Looking for reviews on the Osprey viper 3 or syncro 3- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Looking for reviews on the Osprey viper 3 or syncro 3

I need to replace my 10 year old Camelbak mule. For probably 9 out of the ten years Iíve disliked its bulkiness and always felt it to be uncomfortable and big. It was just one of those things that I simply just dealt with instead of replacing- I dunno.

I never drank the entire 100oz of water as most of my rides are usually around 2 hours so the 85 oz bladder in both osprey models isnít an issue.

I like the idea of the smaller Viper 3 but Iím not able to see one in a store and there arenít really any good YouTube reviews showing itís storage capability. I usually only pack my phone, wallet, keys, snack, multi tool and maybe a tube and thatís about it.

Any real world Input on either of these two packs and maybe how they compare to the Camelbak mule would really be helping me out.
    Thanks

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by DAD BOD View Post
    I need to replace my 10 year old Camelbak mule. For probably 9 out of the ten years Iíve disliked its bulkiness and always felt it to be uncomfortable and big. It was just one of those things that I simply just dealt with instead of replacing- I dunno.

I never drank the entire 100oz of water as most of my rides are usually around 2 hours so the 85 oz bladder in both osprey models isnít an issue.

I like the idea of the smaller Viper 3 but Iím not able to see one in a store and there arenít really any good YouTube reviews showing itís storage capability. I usually only pack my phone, wallet, keys, snack, multi tool and maybe a tube and thatís about it.

Any real world Input on either of these two packs and maybe how they compare to the Camelbak mule would really be helping me out.
    Thanks
    Check out the Light Hydration Pack thread on here, also.

I switched from Camelback to Osprey years ago, and love Osprey packs. Have a bigger Raptor and Viper currently, but went through the same process to find a lighter pack for shorter rides.

I bought the Syncro 3, Viper 3 and Camelback Octane, and tried out each of them around the house, with full bladders. The Camelback was actually pretty nice, but it was between the Ospreyís. I went back and forth, and chose the Syncro 3 because of itís nice suspended design and it being slimmer, with the weight down a bit more on your back. The Viper sits a bit higher on your back, and fits subtly different. You really should try both. Also, depending on how much you plan on carrying, the Viper gives a bit more room because the Syncro is a more minimal, slimmer fit. A tube will be bulky in the Syncro, but fit better in the Viper. Again, you need to check both out with what youíll be carrying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Does the viper have the back suspension? I know the syncro does. The syncro would be an easy choice if that were the case. IMO Osprey is superior to camel back by a wide margin.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Which one will have the minimum amount of space for keys wallet phone and a tube and tool, without having to really pack the stuff in hard. One of my big complaints with the MULE was all of the unused extra space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am Walt
    Apologies; the thread on Minimalist Hydration Packs is in the Endurance XC Racing forum; not this one.

Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Does the viper have the back suspension? I know the syncro does. The syncro would be an easy choice if that were the case. IMO Osprey is superior to camel back by a wide margin.
    No, and that's why I chose the Syncro. Great suspension system. Agree re Osprey.

Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Which one will have the minimum amount of space for keys wallet phone and a tube and tool, without having to really pack the stuff in hard. One of my big complaints with the MULE was all of the unused extra space

Hook for keys, wallet and phone and tool can go in the zip pocket, tube can go in the other stuff pocket, but it will be a bit bulky. It's a slim profile pack.

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Hook for keys, wallet and phone and tool can go in the zip pocket, tube can go in the other stuff pocket, but it will be a bit bulky. It's a slim profile pack.

Which pack are you referring to? The viper or syncro

I am Walt
    Which pack are you referring to? The viper or syncro

Syncro. Viper has a bit more room out from your back, but no suspension. Syncro is a slimmer, flatter look, with a suspension frame. Syncro is actually slightly lighter, IIRC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...