Combatting feelings of dehydration on rides- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Combatting feelings of dehydration on rides

I am one of those guys who can never have too much water on a ride. I drink water constantly, and always feel like i need more. I know i am drinking enough as I dont cramp up on rides, nor is my urine bright yellow, but the feeling, sensation remains.

My question is this: Is there a product that will help me retain more water and hopefully dimish this feeling of constantly needing more fluids? At this point, i'd love to just be less reliant on water and make less go further, so I can forego a hydration pack and just use my on bike bottle, and at most, my hip packs small resovoir.

Am I SOL, or is there something that could help?
    I'm just gonna send it.

mtbr member
    Have you ever been checked for diabetes?

The fitter I get the less water I drink on a ride. Beginning season I drink as much water on a 10 mile as do now on a 27-30 mile ride, and at a much harder pace. You may also try making sure you well hydrated leading up to your rides.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Have you ever been checked for diabetes?

The fitter I get the less water I drink on a ride. Beginning season I drink as much water on a 10 mile as do now on a 27-30 mile ride, and at a much harder pace. You may also try making sure you well hydrated leading up to your rides.
    Yep i have been tested, came back negative. I do drink lots before my rides too (i drink water constantly throughout the day). I do feel like i need less now, like you, than the beginning of the season, but that feeling is still there. Perhaps its because I am a mouth breather and get bad allergies, so I often cant use my nose to control airflow.
    I'm just gonna send it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Is it just dry mouth/throat or does the feeling go beyond that? If you're just getting dried out, I'm not sure if there's much you can do besides minimizing the mouth-breathing. Maybe hold some water in your mouth a while before swallowing from time to time? I have that problem occasionally when I'm on a bike a long time in a very low humidity environment. I try breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth when I feel it happening. A couple of weeks ago I dried out enough that the uvula(the little thing that hangs down your mouth) became inflamed, swollen and elongated--weird sensation. It's happened before, but it's been about ten years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I do a lot of mouth breathing myself for similar reasons. I find chewing gum during rides helps a lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Make sure you are hydrated before the ride are you drinking enough the night and day before? There is also pre-workout drinks that they say help fend off cramps.

mtbr member
    Another mouth breather, but go by Pee color and weight loss over a ride to judge if I'm drinking enough.

Easily 1 liter/hour,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by milliesand View Post
    Another mouth breather, but go by Pee color and weight loss over a ride to judge if I'm drinking enough.

Easily 1 liter/hour,
    Same, although I drink a bit less if it is cold out.

Try adding a couple Nuun Active (calorie free electrolyte) tablets to your water if you are going out for a couple hours or more. I find water with electrolytes more thirst quenching, and I think I have fewer leg cramps that way. It also becomes more and more important when you are drinking 32+ oz in a ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b rock View Post
    Same, although I drink a bit less if it is cold out.

Try adding a couple Nuun Active (calorie free electrolyte) tablets to your water if you are going out for a couple hours or more. I find water with electrolytes more thirst quenching, and I think I have fewer leg cramps that way. It also becomes more and more important when you are drinking 32+ oz in a ride.
    I have a full pack of NuuN i will give a try for sure!

I have noticed that since I began riding this season, I have been able to significantly reduce my dependance on water after each ride. Im sure weather plays a part, but also fitness and stamina seem to be helping too, as im not as winded and sucking in air throguh my mouth, drying it out.
    I'm just gonna send it.