Algae- Mtbr.com

Thread: Algae

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Algae

I recently heard a podcast (episode 100) about algae with someone from Energybits about the benefits of algae. theirs are pretty expensive (about $4 for a daily dose) and they claim to be not-heat dried, which is important for keeping enzymes alive.

This got me interested, but the price, even for quality is shocking. I looked for alternative algae, but none state how they dry them.

1. What is your (educated) take on the benefits of algae? Especially for people who already eat a decent variety of vegetables etc.
    2. What inexpensive but quality (e.g. not heat dried etc.) are there?
    3. Any other related experiences
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    I do not use it nor do I have a brand to suggest but there's probably 200 or more quality peer published studies on algae. I've read several and the blue green varieties in particular seem very very good indeed. However, as you alluded to, a lot of benefits are gone once they're dried.

There are several ways to arrive at a powdered supplement. The highest concentrate would be juicing it then drying the juice vs dried powdered whole plant. When I use powdered supplements I always choose dried juice powders.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    That website sets off a bunch of red flags for me. There is no magic health pill! The dose of B12 in that supplement is added in; spirulina doesn't contain any. Most likely, the small boost in energy you might feel would be due to that, and maybe a little placebo affect.

If you eat a good variety of unprocessed foods, especially nuts, seeds, fruits, and veggies, your body most likely doesn't need anything else. Your body is very good at taking only what it needs, when it needs it, and filters out the rest.

If you want to try it out, just buy some spirulina powder on Amazon for like $15-20. Mix it into a smoothy or something.

A great place to get your fix is a seaweed salad from a decent sushi place. Very tasty with some rice vinegar and sesame seeds!
    The cake is a lie.

EAT MORE GRIME
    it's a load of BS you can flush your money down the toilet about as fast

have a potato and some peanuts and be far better off than eating algae
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Kelp is an alga. Lots of it for free if you live on the Left Coast.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    That website sets off a bunch of red flags for me. There is no magic health pill! The dose of B12 in that supplement is added in; spirulina doesn't contain any. Most likely, the small boost in energy you might feel would be due to that, and maybe a little placebo affect.

If you eat a good variety of unprocessed foods, especially nuts, seeds, fruits, and veggies, your body most likely doesn't need anything else. Your body is very good at taking only what it needs, when it needs it, and filters out the rest.

If you want to try it out, just buy some spirulina powder on Amazon for like $15-20. Mix it into a smoothy or something.

A great place to get your fix is a seaweed salad from a decent sushi place. Very tasty with some rice vinegar and sesame seeds!
    thanks. I eat lot of different raw veggies, nuts, seeds, meat etc. So I shouldn't need supplements. and cavemen likely didn't eat algae.

I assume just trying out some of that powder would be hard to do due to placebo effect and how well I sleep etc. likely has more immediate impact on my energy. I'll check out seaweed....

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Kelp is an alga. Lots of it for free if you live on the Left Coast.
    I already have kelp powder (for iodide).
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

always licking the glass
    Sounds like the raw water scam. Step away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

mtbr member
    soylent green alga. Now on Amazon in bulk. I can't say enough good things about, plus its 100% sustainable.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post

This. You can buy many types of seaweed in Asian grocery stores, maybe especially Japanese stores. My wife is Asian.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

EAT MORE GRIME
    multilevel marketing
    pyramid schemes
    pseudo nutritional science

it's what's for dinner
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Members who have read this thread: 2