Raw eggs- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 34 of 34

Thread: Raw eggs

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,511

    Raw eggs

    Do you guys eat raw eggs to build up muscles? I used to eat it a long time ago. I am hesitant to eat them now because of bacteria contamination

    Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,097
    If you didn't die from them a long time ago, chances are you won't die from them now. Bacteria and germs has been around for over a hundred years, maybe even 2 hundred years.

  3. #3
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    18,453
    Short answer... nope.

    Longer answer: most of us already eat more protein than our bodies can turn into muscle. There's nothing wrong with that, but it also makes eating extra or weirder protein pointless. Recovery drinks at the right time seem to have a little more evidence backing them, however.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    32
    Just get a quality Whey protein and drink that. It's tastier and you don't have to worry about salmonella, even though it's very rare in eggs.

    I recommend Optimum Nutrition. Chocolate Mint is my favorite. I mix two scoops with 6oz water. (3oz water per scoop). Cheapest place to buy is usually Amazon with free shipping
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GIPJY8...1341&sr=1&th=1

    I've been lifting for muscle for 6 years now (new to MTB). I remember when I started taking two scoops of protein in high school after swim team practice. My recovery was so much better.

    Most people do not get enough protein in their diet. One or two scoops a day will make a nice difference in recovery for someone who is active, and currently not consuming enough.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky5000100 View Post
    Just get a quality Whey protein and drink that. It's tastier and you don't have to worry about salmonella, even though it's very rare in eggs.

    I recommend Optimum Nutrition. Chocolate Mint is my favorite. I mix two scoops with 6oz water. (3oz water per scoop). Cheapest place to buy is usually Amazon with free shipping
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GIPJY8...1341&sr=1&th=1

    I've been lifting for muscle for 6 years now (new to MTB). I remember when I started taking two scoops of protein in high school after swim team practice. My recovery was so much better.

    Most people do not get enough protein in their diet. One or two scoops a day will make a nice difference in recovery for someone who is active, and currently not consuming enough.
    Is whea protein safe?

    Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    13,437
    It worked for Rocky.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Is whea protein safe?

    Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    Yes. Whey is the leftover part when milk is used to create cheese. It's been widely used for many years now.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,511
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    It worked for Rocky.
    Rocky can eat anything.

    Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    32
    Raw eggs-maxresdefault-1.jpg

  10. #10
    Log off and go ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,658
    Eggs are close to the perfect amino acid profile needed by humans. So they are a good protein source. Buy them from a reputable source, like a brand name supermarket chain, and raw will probably be OK. If you are going to eat them raw avoid farmers roadside stands and other uncertain sources. The risk of contamination is small, but the health effects should not be played down. Foodborne illness can be deadly or leave lifelong problems.

    Track your real food intake first and make adjustments as needed. Protein supplements should be added ONLY if you cannot get adequate protein from real food alone. For fastest recovery try a carb drink immediately post workout, with a small amount of protein added. Push larger amounts of protein later after the carbs have been replenished.

    Whey is recommended by many because it breaks down into the component amino acids faster, but is not all that much faster. Think minutes, not hours. Casein takes a bit longer, so many like a whey/casein mix, giving them a quicker initial protein boost, followed by a longer slower amino acid release. Of course, a mix of whey/casein protein supplement with a carb component has another common name -- milk. Chocolate milk has been shown as close to the ideal post workout recovery drink. For some reason milk has a bad rep in some circles, but that is scientifically unfounded. Unless you are lactose intolerant or have some other sensitivity there is no reason to avoid milk.
    Last edited by dave54; 10-11-2016 at 10:28 AM. Reason: spelling
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

  11. #11
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Eggs are close to the perfect amino acid profile needed by humans. So they are a good protein source. Buy them from a reputable source, like a brand name supermarket chain, and raw will probably be OK. If you are going to eat them raw avoid farmers roadside stands and other uncertain sources. The risk of contamination is small, but the health effects should not be played down. Foodborne illness can be deadly or leave lifelong problems.

    Track your real food intake first and make adjustments as needed. Protein supplements should be added ONLY if you cannot get adequate protein from real food alone. For fastest recovery try a carb drink immediately post workout, with a small amount of protein added. Push larger amounts of protein later after the carbs have been replenished.

    Whey is recommended by many because it breaks down into the component amino acids faster, but is not all that much faster. Think minutes, not hours. Casein takes a bit longer, so many like a whey/casein mix, giving them a quicker initial protein boost, followed by a longer slower amino acid release. Of course, a mix of whey/casein protein supplement with a carb component has another common name -- milk. Chocolate milk has been shown as close to the ideal post workout recovery drink. For some reason milk has a bad rep in some circles, but that is scientifically unfounded. Unless you are lactose intolerant or have some other sensitivity there is no reason to avoid milk.
    Pasteurized milk has the same health benefits as drinking tide.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,097
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Pasteurized milk has the same health benefits as drinking tide.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    +1. When I run out of Tide, I use milk. Whites come out whiter than with using bleach. Wool comes out soft and fluffy.

  13. #13
    Log off and go ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,658
    Use whole milk on your heavy winter clothes, skim milk on your lightweight summer togs...

  14. #14
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8,238
    I like Oxy-Clean with my eggs please.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  15. #15
    Here, diagonally!
    Reputation: JACKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,098
    CTL, it appears you've stirred up this controversy again. Just FYI, the American Dairy Council does monitor these forums, and their tentacles are far-reaching.

    I do want to let everyone know that I love milk.
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Is it blue on one side and white on the other or did you buy two of whatever that is?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattyice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Short answer... nope.

    Longer answer: most of us already eat more protein than our bodies can turn into muscle. There's nothing wrong with that, but it also makes eating extra or weirder protein pointless. Recovery drinks at the right time seem to have a little more evidence backing them, however.
    I forget where the study came from, I'll have to try to find it, I think from UCLA- but they did a study on when and how much protein is necessary for muscle recovery and the crucial time is within 30 minutes post workout and If I remember right you need 14grams of essential amino acids which translates roughly to 47 (if I remember right) grams of complete protein (dairy being the best)

    So whey, eggs, Greek yogurt, milk, etc.

    I suppose you could always take an amino complex, but your body will always process natural foods better.

    And yes, unless you are a pro bodybuilder, 1/2 gram per pound is beyond enough protein for one day. Most people could probably get away with 1/3 g/ pound and not have a deficiency. Don't short yourself, but don't spend hundreds a month on supplements when you can eat a yogurt, a couple of eggs, a glass of milk, and a chicken breast during the day.
    Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery

  17. #17
    Log off and go ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,658
    Of course, do not forget protein supplements have calories too. Four calories per gram. So if you are tracking caloric intake you must also factor in the protein supplements.

    Also, your body does not store excess amino acids for later use. Whatever is not used for tissue building and repair immediately is burned for fuel or converted to fat. This why spreading your protein intake during the day makes recovery easier. Keeps your body in anabolism longer. Once you figure out your total daily protein needs divide by four. That is the max you should consume post workout. The rest is distributed throughout the day with your regular meals and snacks.

  18. #18
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyice View Post
    I forget where the study came from, I'll have to try to find it, I think from UCLA- but they did a study on when and how much protein is necessary for muscle recovery and the crucial time is within 30 minutes post workout and If I remember right you need 14grams of essential amino acids which translates roughly to 47 (if I remember right) grams of complete protein (dairy being the best)

    So whey, eggs, Greek yogurt, milk, etc.

    I suppose you could always take an amino complex, but your body will always process natural foods better.

    And yes, unless you are a pro bodybuilder, 1/2 gram per pound is beyond enough protein for one day. Most people could probably get away with 1/3 g/ pound and not have a deficiency. Don't short yourself, but don't spend hundreds a month on supplements when you can eat a yogurt, a couple of eggs, a glass of milk, and a chicken breast during the day.
    As soon as you say dairy and humans you lose credibility. Unless you mean breast milk based dairy products.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  19. #19
    Log off and go ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,658
    Everyone here is already aware of your lactophobia. You do not like milk, then do not drink it. For the rest of us there is no reason to avoid it unless you have a lactose intolerance or other sensitivity.

  20. #20
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Everyone here is already aware of your lactophobia. You do not like milk, then do not drink it. For the rest of us there is no reason to avoid it unless you have a lactose intolerance or other sensitivity.
    Everybody reading this over the age of two has lactose intolerance. You sound like some type of nutrition person yet as soon as you say humans should drink milk you lose all credibility. Not to mention the fact that they cook all nutritional value out of milk and then pump it with chemicals. So raw milk, processed milk, etc it doesnt matter. Knowledge is power. It has nothing to do with hating milk and everything to do with loving myself. Drink some tide then if you think milk is healthy. They hold the same nutrition content after pasteurized and processed.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TrailGoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    217
    why not just cook and eat them?

  22. #22
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8,238
    Bottom line is tolerance for whatever you choose to consume, for whatever reason. We all have some crosses to bear.
    Last edited by Cleared2land; 02-21-2017 at 04:35 PM.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  23. #23
    Log off and go ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Everybody reading this over the age of two has lactose intolerance.... Not to mention the fact that they cook all nutritional value out of milk and then pump it with chemicals..... Drink some tide then if you think milk is healthy. They hold the same nutrition content after pasteurized and processed.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Not quite. I assure you I am not lactose intolerant. No one in my family is. The percentages vary by race and ethnicity, ranging from <15% in northern Europeans to near 100% in east Asians. Genomic research suggests the incidence of intolerance is actually decreasing globally. In several generations it is possible intolerance will be rare in some ethnicities.
    Lactose intolerance is caused by the LCT gene which tells the body to manufacture lactase -- the enzyme necessary to digest lactose. Originally, this gene 'turned off' as a child approached puberty, so in adulthood the body stopped making lactase. Then sometime around 6-8000 years ago in northern Europe, a genetic mutation occurred. The LCT gene did not turn off. That person(s) kept making lactase as an adult. Had this mutation occurred in elsewhere in the world, it may have died out. Northern Europe has long cold winters with scarce food sources half the year. Being able to drink milk as an adult had a major evolutionary advantage -- a year around food source. So the mutation spread. In other parts of the world with year around food availability this mutation was less important. This explains the wide differences in intolerance. The further away from northern Europe, the greater the incidence of intolerance. The same mutation also occurred at about the same time in central Africa, but for some reason did not widely spread.

    As far as pasteurization -- turning milk into detergent is just silly. Pasteurization does lower slightly some nutrition -- most notably vitamin C and Iodine, and changes some of the calcium into a less absorbable form -- but these are minor effects. Most of the C, iodine, and calcium are unchanged. There is greater variation between individual milk samples than between pasteurized versus raw. The advantage is longer shelf life and the decrease in several foodborne diseases and this is deemed to outweigh the small nutritional change. Both the USDA and the CDC in the U.S (and their counterparts in other countries) have determined for all practical purposes there are no significant nutritional differences between raw versus pasteurized milk.

    Neither is milk 'pumped full of chemicals'. BST used to be given to cows to produce more milk. BST is the hormone cows naturally produce while gestating to stimulate lactation. Additional rBST used to be given to cows (the r prefix means recombinant, i.e. made in a lab, but chemically identical to the natural BST) to keep the cows producing milk long after the calf was weaned. This is less common now. In fact, I cannot find any milk sold in any local supermarket which still uses rBST. Perhaps in some other industrial milk productions, but not in milk sold for human consumption. At least none I can find. Our local dairy does not use rBST.

    So if you do not want to consume dairy, then don't. There are other sources of complete protein and calcium. If one adds dairy to their diet, then nothing is wrong with that either. Until the emerging science of nutritional genomics develops a knowledge base to fine tune your nutritional needs to match your individual DNA we are stuck using general population based studies. Those studies show milk is healthy and nutritious for most adults.

    Whey is dairy also. Whey is the leftover waste from industrial cheese production. Cheese factories used to throw it out, or sell it as inexpensive livestock feed supplement. Then some marketing genius figured out they could package it as a human performance supplement and peddle it to bodybuilders for more profit. Voila! An entire class of nutrition supplements was born.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

  24. #24
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,873
    Cut me Mick... chugging raw ones definitely worked for Rocky.

    When I was a kid, we made milk shakes in the blender with raw eggs.

    These days, I eat them every morning for breakfast... over easy but like 'em runny.

    Haven't died yet.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

    Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

  25. #25
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8,238
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Haven't died yet.
    It's inevitable though...hopefully it won't be crossing the road though.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattyice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    It's inevitable though...hopefully it won't be crossing the road though.
    well, none of us get out alive anyways...
    Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    69
    When I was a young lad I ate four dozen eggs every morning to help me get large.

    And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs so I'm roughly the size of a BARGE!

  28. #28
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,753
    Raw eggs-ouhuzzd.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,352
    Raw eggs have an enzyme that if you eat them regularly you will loose vitamins and get an intolerance to them. Think about it this way. In the wild species of birds typically mate and nest at the same time. If a predator finds eating eggs is easy, they can wipeasily out an entire generation. So the natural defence is to make the egg eater sick of eggs.So save raw eggs for the heavy workout days.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,632
    Biotin deficiency? I didn't know if that was actually ever proven.

    Eggs are the most bioavailable protein source found in nature. Not only that, they are a complete protein and are loaded with a myriad of other nutrients necessary to our survival. We evolved and most likely coevolved eating them starting at least 6 million years ago. Doubtful we started cooking them untill very recently. Furthermore, raw eggs are fun to throw at shit.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,352
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Biotin deficiency? I didn't know if that was actually ever proven.

    Eggs are the most bioavailable protein source found in nature. Not only that, they are a complete protein and are loaded with a myriad of other nutrients necessary to our survival. We evolved and most likely coevolved eating them starting at least 6 million years ago. Doubtful we started cooking them untill very recently. Furthermore, raw eggs are fun to throw at shit.
    I'll try and find what its called. It's found in the whites of eggs. The biotin depletion is not proven. But how the enzyme effects you would be indegestion, and allergic reaction. Some people done have issues, some get them. And think it's food poisoning.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MyCol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    51
    egg whites (cooked) for the win!

  33. #33
    Up In Smoke
    Reputation: Train Wreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,553
    Who's trying to build muscle in the first place? .... But yeah, I'll eat 'em raw.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    11
    I have tried that eggs for additional protein but if you're doubt about bacteria then buy quality protein.

Similar Threads

  1. Eggs !..
    By Fishbucket in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-18-2013, 10:25 PM
  2. no eggs were found
    By SlowerThenSnot in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 08:15 AM
  3. (sk)eggs and bacon
    By El Santo in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-08-2011, 05:31 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 07:52 AM
  5. No eggs were found....
    By SlowerThenSnot in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-08-2011, 06:56 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.