non-Maltodextrin based energy drink- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

non-Maltodextrin based energy drink

I'm looking for an energy drink for 3-6hr rides that contains no maltodextrin. I do not get on well with maltodextrin based products, even kettle corn/kettle chips.

I see that Tailwind's Endurance fuel is dextrose based. Inifinit's main products contain maltodextrin, but they said a custom blend could be made substituting dextrose.

I typically use Powdered gatorade, also dextrose, for short rides, but it is too sweet and not enough calories for longer events.

This DIY drink came up in some googling:
    -8 TBSP of glucose (dextrose) powder (bulk food store)
    -3 TBSP of fructose powder (bulk food store). This gives the 2:1 ratio, in all the new commercial products.
    -1/4tsp salt.
    -Pinch of No-Salt (potassium).
    -1" of juice in a large waterbottle (just for flavor)
    -Fill the rest with water.

Anyway, any suggestions appreciated

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl View Post
    I'm looking for an energy drink for 3-6hr rides that contains no maltodextrin. I do not get on well with maltodextrin based products, even kettle corn/kettle chips.

I see that Tailwind's Endurance fuel is dextrose based. Inifinit's main products contain maltodextrin, but they said a custom blend could be made substituting dextrose.

I typically use Powdered gatorade, also dextrose, for short rides, but it is too sweet and not enough calories for longer events.

This DIY drink came up in some googling:
    -8 TBSP of glucose (dextrose) powder (bulk food store)
    -3 TBSP of fructose powder (bulk food store). This gives the 2:1 ratio, in all the new commercial products.
    -1/4tsp salt.
    -Pinch of No-Salt (potassium).
    -1" of juice in a large waterbottle (just for flavor)
    -Fill the rest with water.

Anyway, any suggestions appreciated
    I've also had problems with maltodextrin. I use Skratch labs. Light flavor and really easy to drink. Not enough calories so I supplement with Skratch or honey stinger chews and gels. This combo has worked well for me on very long rides. I tried Tailwind last summer but didn't love the taste and it was too salty for me. I know lots of people love Tailwind so I may try again this summer.

mtbr member
    I use fruit juice diluted to my preferred calorie content, usually 100 cal/24oz. I'll add a bit less than 1/8 level tsp of table salt to take care of the electrolytes. Sodium is the only electrolyte significantly lost via sweat so the only one that might need as supplementation during a ride. I believe the purported benefits of commercial mixes are way overstated.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Im off gels at the moment in favour of GCN bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMJEIiWV3VQ

But if you're ok with a diy option, you can make a great Maltodextrin free gel using brown rice syrup instead. I did it because maltodextrine isn't necessarily gluten free and being celiac I had to be sure.

brown rice syrup, agave nectar, sea salt, bcaa's, and water, make a great gel.

mtbr member
    ^^^ good plan. Brown rice syrup is essentially all glucose. Agave nectar is essentially 100% fructose. Nothing wrong with that, but use in appropriate moderation. Your basic table sugar, sucrose, is 50/50 glucose fructose.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I also canít handle the poly sugars as theyíre basically laxatives! Which isnít wise out in the woods! Lol

I just drink water out on my ride, I have a pre and post ride EEA drink and protein shake to stop muscle brakedown. Then for fuel carb load with oats before heading out and on the trails small calorie packed foods. Namely Dates, nuts and some candy/gummies. Having a mix of sugar with fats is excellent to have a steady release of fuel without a sugar high and crash.

Donít go too crazy with dates or youíll be getting the same results as the poly sugars. I try to have no more than 5/6 whole dates without adverse effects

This is my wisdom of nutrition research from bodybuilding and consulting with my naturopath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Using Skratch labs and like it over a lot of other stuff I have tried over the last few years.