find themselves on the receiving end of vitriol for living by their beliefs, said Rich Landau, a chef and restaurateur whose plant-based eateries include Vedge, V Street and Wiz Kid in Philadelphia. Landau, with his wife and business partner, Kate Jacoby, have also expanded in the past year with the opening of Fancy Radish in Washington, D.C.

People opt to go plant-based for various reasons, but the big three are animals, the planet and personal health. Whatever the causes, challenges come with the decision to trade lifelong traditions for a new way of eating, and negativity from others can make the transition even tougher.

“It’s easy to hate what you don’t understand, it’s easy to make fun of what you don’t understand,” Landau said. “Our culture as a civilization is very young and immature. It’s the classic case of just hating something that’s just not your way.”

Increasingly, though, the rise of the vegan food industry is changing ways for more people.

“If I had a dime for every time someone made fun of what we do, then came into the restaurant and shook my hand at the end of the meal,” Landau said.

People tell him on a regular basis that tasting the vegan food at his restaurants has started them making healthier, more humane changes in their diets, he said.

Others in the industry, including JUST Inc. founder Josh Tetrick, agree that things are changing, and the pace of change is accelerating.

“Plant-based foods used to be for folks eating breakfast at vegan cafes in Northern California, but today plant-based foods are increasingly for folks I was raised with, eating breakfast in diners or at their kitchen tables in Birmingham, Alabama,” he said. “The change is happening in cities, suburbs and in rural areas. It’s happening in red states and in blue states. It’s not a niche food movement.”

The number of U.S. consumers identifying as vegan grew from 1% to 6% between 2014 and 2017, a 600% increase, according to GlobalData. That’s still a pretty small portion of the total, but other data reveal growing interest in plant-based foods by consumers who don’t consider themselves vegetarian or vegan.

Sales of plant-based alternatives to animal-based foods including meat, cheese, milk and eggs grew 17% over the past year, while overall U.S. food sales rose only 2%, according to data from Nielsen and the Good Food Institute. The market for such foods totaled more than $3.7 billion.

Veganism has more role models today who are open about their lifestyles and the reasons behind them, from actors including Natalie Portman and Emily Deschanel to musicians like Moby and Stevie Wonder to politicians such as New Jersey Senator Cory Booker. And a slew of recent documentaries including “What the Health” and “Dominion” are gaining wider audiences.

While those who go vegan or vegetarian tend to do so for the animals, the planet, their health or some combination thereof, consumers start out choosing their foods based on different criteria.

Taste, price and convenience are the key factors consumers consider when making food choices, said Caroline Bushnell, senior marketing manager at the Good Food Institute.

“Our goal is to help companies make products that are the most delicious foods and help them make more of them so they can be cost competitive, so it’s an affordable and accessible option and so consumers don’t feel like they’re missing anything,” she said.

There’s evidence that a growing number of companies of all sizes have the same goals.

“We’ve seen a huge spike in demand for plant-based meat and dairy alternatives as more and more consumers look to diversify their diet with plant-based foods or are moving to an entirely plant-based diet,” said Michele Simon, executive director of the Plant Based Foods Association.

The trade group representing plant-based food and beverage companies has grown to 118 members, and it’s promoting the industry through partnerships with grocers and foodservice companies, including Lucky Supermarkets which has teamed on a campaign dubbed “Fall in Love with Plant Based.” In fact, 95% of U.S. grocery stores now sell plant-based meat products.

Plant-based foods are getting more notice in the press, as startups and mid-sized brands win bigger backing from venture capital firms and big food players looking for new growth areas.

Almond-based cheese and yogurt maker Kite Hill recently won $40 million in new venture capital funding it will use to expand to meet fast-growing demand and develop new products.

Artisan plant-based cheese and butter brand Miyoko’s Kitchen moved into a bigger space last year and was recently chosen by Nestlé as one of three plant-based brands to partner in the next round of the Terra Accelerator. The other two are Jackson’s Honest and Here Foods.

The accelerator, created by Rabobank and RocketSpace, is just as much about the big companies learning innovation and agility from the smaller ones as it is about helping the startups develop new tools for growth.

JUST, which first made its name with the release several years ago of plant-based JUST Mayo, drew attention this year with the launch of JUST Egg, an egg replacer made with pea protein that’s on the menu in a growing number of restaurants and last month landed for a limited time at Aramark’s corporate, higher education and healthcare company dining halls.

The company has also partnered with an accelerator to help plant-based foods flourish around the world. JUST has teamed with Hong Kong-based Brinc’s Food Technology Accelerator to help other plant-based food businesses bring their products to market.

Catering giant Sodexo recently worked with the Humane Society of the United States to develop 200 plant-based and plant-forward menu items for its corporate foodservice facilities and campus dining halls.

Plant-based companies are also carving out a niche in the meal kit and meal delivery space, with players like Purple Carrot and Veestro offering convenient ways to try more vegan foods.

Some of the fastest growing companies are those that are creating vegan replacements for animal-based products that come as close as possible to the taste and texture of the products people are used to. At Wiz Kid in Philadelphia, Landau and Jacoby created a fast-casual joint selling vegan versions of the iconic Philly cheesesteak.

The city has embraced the concept, said Landau, who sees a time in the future when the entire food system is plant-based, and animal agriculture is a thing of the past.

“Things have moved so fast in such a short amount of time. People are realizing veganism is not a cult or a religion.”

Two main changes have driven the faster acceptance of and interest in veganism, he said. First, the Internet – people can share the message easily and as graphically as they want.

Second?

“People have started to embrace the word ‘vegan.’”

sauce; https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetfo...8#595779962f2b
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    It's never too late... to go vegan or reset your clocks and watches ... stove clock, runner watch, car clock etc

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-45326879_10214484302593892_8446834686948278272_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Name:  45437946_706601196382433_7670927017902080000_n.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  36.5 KB
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Happy Hump Day!

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-45490509_10216712559743698_735443626804379648_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Shrooms Are the Safest Drug You Can Take

Magic mushrooms, the psychedelic drug that can help treat anxiety and depression and could help with addiction, are the safest recreational drug you can take. That's according to the annual Global Drug Survey, which polled close to 120,000 people in 50 countries about their drug and alcohol use.

More than 12,000 people said they did shrooms in 2016 and just 0.2 percent of them said they needed emergency medical care afterward, a rate that was five to six times lower than LSD, cocaine, MDMA, and alcohol, and three times lower than weed.

Adam Winstock, a consultant addiction psychiatrist and founder of the Global Drug Survey, told the Guardian that the bigger risk with shrooms is accidentally eating the wrong variety of mushroom. "Magic mushrooms are one of the safest drugs in the world," he said. "Death from toxicity is almost unheard of with poisoning with more dangerous fungi being a much greater risk in terms of serious harms."

Of course, you might still have a bad trip, so Winfield advises not combining shrooms and alcohol, and using them with trusted company and in a safe place. That will help reduce your risk of injury, disorientation, and panic attacks. Though in a study out of Johns Hopkins last year, 84 percent of users who had a bad trip said they actually benefited from the experience.

sauce https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article...g0Lo4I51kpGPpE
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Just finished Pleasurable Kingdom by Jonathan Balcombe, about the capacity of animals to experience all kinds of happiness and joy. It's common to imagine wild animals' lives as miserable struggles for survival, when in fact they have room for play, leisure, love, affection, humor, even appreciation of beauty - virtually all the experiences that make our own lives valuable and worth living.

9 lives
    ^Thanks for sharing!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-46093495_10215394430325550_5992487681622278144_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-46074311_1982087178494014_2070531981677953024_n.jpg

and Korn, Cranberries....
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718