Taste free reservoir- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Taste free reservoir

I recently moved to hydration packs and been using a source reservoir. according to what I read it is supposed to be taste-free, but I can't get rid of the plastic taste. And I am sure it will stay that way.

Any other reservoir on the market which are supposed to be without the plastic taste?

I use the SOMA bottles for my other bikes and those are 100% plastic taste free, but I am tired to stop-take off pack etc. etc. every time I need to drink.

mtbr member
    Have you tried bleach? Just a bit in with some warm water, shaken for a minute or two, then air dry.

You might be more sensitive to this taste than me. I use a camelback, and fill it from a Pur water pitcher in the fridge. Works for me.

Cactus Cuddler
    Source - the high end ones are remarkably taste-free, but you're basically stuck with an 'okay' bit valve setup. They're still better than everything else if you're on the high end or .mil models. For my part I'm still using my stash of issued throwaway bladders, and they are taste-free -- the cheaper consumer ones aren't so much there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yeah, I tried bleach, freezing it, juice, etc. etc. The taste of plastic is too much and does not go away. Also, the tube is 2/3 inches shorter than camelback and i need to rotate my head to reach it. I think it is the higher end model. Overall i am disappointed with Source bladders.

Cactus Cuddler
    I've only had experience with the MIL models - and they're remarkable for how I used them (dumb stuff like MargaritaBak parties and the like), but I'm also the sort of weirdo who prefers hose water from a hard water aquifer above anything else, so I'm probably not much help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Fill it up with water and drop 2 denture cleaning tabs in it. Let it soak over night. Rinse out and use.