Maurten- Mtbr.com

Thread: Maurten

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Maurten

I heard about this drink over the summer when they were using it for the 2hr marathon attempt and I've heard a bit more about it recently, but I haven't seen heard from any people who actually use it. Looking for more info:

Basically, Maurten is a high carbohydrate sports drink (they have an 80gr/500ml and 40gr/500ml version) that claims to be palatable and, more strikingly, claims to get around molality problem of other hi-carb drinks by using some sort of "hydrogel".

Honestly - I'm a little skeptical. I haven't heard anyone like Stacy Sims or Alan Lim give their opinion on it and I haven't heard of anyone actually use it. I'm curious though, because a product like this would significantly ease problems with eating enough calories during longer MTB events. I'm considering forking over 50 euros for a box, but wanted to hear about any experiences on here first...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Do you work for Maurten?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    urg... no. Why?

mtbr member
    Interesting review demonstrating the formation of the hydrogel in the low Ph of the stomach.
    The Maurten Hydrogels Review – Unbonk!
    I don't work for them either

mtbr member
    Anybody have any thoughts? Would these be good to use just at the beginning of a long endurance race, or just toward the end, when hours of sport drink mixes start to take a toll? Or maybe for the entire race, say a 100 mile race?

I just got two packs and have a 140 mile road bike ride this weekend....maybe I'll be the guinea pig....Lol.
    '15 Spesh Epic World Cup
    '16 Spesh Crux
    '17 Spesh Epic HT

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I don't see what it is providing that Tailwind, or Infinit Nutrition doesn't. Maybe just that it is mixed in a bit less water, but I am not so sure that is a benefit.

mtbr member
    Planning on trying it for an Epic Rides event after hearing it discussed on the Ask a Cycling Coach and MTB Podcasts. Apparently doesn’t have the taste or viscosity of other drinks or products so much more palatable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    Planning on trying it for an Epic Rides event after hearing it discussed on the Ask a Cycling Coach and MTB Podcasts. Apparently doesn’t have the taste or viscosity of other drinks or products so much more palatable.
    Yep, Johnathan Lee seems to be a fan of it. I guess I must be odd b/c I actually enjoy the taste of Tailwind orange or the unflavored. But of course that is just me...

Members who have read this thread: 1