Yet another trip planning thread...Pisgah and Wilkesboro- Mtbr.com
    Death Mud
    Feb 2011

Yet another trip planning thread...Pisgah and Wilkesboro

I'm trying to get some last minute planning together for a week-ish long campaigning + riding solo trip to NC, and hoping to get some suggestions. I'm changing jobs and have a week in between somewhat suddenly, so this is coming together last minute. I'm debating on whether to take my 27.5+ hardtail (Cannondale Beast of the East) or DS trail bike (Trigger). Leaning towards the Trigger, but I'm not one to spend time launching off drops, so considering the hardtail, too. I'll be driving from Ohio, so the plan is to spend a couple of days camping/riding in Wilkesboro, then heading to Asheville for a few days, maybe spending a night in downtown proper. I'll have a hammock tent with me, so maybe considering doing an overnighter backpacking trip somewhere in there, if I can squeeze one in. Still working on where to around Asheville, but Bent Creek and Dupont look good (well, it all looks good, really!).

Big Mac
    Either bike is fine, but I'd go for the Trigger, but I'm old and beat up. Lots of hard tails around. A lot of it depends on where you ride. Bring them both. No camping is allowed in Bent Creek, outside of the FS campground, nor is it allowed in DuPont. Pisgah is where you want to look.

mtbr member
    Either bike is fine... choose the one you enjoy riding the most.

Im not sure where the notion of "you have to have X bike to ride X trail" but its all fun on whatever you ride. There is nothing in NC that you cant do on a HT short of lift serviced stuff... and even that you can if you want to.

Pisgah, N. Wilkesboro, Wilson, Dupont, etc. are all great on whatever you ride.

As far as staying in AVL... there are cheap-ish hostels and air BnBs. I would recommend that. If you want to ride from camp, its hard to beat Lake Powhatan in Bent Creek. You can ride all of BC (30ish miles of trail) and slip over the gap into Pisgah Proper.

There are several campgrounds around Dupont and N. Wilkesboro as well.
    On your left!

Death Mud
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Either bike is fine... choose the one you enjoy riding the most.

Im not sure where the notion of "you have to have X bike to ride X trail" but its all fun on whatever you ride. There is nothing in NC that you cant do on a HT short of lift serviced stuff... and even that you can if you want to.
    Yep, agreed. It's not a matter of being able to ride with only a certain type of bike, but more a question of "What will be more fun, and less painful?" The Trigger will be gentler on my 45 year-old bones, but the BOTE is a still a blast, and doesn't have a proprietary suspension system to fix, should it become an issue.

A lot of it depends on where you ride. Bring them both.
    Hmm...maybe I can have it all! .
    No camping is allowed in Bent Creek, outside of the FS campground, nor is it allowed in DuPont. Pisgah is where you want to look
    Thanks for the heads up, good to know!

Pisgah, N. Wilkesboro, Wilson, Dupont, etc. are all great on whatever you ride.

As far as staying in AVL... there are cheap-ish hostels and air BnBs. I would recommend that. If you want to ride from camp, its hard to beat Lake Powhatan in Bent Creek. You can ride all of BC (30ish miles of trail) and slip over the gap into Pisgah Proper.

There are several campgrounds around Dupont and N. Wilkesboro as well.
    Thanks for the suggestions! Definitely planning on camping around Wilkesboro. I'm thinking of heading down Fri or Sat, camping in Wilkseboro, and then heading towards Asheville, where the camping is hopefully less crowded during the week.