bladder-safe electrolyte add-ins?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

bladder-safe electrolyte add-ins?

I think I need to get some electrolytes to avoid headaches but I use a hydration pack for water. Last time I added stuff to the bladder it got ruined by algae growth despite cleaning it.

Any electrolyte tablets (or whatever else) that wont accelerate the growth of algae?

EAT MORE GRIME
    soak that thing with water and bleach every once in a while overnight

it will work and it is safe....if you rinse it two/three times and still taste a tiny
    bit of bleach ignore that it is 100% safe

anything else...not as good as bleach and certainly not as cheap
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Yeah. Bleach is good. It kills everything and decomposes the organic molecules left over. I dilute some to 10% in water, swish it around in the bladder and run it through the hose then let it sit for 15 minutes or so before rinsing it out. It can leave a little of that swimming pool chlorine taste but it goes away. Between bleach treatments, I'll rinse it out very well with warm/hot water after every use.

Some put their empty bladder in the freezer between rides. This will keep stuff from growing while in there but doesn't kill what grows when it's not in the freezer. It could be a good method of increasing the time between bleach treatments.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    I third the bleach. I leave it overnight and add some through the house as well. Rinse. I kinda like the bleach flavor lol

Cycologist
    I only put water in my Camelbak but in the hot summertime, I keep thinking about carrying a bottle along as well with some electrolytes.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

EAT MORE GRIME
    carry 3-2 or 3-1 concentrate in a bottle, and plain water in camelbak. mix in mouth.

= clean camelbak
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I store them in the freezer.

You probably want to avoid sugar, or vitamins or other things that microbes need. Note that many ready-mix powders include sugar.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    This company BEEST sent me some of their electrolyte pills. I've been using them on my last few rides and I'm thinking they work pretty good. I have been impressed with them so far. It's made for mountain bikers. Check them out here: https://www.beestlifestyle.com/
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

orthonormal
    I've had no problems with bacterial growth using Tailwind or EFS in my hydration bladder as long as I rinse with hot water immediately after my rides.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Interplanetary Poultry
    I fill my bladder all the way up with ice, then fill with Gatorade, then top off the remaining space with water. After the ride I use hot water and cleaning tablets to flush out the bladder.
    https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Val...1FXSZ59K1228SQ
    bladder-safe electrolyte add-ins?-resevoir-tablets.jpg
    Rinse, fill with hot water, drop in tablet, let soak, drain, rinse, hang dry. Works well for me.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    this is the hydration reservoir I use, every other brand i have tried has been disappointing. no going back to anything else. It has a glass like coating that inhibits all gunge growth. this company provides hydration packs to the military. https://sourceoutdoor.com/en/content...ion-technology