YT Capra or Jeffsy (Both 27.5 AL 2018) for Pisgah/Bike Pakrs????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

YT Capra or Jeffsy (Both 27.5 AL 2018) for Pisgah/Bike Pakrs????

Hey guys so I am moving to Charlotte and currently have a fun hardtail, Tokul 2 2017, that can handle trail riding and flowy stuff really well, but I am looking to upgrade to a full suspension for the gnarlier stuff.

I see myself riding probably 70-80% trail riding in Pisgah/Dupont doing gnarly pisgah stuff on my full susp and the flowy dupont stuff on my hardtail. I would probably do 20-30% of my riding at bike parks like Bailey, Beech, Windrock, and since im from VA snowshoe as well.

My question is... JEFFSY OR CAPRA?!? Haha i know capra is way better downhill and im not much of a climber so as long as i can pedal to the top without dying im good. But i just feel like a capra would be an overkill for a good amount of the riding I would be doing, besides the super rocky stuff and bike parks.

I was thinking maybe get the Jeffsey and swap out the air shaft to make it a 160mm travel fork to help it out on gnarly stuff and bike parks.

What do you guys think? Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Capra would be my vote. I havenít ridden either bike, but I would definitely rather have the more burly Capra for those trails. The majority of the climbs are non-technical gravel/forest roads. Iím from Charlotte as well and ride Pisgah quite often. Iím on a pivot Mach 6 (155 rear/160 front) and can make the climbs reasonably well (even with heavy tires and suspension bits).

Do you plan to ride Charlotte area trails as well? They are more XC-ish but the trail system here is actually pretty good. Pisgah and DuPont are both about a 2 hour drive from Charlotte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Get something you can put a water bottle in. You won't want to ride either down DH tracks at bike parks but should be fine on mellow flow trails. Run Cushcores at bike parks at least. Are the bikes you want even in stock at YT or are you planning on waiting until after the embargo around Sea Otter?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My vote is that you should go to the hub, and rent a bike in each travel category for a full day.

I personally think the capra is a lot of bike for pisgah... but you could be way more rad than I am

There are a lot of gravel climbs out there... if you choose to climb the gravel. There are tons of single track climbs as well. I settled on a a 29er Jeffsy for the place. I only have one weekend out there on it, but I really dig it so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I live in the Asheville area and own a 2017 Jeffsy 27 AL One, I think it's a great bike for the area. I've found myself lusting over the new Capra's as well, but honestly I think I'd be way over-biked. I have no issue railing techy Pisgah trails on my bike in its current configuration.

Part of it probably depends on your style, too. I'm very light on the bike, move it around a lot under me and like to pick my lines carefully. If you're more of a "point and shoot" type, you might like the Capra 29 more. The Capra 27 has a slightly different suspension tune, making it better at taking big hits and more park adept, while the 29 has a stiffer more efficient tune for covering ground.

The 2017 AL One came stock with 22.5mm iW rims, which I've upgraded to I9 Enduro 305s, and swapped the High Roller II's for a Minion DHF 2.5 up front, and Aggressor 2.5 rear. I'm considering swapping the Deluxe out for a Cane Creek coil, and changing out the air spring in the Pike to up the travel to 160mm, but honestly this is a want for the sake of wanting, the bike is rad the way it is. I haven't ever felt like the bike is holding me back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbeh View Post
    I live in the Asheville area and own a 2017 Jeffsy 27 AL One, I think it's a great bike for the area. I've found myself lusting over the new Capra's as well, but honestly I think I'd be way over-biked. I have no issue railing techy Pisgah trails on my bike in its current configuration.

Part of it probably depends on your style, too. I'm very light on the bike, move it around a lot under me and like to pick my lines carefully. If you're more of a "point and shoot" type, you might like the Capra 29 more. The Capra 27 has a slightly different suspension tune, making it better at taking big hits and more park adept, while the 29 has a stiffer more efficient tune for covering ground.

The 2017 AL One came stock with 22.5mm iW rims, which I've upgraded to I9 Enduro 305s, and swapped the High Roller II's for a Minion DHF 2.5 up front, and Aggressor 2.5 rear. I'm considering swapping the Deluxe out for a Cane Creek coil, and changing out the air spring in the Pike to up the travel to 160mm, but honestly this is a want for the sake of wanting, the bike is rad the way it is. I haven't ever felt like the bike is holding me back.

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated!!!

Have you taken your 2017 Jeffsy Al one 27 to bike parks at all like Bailey or Beech or even windrock? I come from riding a hardtail and that is all about picking lines and being light on the bike while descending so I think I like that playful feel of the Jeffsy over the plow through capabilities of the capra. It seems like the Jeffsy does amazing in Pisgah even the real gnarly stuff, but I am scared to beat it up at a bike park. I like to hit jumps but nothing huge (yet) so the capra would be nice to allow to improve and push myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jasec79 View Post

Do you plan to ride Charlotte area trails as well? They are more XC-ish but the trail system here is actually pretty good. Pisgah and DuPont are both about a 2 hour drive from Charlotte.

Ya! I saw stuff like sherman branch and WWC that would be great for my "aggressive trail hardtail" and even stuff like the BYT which is real close to where I will be moving. I feel like i could even get away with the hardtail at some of duponts flow trails. I am super excited to move to Charlotte!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by KJD95 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated!!!

Have you taken your 2017 Jeffsy Al one 27 to bike parks at all like Bailey or Beech or even windrock? I come from riding a hardtail and that is all about picking lines and being light on the bike while descending so I think I like that playful feel of the Jeffsy over the plow through capabilities of the capra. It seems like the Jeffsy does amazing in Pisgah even the real gnarly stuff, but I am scared to beat it up at a bike park. I like to hit jumps but nothing huge (yet) so the capra would be nice to allow to improve and push myself.
    Not yet, but I am planning on hitting Bailey somewhat regularly this Spring/Summer and will likely venture further afield too.

I'm sure that the Capra will be a better park bike, so it's really up to you - where are you realistically going to ride more often? Want to mostly ride park, get the Capra 27, want to ride mostly aggressive trail, get the Jeffsy 27, want to split your time 50/50? get the Capra 29. IMO...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/.../sCategory/511

yea Sugar_Brad pretty sure they r in stock on their website

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbeh View Post
    Not yet, but I am planning on hitting Bailey somewhat regularly this Spring/Summer and will likely venture further afield too.

I'm sure that the Capra will be a better park bike, so it's really up to you - where are you realistically going to ride more often? Want to mostly ride park, get the Capra 27, want to ride mostly aggressive trail, get the Jeffsy 27, want to split your time 50/50? get the Capra 29. IMO...
    Yea I will definitely be doing mostly trail riding in pisgah/ dupont 70-80% and bike parks maybe 20-30%, so I am leaning torward the Jeffsy 27. I was thinking of making the fork 160mm to give it a little more, but I have never been to baileys or beech. In your opinion, unless im sending massive jumps, do you think the jeffsy will do well at those bike parks?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Run Cushcores at bike parks at least.
    Cushcore for everything. It has been a complete game changer for me riding in Pisgah and surrounding full time. I've got it rear only with no plans for putting in the front. Can say for certain that pending some huge change in wheels/tires, I will never own a bike without Cushcore (rear) again. Incredible.

mtbr member
    No bottle on the Capra... Thats a Deal breaker...

If you are only riding park 20% of the time or less then I wold go Jeffsy but build it burly. Maybe over fork it slightly and run a nice burly coil shock like the DBCoil CS so that you have the climbing platform. I prefer to ride "under biked" and a Jeffsy275 with 160mm fork and coil shock would be plenty for the few days you spend at the park... A but more nimble and "flickable" than the Capra and it would rule on long mountain rides in the backcountry.

Or... if you plan on riding the hardtail in the mountains more then get the Capra for park and shorter mountain days. I ride a hardtail all over Pisgah, etc and had a Norco Range for days I wanted to get a little more rowdy or for park days.

To me not having a bottle on the bike is a major deal breaker. Wearing a backpack SUCKS and I refuse to do it. Never AGAIN!
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    No bottle on the Capra... Thats a Deal breaker...

If you are only riding park 20% of the time or less then I wold go Jeffsy but build it burly. Maybe over fork it slightly and run a nice burly coil shock like the DBCoil CS so that you have the climbing platform. I prefer to ride "under biked" and a Jeffsy275 with 160mm fork and coil shock would be plenty for the few days you spend at the park... A but more nimble and "flickable" than the Capra and it would rule on long mountain rides in the backcountry.

Or... if you plan on riding the hardtail in the mountains more then get the Capra for park and shorter mountain days. I ride a hardtail all over Pisgah, etc and had a Norco Range for days I wanted to get a little more rowdy or for park days.

To me not having a bottle on the bike is a major deal breaker. Wearing a backpack SUCKS and I refuse to do it. Never AGAIN!
    ''

The biggest thing is that I have never ridden the trails down in WNC and I have only been to a small bike park a few times. My hardtail is great, i can rip it down some double blacks at Carvins Cove in Roanoke VA (which i highly highly recommend if in the area).

I guess what I am saying is that I don't think that I will be able to tell a big difference between the two bikes, and if I beef up that jeffsy then its a nice middle ground. Coming from a hardtail im used to feeling "under biked" and the jeffsy will be more playful than the capra.

Thanks for the reply! And I always use a camleback haha im just used to it by now, maybe if i ride with it off ill realize how amazing it is, but I need my water!

And i wanna get a YT before theyre gone!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    ''

The biggest thing is that I have never ridden the trails down in WNC and I have only been to a small bike park a few times. My hardtail is great, i can rip it down some double blacks at Carvins Cove in Roanoke VA (which i highly highly recommend if in the area).

I guess what I am saying is that I don't think that I will be able to tell a big difference between the two bikes, and if I beef up that jeffsy then its a nice middle ground. Coming from a hardtail im used to feeling "under biked" and the jeffsy will be more playful than the capra.

Thanks for the reply! And I always use a camleback haha im just used to it by now, maybe if i ride with it off ill realize how amazing it is, but I need my water!

And i wanna get a YT before theyre gone!
    Ok, Iím officially changing my rec to the 27.5 Jeffsy. Ha. Just put a dbcoil and 160 fork on it.

+1 on the camelbak. So much easier in my opinion plus I need a lot more water/nutrition than the little bottle can hold.

mtbr member
    You can ride Pisgah on a shorter travel bike and have a great time. The Jeffsy is a good choice. If the bike park is not going to be a regular thing then maybe rent a DH bike to get the full potential out of your park day. They are much more capable in the park rock gardens run after run.
    Keeping it Real Since 1971!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by vpc-los View Post
    You can ride Pisgah on a shorter travel bike and have a great time. The Jeffsy is a good choice. If the bike park is not going to be a regular thing then maybe rent a DH bike to get the full potential out of your park day. They are much more capable in the park rock gardens run after run.
    Agreed.

As I said, I haven't ridden the Jeffsy yet at any of the local bike parks, but I think it would be alright on the tamer/flow style trails, but I think it would struggle on any real DH chunk, but then again, so would pretty much anything else short of a true DH bike.

Get the Jeffsy, beef it up and occasionally rent a full DH bike when you want to get real rowdy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Cushcore for everything. It has been a complete game changer for me riding in Pisgah and surrounding full time. I've got it rear only with no plans for putting in the front. Can say for certain that pending some huge change in wheels/tires, I will never own a bike without Cushcore (rear) again. Incredible.
    I'm running front and back on my trail and DH bike. Could probably get away with just rear but I like the sidewall support.

mtbr member
    All the bike parks mentioned have demo/rental DH bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks guys, I think im gonna go with the Jeffsy 27 and bump the fork to 160mm and def interested in some cush core after watching Phil Kmetz videos where he goes over a rock garden with 9 psi lol.

The fork for the Jeffsy 27 Al (the lowest end) is a Fox Float Rhythm 34 and I called fox today to see if the fork was able to move to 160mm and he said he is pretty sure but not 100% sure because he needs the serial number. So ya I hope it works haha

And for the DBcoil, that thing looks sweet but might be little out of my price range since im still poor (graduating undergrad this spring got a job in Charlotte). Unless I can sell the fox coil that comes stock, but either way coming from a hardtail im just happy to have something back there haha

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks guys, I think im gonna go with the Jeffsy 27 and bump the fork to 160mm and def interested in some cush core after watching Phil Kmetz videos where he goes over a rock garden with 9 psi lol.

The fork for the Jeffsy 27 Al (the lowest end) is a Fox Float Rhythm 34 and I called fox today to see if the fork was able to move to 160mm and he said he is pretty sure but not 100% sure because he needs the serial number. So ya I hope it works haha

And for the DBcoil, that thing looks sweet but might be little out of my price range since im still poor (graduating undergrad this spring got a job in Charlotte). Unless I can sell the fox coil that comes stock, but either way coming from a hardtail im just happy to have something back there haha
    Sounds like a good plan! Donít forget to ride it stock you might like it just how it is