Women's MTB Skills Clinic - DuPont April 18th, 2009- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 42 of 42
  1. #1
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Reputation: brado1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,326

    Women's MTB Skills Clinic - DuPont April 18th, 2009

    Women's MTB Skills Clinic - DuPont State Forest, Guion Farm, Sky Valley Rd. April 18th, 2009 8AM - 4:30PM




    Saturday, April 18th
    Registration/Check-in 8am
    Clinic 9am - 4pm
    starting drills on the open field, followed by skills on the wooden "kids area", then trail rides
    Bring your own lunch!
    Post clinic yoga - stretch out 4:30pm - bring your own mat

    Registration/RSVP Details on our Site


    (this event is capped at 40 Riders)

    so Register/RSVP Today!


    Thanks again to all of our wonderful sponsors for helping out even when times are tough!

    Major Healing Vibes going out to Cissy who is one of our instructors, she crashed hard coming down Burnt Mountain on Sunday and i think today was her surgery to repair her broken arm. Get well Soon Cissy!

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/brado1/3400889106/" title="DSC_0479 by brado1, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3555/3400889106_120a1ae9cd.jpg" width="500" height="335" alt="DSC_0479" /></a>



    .

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    189
    hey, im not trying to hyjack here... but is there going to be one for the boys?

  3. #3
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Reputation: brado1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,326
    Quote Originally Posted by f00lzBurden
    hey, im not trying to hyjack here... but is there going to be one for the boys?

    well that depends, we're lucky that we've got a core group of female volunteers that have stepped up to make the Women's Ride clinics & Ride Group happen. What's it gonna take to get a guys or even a coed clinic? someone or a couple of somebodies to step up and help organize it... Our group is nearly a hundred members and still there are only 4 or 5 folks who take the initiative to help organize something.

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    373
    Brado,

    My wife wants to rsvp for this, but the link to the email doesn't seem to work. I clicked on it and it puts a bunch of code in as the email and my email server won't send it. What do I do?

    BTW, this is the same weekend as PAS's DuPont Camp/Work/Ride. I think it'll be a cool weekend, we'll come down Saturday morning, she'll go to the clinic and have fun at that and I'll dig and have fun with that and then we'll camp that night and ride sunday. Perfect!

    ~Shaun

  5. #5
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Reputation: brado1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,326
    Quote Originally Posted by FeloniousDunk
    Brado,

    My wife wants to rsvp for this, but the link to the email doesn't seem to work. I clicked on it and it puts a bunch of code in as the email and my email server won't send it. What do I do?

    BTW, this is the same weekend as PAS's DuPont Camp/Work/Ride. I think it'll be a cool weekend, we'll come down Saturday morning, she'll go to the clinic and have fun at that and I'll dig and have fun with that and then we'll camp that night and ride sunday. Perfect!

    ~Shaun
    Yes Woody has a tendency of schedulin' things when others have things scheduled

    Email Liz all contact info [email protected]
    thanks for the headsup on the linkage problem
    i'll try to figure that out

  6. #6
    That's damn yankee to you
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    363
    I sent an e-mail since the link wouldn't work but I haven't heard anything back. I don't want to miss out on this! Will we get a confirmation?

  7. #7
    consistent default champ
    Reputation: brownieinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    747
    Same weekend as the Harbison race. Race or ride for fun...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,417
    [QUOTE=brado1]"Yes Woody has a tendency of schedulin' things when others have things scheduled"

    I schedule DSF-SORBA workdays and camp outs based on one thing and one thing only: when I am in town and we can get the barn for camping.

    Pretty simple, I can't lead a work project in DuPont if I am in Louisville KY (or where-ever) doing paid TD work. I don't have a clue (or free time to explore) what other mountain bike events are going on in NC and surrounding states. Trail consulting and construction has me and many other TD staff traveling quite a bit to find available work. For instance, there will be a week this month that has TD staff in 3 different states: KY, NY, VA. Back before the economy tanked, we were much closer to home most of the time doing a lot of gated community trail system work. Times have changed and we have to change with them.

    I think it is kind of cool that we are having 2 SORBA related events on the same day. Maybe the girls will ride over at some point and cheer us trail workers on.

    Woody

  9. #9
    pronounced may-duh
    Reputation: Maida7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    "Yes Woody has a tendency of schedulin' things when others have things scheduled"
    I schedule DSF-SORBA workdays and camp outs based on one thing and one thing only: when I am in town and we can get the barn for camping.

    Pretty simple, I can't lead a work project in DuPont if I am in Louisville KY (or where-ever) doing paid TD work. I don't have a clue (or free time to explore) what other mountain bike events are going on in NC and surrounding states. Trail consulting and construction has me and many other TD staff traveling quite a bit to find available work. For instance, there will be a week this month that has TD staff in 3 different states: KY, NY, VA. Back before the economy tanked, we were much closer to home most of the time doing a lot of gated community trail system work. Times have changed and we have to change with them.

    I think it is kind of cool that we are having 2 SORBA related events on the same day. Maybe the girls will ride over at some point and cheer us trail workers on.

    Woody
    There is so much going on in the southeast that there are no free weekend. Schedule conflicts are to be expected. It's not really a bad thing as everybody has lots of choices.
    Last edited by Maida7; 04-07-2009 at 07:56 AM.

  10. #10
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Reputation: brado1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,326
    Chill Woody, i know sometimes you're incapable of humor , but chill



    I'm fuggin' withya

  11. #11
    consistent default champ
    Reputation: brownieinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    747
    Did you post this in the Women's Lounge also? Just curious ~ I didn't see it there

  12. #12
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Reputation: brado1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,326
    Quote Originally Posted by brownieinSC
    Did you post this in the Women's Lounge also? Just curious ~ I didn't see it there

    i didn't, i try to stay outta the womens lounge, too much trouble when i'm in the women's lounge, i tend to come off as creepy

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 4000psi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    well that depends, we're lucky that we've got a core group of female volunteers that have stepped up to make the Women's Ride clinics & Ride Group happen. What's it gonna take to get a guys or even a coed clinic? someone or a couple of somebodies to step up and help organize it... Our group is nearly a hundred members and still there are only 4 or 5 folks who take the initiative to help organize something.

    I guess the answer to a male clinic is a big fat NO!!!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: litespeedchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,096
    They don't like me much in the women's lounge either!

    I'm wondering if the people who were trying to register got taken care of. ??

  15. #15
    That's damn yankee to you
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    363

    Ummmm so.....

    Any word on this clinic? I sent an e-mail a week ago last thursday because the sign up button wasn't working and I haven't heard anything yay or nay or if I got in or what? I'm real excited so I hope everything is happening like it should.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,417
    Any chance for same day registration? I think JoJo would like to come, or I might make her go instead of doing trail work. She hates to miss out on the trail project that day, but I think she would really enjoy the women's clinic.

    W.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bouncybouncy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    141
    email Liz (her email is on the event page...(eamcnamara01 at yahoo dot com )...

    I just did and got an immediate response. I did the clinic at Paris Mtn...very well run and lots of fun

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncybouncy
    email Liz (her email is on the event page...(eamcnamara01 at yahoo dot com )...

    I just did and got an immediate response. I did the clinic at Paris Mtn...very well run and lots of fun
    Done and did get a quick response, thanks.

    Woody

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: litespeedchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,096
    I'm shamelessly topping this thread because we still have plenty of spaces left as of yesterday when I talked to Liz. I'm giving up a Saturday in Pisgah w/ my husband so I can help instruct, and want to see LOTS of chicks out there enjoying themselves!

    One of our instructors is a former BMX national champ, so I'm hoping to learn a few things myself.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bouncybouncy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    141
    Come on guys!!!! This is a great opportunity to get your better halves out there in the dirt in a non-intimidating environment!!! We get to work on skills while you work on the trails

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=505886

    This is great for any level...I participated in the Paris Mtn clinic and had a blast!!!

  21. #21
    That's damn yankee to you
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    363
    Ha! You think showing off your lack of skillz in front of 40 women isn't intimidating......????

    Not that I'm not going to have tons of fun and hopefully learn a lot.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,277
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    I'm shamelessly topping this thread because we still have plenty of spaces left as of yesterday when I talked to Liz. I'm giving up a Saturday in Pisgah w/ my husband so I can help instruct, and want to see LOTS of chicks out there enjoying themselves!

    One of our instructors is a former BMX national champ, so I'm hoping to learn a few things myself.
    I was able to convince my S/O to come out for the skillz day!!

    She was worried about the clinic as she is slightly intimated by all things bike but I told her not to worry that everyone was going to be super cool and supportive. It will be her first time ever to use clipless as well so she will be looking for some guidance there, looks like great weather.

    Thanks for those who are volunteering their time, I will be sweating to the oldies. . . oops I mean sweating to the Woody
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    I was able to convince my S/O to come out for the skillz day!!

    She was worried about the clinic as she is slightly intimated by all things bike but I told her not to worry that everyone was going to be super cool and supportive. It will be her first time ever to use clipless as well so she will be looking for some guidance there, looks like great weather.

    Thanks for those who are volunteering their time, I will be sweating to the oldies. . . oops I mean sweating to the Woody

    Mater,

    It will be great to have you as always. You up (or is it down) for some rock armoring work on Sat? We will be doing a re-lo (so building some new trail), trail closure of old fall line trail, and some rock armor work. I was thinking of putting you in charge (as scary as that may seem) of the rock armor work.

    W.

  24. #24
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,611
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    I was able to convince my S/O to come out for the skillz day!!

    She was worried about the clinic as she is slightly intimated by all things bike but I told her not to worry that everyone was going to be super cool and supportive. It will be her first time ever to use clipless as well so she will be looking for some guidance there, looks like great weather.

    Thanks for those who are volunteering their time, I will be sweating to the oldies. . . oops I mean sweating to the Woody
    Heh, heh! You said sweating to the Woody.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman
    Mater,

    It will be great to have you as always. You up (or is it down) for some rock armoring work on Sat? We will be doing a re-lo (so building some new trail), trail closure of old fall line trail, and some rock armor work. I was thinking of putting you in charge (as scary as that may seem) of the rock armor work.

    W.
    THREAD HIJACK ALERT!!!

    I guess I will buy some new work gloves. . . for some reason my work gloves are always ruined after a Dupont work day. . .

    I am down for whatever work is assigned to me just as long as I have some grunts to help me build the pyramids.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bouncybouncy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    141
    Leave it to a MTBR thread to take a Women's MTBike Clinic to comments about wood....



  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: litespeedchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,096
    Yea! My name's Danna, tell her to look for me, but i will totally deny anything cocky or inflamatory that I may have said on these boards. We plan to start the day doing some obstacles in a grassy field, so that will be a good place for her to have her mandatory 11 falls it takes to get used to clipless.

    I'm not the most touchy-feely person on the planet, but I SWEAR, I get so much enjoyment and sense of accomplishment from doing the few WOW beginner roadie rides and seminars that i've done over the last few years. The ladies are always so grateful and receptive to advice it makes me humble. it's also taught me that every female is not as thick-skinned as I am, and I understand the whole business about women being indimitated in sports situations better now.

    We'll be totally supportive and non-judgemental. And if any beginners in rat-traps and blue jeans show up and make me look slow and uncoordinated...I hope they'll be non-judgemental , too!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,277
    Cool, I think she is looking forward to it, I will pass the word along.

    She won't be hard to spot as she will be riding a tomato red rigid 29' Raleigh. And if you can imagine this, she bought it not me!! Hard to believe I know.

    Thanks again for all the volunteers and info!
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,417
    Danna,

    I am assuming you know that there is a sills area at DuPont full of some fun wood features ranging from easy to pretty difficult? Design and built by Trail Dynamics. Bring the mobile stuff you speak of also, just want to make sure you knew there was already some stuff there (you did not have that option last year at Paris Mtn).

    Hope you ladies have a great clinic. I am trying to get my wife JoJo to join you but with the work project going on and cat duties (we have a special needs cat) we have a lot going on.

    Woody- Trail Dynamics

  30. #30
    Official Cooler Inspector
    Reputation: M-U-M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,652
    "...I will totally deny anything cocky or inflammatory that I may have said on these boards"

    HA! I knew Hubby was stealing your log-in! So nice of you to protect him.



    The skills area Woody mentioned is great!
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: litespeedchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,096
    no, actually, i almost never ride DuPont, and when I do, we always start at Corn Mills Shoals and go up big rock...and I have no idea from there. So when I ask you where the skills area is...keep that in mind. Which way would you go from Giuon Farms to get to some natural technical stuff? creek crossings, downed trees, rooty things, steep ups and downs etc.

    Was that you we met at the Ranger Station a couple of weeks back? Getting ready to go to Horse Cove?

    Sorry about your cat.

    MUM, thanks for the excuse...I never thought of that...but it's perfect!

  32. #32
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Reputation: brado1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,326
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    So when I ask you where the skills area is...keep that in mind. Which way would you go from Giuon Farms to get to some natural technical stuff? creek crossings, downed trees, rooty things, steep ups and downs etc.
    The Skills area is just adjacent to the field that is there at Guion Farm not too far from where we'll be setting our stuff up.

    Ridgeline trail and Jim Branch would be a good set of trails to hit, fast and flowy for more experienced riders, but a great trails for the novice rider too.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,417
    The skills area is located right at the Guion Farm area. It is contained within the Kids Mountain Bike Loop. Some easy stuff including a teeter/totter and a few easy wood features, but also a a few skinnies and a really cool ride it as you want multi option skinny boardwalk structure forming a loop. Mum knows where all this is, you can't really miss it. Again, please feel free to bring any temp props you have, but there is some really good stuff at the skills area that you will want to use in your clinic. I hope this goes well with lots of ladies.

    No, don't think that was me you met at the ranger station heading up to horse cove.

    Pumpkin is doing fine, but she is part blind. We will have her with us for the camp out, she has become a bit of an RV cat this year. She even likes to go on walks and when in FL back in Feb. she did a could of walks on a leash that were 2 miles long.

    Woody

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,417
    Women coming to the Upstate SORBA Women's Skill Clinic are welcome to join us for camping on Fri. and Sat. nights. This is the work crew camping (some of us) and you ladies are welcome to join in. I know several couples coming and the ladies are joining the skills clinic and the men are doing trail work.

    Details here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=505886

    I am out the door now, lots of prep work to do for the work project.

    Woody

  35. #35
    pronounced may-duh
    Reputation: Maida7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,306
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    The Skills area is just adjacent to the field that is there at Guion Farm not too far from where we'll be setting our stuff up.

    Ridgeline trail and Jim Branch would be a good set of trails to hit, fast and flowy for more experienced riders, but a great trails for the novice rider too.
    If you want rocky technical and a creek crossing head over to Grassy Creek Trail.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    If you want rocky technical and a creek crossing head over to Grassy Creek Trail.
    Also known as an environmental night mare, dumping tons of sediment into Grassy Creek. Needs a re-location badly.

    W>

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TrailZen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    418
    Ah, Man, why do you want to sanitize everything???!!! What's a little sand and silt on top of the horse poo in the creek? Some people like trying to drop or climb a pile of rolling baby heads!
    TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: litespeedchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,096
    i hope your wife had a decent time on Saturday. I feel so bad she got a little beat up. She definitely had her share of obstacles, with the new pedals and then the loose cranks. It's tragic about that paint ding ;-(

    It was nice meeting her...she's tough, please say hi for me.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,277
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    i hope your wife had a decent time on Saturday. I feel so bad she got a little beat up. She definitely had her share of obstacles, with the new pedals and then the loose cranks. It's tragic about that paint ding ;-(

    It was nice meeting her...she's tough, please say hi for me.

    She had a great time!! I was a little nervous when she pedaled off into the distance with her newfound cliplesness. (after practicing for 5 miniutes at the barn) She was baptized with fire and I am sure she will be stronger because of it

    Thanks again.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  40. #40
    That's damn yankee to you
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    363

    Thanks!

    Thanks to everyone who put this on--the instructors, the photographer, the organizers (and whoever made those super good oatmeal cookies). I had another great time and hopefully will be able to use everything I learned to further improve my skills.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: litespeedchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,096
    Liz is responsible for the crack cookies. I can't wait to see the pics from the "real" photographer, but here's one pre-clinic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bouncybouncy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    141
    Thank you Ladies for another great skills clinic!!!

    A little video I put together of one of our club members...check it out on our website!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.