The Bonk- Mtbr.com

Thread: The Bonk

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

The Bonk

so i usually eat croissants and have coffee and shit loads of water on the trail....
    just watching a video and this guy is eating gummy bears and gels???
    what do you do?
    i have got the Bonk (i think from eating sweet things) and 15k out from base its not nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I don't eat whilst riding. I have enough stored energy in the fat in my love handles to ride 500 miles.

However if you eat croissants, gummy bears and gels your blood sugar will be so high you won't be able to access that stored fat and you will... BONK.
    2013 Scott Scale 970 (Reba fork)
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8 (with added RS dropper post)
    2019 Trek Remedy 8

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post
    I don't eat whilst riding. I have enough stored energy in the fat in my love handles to ride 500 miles.

However if you eat croissants, gummy bears and gels your blood sugar will be so high you won't be able to access that stored fat and you will... BONK.
    I don't think that's how it works...

mtbr member

The Bonk

Quote Originally Posted by Dunneryak View Post
    so i usually eat croissants and have coffee and shit loads of water on the trail....
    just watching a video and this guy is eating gummy bears and gels???
    what do you do?
    i have got the Bonk (i think from eating sweet things) and 15k out from base its not nice.
    Is your piss clear? You need to pre hydrate daily before the ride. No amount of water just before and during will unbonk you.

Also do the bread carbs before the ride and the sugar during.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I thought The Bonk was some new Trek fat bike model or suspension to replace ABP that was going to make me ride super fast. Again I leave disappointed.

mtbr member
    Riding N. FL heat and humidity necessitates good electrolyte balance as well as sugar/carbs. SaltStick caps get the job done for me. GU gels are my go-to for a quick sugar boost on the trail. Both easily travel in hydration fanny pack along with 1.5L of water, a couple of Clif bars and some tools. After riding in the summer here, the fall/winter/spring season is a breeze...
    2018 Fuel Ex 5 27.5+
    Bontrager Dropline 125
    Ergon GP1 BioKork grips
    Pedaling Innovations Catalysts

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post

That works fine so long as you are remaining in a aerobic state, but if youíre riding requires anaerobic bursts, especially if they are sustained or frequent, your body will not be able to convert fat to energy fast enough to keep up with energy demands and cause you to bonk. Eventually, your body will begin breaking down muscle for energy stores and then You get into a self defeating cycle of trading off muscle for energy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    I thought The Bonk was some new Trek fat bike model or suspension to replace ABP that was going to make me ride super fast. Again I leave disappointed.
    That'd be Bonktrager.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    That'd be Bonktrager.
    lol...very good...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    That'd be Bonktrager.
    That's way better than my comment

My comment was kind of funny when it was originally posted in the Trek forum. Now it sounds like I'm on crack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    Or perhaps you're thinking of Reeb's Bonkadonk? I don't think they make that model anymore. Sorry to disappoint you again.
    Veni vidi velo!

Up In Smoke
    I'll have at least 1 nutria-grain bar per hour, anything over 2 hours and I'll pack a few PB&J sandwiches. Bonking sucks big time, bring food and eat it throughout the ride. I don't eat gummy bears while not riding, so there's no chance I'll eat them during a ride, but I'm sure others out there swear by it. I avoid anything with chocolate, its a known migraine trigger for me and it sucks because a lot of energy/powerbars have chocolate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    If I bonk I need sugar, I carry apple sauce pouches. Works fast, gives me a lot of energy and donít upset my stomach. Itís natural sugar vs candy sugar.