Doing my first 24hr relay in June. Advjice on Nutrition?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Doing my first 24hr relay in June. Advjice on Nutrition?

So I searched, and couldn't find much on nutrition for a 24hr relay. I'll be on a 5 person team. I've raced regularly for a few years, but never a 24hr. So any advice/opinions on nutrition/hydration is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    We've been doing this race format for years in a variety of combinations, from 2-man to 5 person. Try to eat normal food vs subsiding on supplements. Your body will be much happier for it. Being in the racing scene, you know what macros to cover (ex, carbs, protein, sodium, etc).

I'd suggest that the 5 of you plans out some good meals that you can manage on a small propane grill; that way you can enjoy some hot food including meat for protein quickly between laps, and then you all can prep some hot food for the next guy coming off of his lap. When morning rolls around, you can fire up eggs and bacon which everyone will appreciate.

Stock up on fruit and veggies, either fresh or prepped, to keep on hand or in your coolers.

With 5 of you, you'll have time to eat well and rest between your laps. Bring plenty of water and anything else you prefer. I like having chocolate milk, Cokes and fresh juice. Make sure you have some kind of coffee pot too.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    would look to have fruit, nuts, dried friut throughout the day. Diluted coconut water would be my drink of choice. Three, four small quick meals, with dinner and breakfast sit down relax, eat alot, hopefully warm. Then coffee or bed.
    Also agree with eat normal foods so whatever you'r eating during the race should be somewhat 'normal' to you
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot for the responses guys! I normally use gels in an xc race. Thinking I might get gut rot if I use them continually for 24 hrs. Do you guys stay away from them entirely in an event like this? Or maybe only for night/early morning laps?