Over or under hydrated?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Over or under hydrated?

I did my first ever bike race last weekend, an enduro, in 90 degree heat and ran in to some fairly major issues with cramp, crippling cramps that were so bad I couldn't do anything but scream in pain by the side of the trail for several minutes of my final stage.

There were no aid stations or water sources a long the route, so I packed 2.5 liters of water and plenty of bars as well as a small pack of olives for some extra salt.

I'd been out on the course for a little over three hours when the cramps started to make themselves known. At first it was just a tightness in my hamstrings. I got off my bike, stretched, did some mobility work, etc and took the rest of the transfer verrry slow and steady (lots of pushing).

Things progressively got worse, and a few minutes in to the final stage I was incapacitated. This was about hour four, and I had just run out of water before starting the final stage.

While there were certainly a couple of other people who suffered a similar fate, but there were many more who expressed their surprise that I'd had such difficulties, and had consumed much less water and not had any cramping issues.

Am I over hydrating? I didn't feel like it, I didn't need to pee once. Do I need to try some sport drink mixes?

Any thoughts, comments, etc appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    In conditions like that, water often times isnt enough to keep somebody hydrated. You need to also consider an electrolyte supplement like Skratch Labs, or Drip Drop offer. There are a ton of other options as well. Some of the gu packets have electrolytes as well. It definitely doesnt sound like you were overhydrated and I would bet that you cramped from be dehydrated.
    roots, rocks, logs, downhills, jumps, drops, chutes, climbs...repeat

mtbr member
    How long was the enduro? How often do you go for rides that long or longer?

Cramps can often be a fitness issue rather than a hydration issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sshapiro112 View Post
    In conditions like that, water often times isnt enough to keep somebody hydrated. You need to also consider an electrolyte supplement like Skratch Labs, or Drip Drop offer. There are a ton of other options as well. Some of the gu packets have electrolytes as well. It definitely doesnt sound like you were overhydrated and I would bet that you cramped from be dehydrated.
    Thanks. I'll certainly try some of the mixes and see how I get on!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    How long was the enduro? How often do you go for rides that long or longer?

Cramps can often be a fitness issue rather than a hydration issue.
    15 miles / 3k vert. I've ridden the course before without any real issues, but on a much less warm day. I'm also usually good for a 25-30 mile ride, albeit with less elevation/mile. While it's possible, my gut feeling is that this is related to hydration one way or another.

Formerly of Kent
    Id suggest pedaling a lot harder on the transitions.

If 15mi with 3k of elevation is taking 3hrs, youre cooking for a lot, lot longer than you need to. Which is probably a good portion of the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.