WNC trail advice needed, special request- Mtbr.com
    Praise Bob

WNC trail advice needed, special request

My wife and I are going to be in Hendersonville/Asheville area of western NC and need some advice on picking appropriate trails. Unfortunately my wife is still healing from a broken ankle and extended climbs or hike-a-bikes aggravate it and could possibly re-injure it. We are used to technical terrain, are fit and have been in the area before, but considering the circumstances I need some honest advice.

We've ridden Black Mountain once and Dupont twice and they were a total blast. Considering her injury black mtn is out, Dupont would be OK but I dont want to ride the same trail network three times when there is so much else out there.

I am worried that all the stuff in Pisgah will be too similar to Black Mtn, so I need advice at picking trails that are more like Dupont as far as effort. Downhills are fine, it's the climbs that suck. Maybe Bent Creek? I've never been to Tsali but that might be too tame and too far from where we are staying.

Lastly, we are spending a few days over in Hickory. Any similar suggestions for that area?

Thanks!

pronounced may-duh
    Bent Creek is hike a bike free but depending on what trail you take has some good climbs.

There are several trails out of the Trace Ridge trailhead in Pisgah that do not require hike a bike.

There are several shorter Pisgah loops that don't require a hike a bike. All require climbing.
    Cove Creek
    Sycamore Cove
    Grassy Road to Black mtn
    etc...

Check the Pisgah SORBA site for more info LINK

Praise Bob

Thanks!

Thats the kind if info I was looking for. BTW does anyone know if the conservation road connector in DuPont is open? I was looking at the map and realized we've only ridden the west side of DuPont (Burnt Mtn, Cedar Rock corn mill shoals). It would be awesome to be able to cross over to the east side by lake julia via conservation rd.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus Rex
    Thats the kind if info I was looking for. BTW does anyone know if the conservation road connector in DuPont is open? I was looking at the map and realized we've only ridden the west side of DuPont (Burnt Mtn, Cedar Rock corn mill shoals). It would be awesome to be able to cross over to the east side by lake julia via conservation rd.
    Yes

Members who have read this thread: 0