WNC Hardtails- Mtbr.com

Thread: WNC Hardtails

mtbr member
    May 2013

WNC Hardtails

Hey gang I am in the market for a "backup" 29er hardtail apprx $1600 or so.

My main ride is a SC Tallboy C (2015) which I love as it is a good climber and pretty capable downhiller in most pisgah trails. A bit much for Dupont but still pretty fun.

I like the idea of a fun and fast hardtail for dupont riding, gravel miles, and sometimes more technical pisgah stuff (frequency of use in that order).

What do you hardtail guys like around WNC? A few I am considering:

a. SC Highball C with 120mm fork: light/fast climber. I already have a used fork and wheelset to start a build. Pisgah capable?
    b. SC Chameleon: good all 'rounder
    c. Kona Honzo AL: good all 'rounder

since 4/10/2009
    I'll be following this one. I've been eyeing bikes like the Chameleon, but mostly steel bikes, especially those that can take 29er or 27.5+ wheels. Stuff like the Nimble 9 boost, Advocate Hayduke, and Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead. But that was before moving to WNC. Now I'm not sure.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I'll be following this one. I've been eyeing bikes like the Chameleon, but mostly steel bikes, especially those that can take 29er or 27.5+ wheels. Stuff like the Nimble 9 boost, Advocate Hayduke, and Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead. But that was before moving to WNC. Now I'm not sure.
    I like 29ers personally and don't really have interest in the 27.5+ options. I test rode a 27.5+ Chameleon and it just wasn't for me. I haven't tried a 29er version or a Kona Honzo yet but hope to soon.

Did you see the Honzo ST? Might be an option for you to consider. I wan't to keep a bit more on the lighter side 'cause I'm 44 and need the help going up

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Honzo would be sweet. 29" wheels, Process geometry. nice. There's also the Big Honzo if you like 27.5+

since 4/10/2009
    I am aware of the Honzo ST. Kona's website doesn't say anything about 27.5+ tire clearance though. I figure the newer boosted ones probably do, but I want some confirmation on WHAT would fit.

I'm actually not even 100% certain that I'd build the bike up as 27.5+, since I have a Salsa Bucksaw with some pretty chubby rubber as it is. I just want the bike to have the room to do so if I choose. I am leaning more heavily towards steel bikes, though.

I test rode a 27.5+ Chameleon at The Hub earlier this spring, and considering it was a bit big, I still enjoyed the bike. I am a fan in general of bikes with fatter rubber, which is why I want at least the ability to go 27.5+. The 29+ bikes I've tried have been too much for me, but I'd be tempted to try out some 29ers with the newer 2.6 tires. That might work for me.

And yeah, I've been thinking if I stayed with the hardtail line of thought, that the bike would be more of a Dupont and bikepacking bike and the Bucksaw would come out for Pisgah days. But I've also considered a longer travel FS for Pisgah days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I am aware of the Honzo ST. Kona's website doesn't say anything about 27.5+ tire clearance though. I figure the newer boosted ones probably do, but I want some confirmation on WHAT would fit.
    Check out the Big Honzo, specifically designed for the plus tires. Loads more info about frame differences, etc.

http://dirtragmag.com/first-ride-kona-big-honzo-dl/

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have an NS eccentric for Bent Creek and DuPont. Mine is 27.5 but the new model is a 29r.

WNC Native
    Stuff like the Nimble 9 boost, Advocate Hayduke, and Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead.
    Your on the right track IMO, especially if you want to use the hardtail in Pisgah any. I've ran 2 Souls QH, Honzo, Yelli Screamy, and my ByStickel here. Enjoyed all of those in both places.

I'm back on my ByStickel now with 29x2.6 on the rear and 29x3 up front.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    44bikes.com

Enough said.
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Your on the right track IMO, especially if you want to use the hardtail in Pisgah any. I've ran 2 Souls QH, Honzo, Yelli Screamy, and my ByStickel here. Enjoyed all of those in both places.

Is ByStickel around anymore? I tried looking them up, and saw that it's a local builder...but the website doesn't seem to exist anymore. I see there's a Facebook page, but no info on what he builds.

Quote Originally Posted by "CHIEF" View Post
    44bikes.com

Enough said.
    Looks sweet. But I dunno if that level of custom is in the cards for me just yet.

WNC Native
    Is ByStickel around anymore? I tried looking them up, and saw that it's a local builder...but the website doesn't seem to exist anymore. I see there's a Facebook page, but no info on what he builds.
    Steve moved back up north a year or two ago, to be back closer to his parents. He currently doesn't have a shop setup and isn't building frames.

Definitely couldn't go wrong with Kris at 44 either, if you have that budget for this bike.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Check out the Big Honzo, specifically designed for the plus tires. Loads more info about frame differences, etc.

First Ride: Kona Big Honzo DL – Dirt Rag

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammertime View Post
    Honzo would be sweet. 29" wheels, Process geometry. nice. There's also the Big Honzo if you like 27.5+
    This!
    I've got a. 2016 Honzo Al/dl 29 er 2.3 maxis dhf in the back 2.3 Magic Mary front.
    The 17 model has mo room in the back for. Wider tires.
    I've got a. Big Honzo. The 2.8 tires just stick.
    It's almost like cheating.
    Check out the bicepacking. Big. Honzo review.
    My strata times are close the. 29 er is quicker in flowey stuff, when the going gets tough the Big Honzo is the ticket..

MTBR Member
    Yelli Screamy
    For a build on a budget, the Yelli is only $420 new on closeout. Worth every penny.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    For a build on a budget, the Yelli is only $420 new on closeout. Worth every penny.
    Agreed, considerably more tire clearance than the AL Honzo too (minus the Big Honzo).

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Last time I checked the yelli was out of stock in large size

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabob View Post
    Last time I checked the yelli was out of stock in large size
    Correct, only SM and MD in the Yelli.

And He was Not

What 2.6 are you using
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I am checking out a Honzo tomorrow, hopefully I will dig it but not sure. The "modern" geometry thing throws me a bit. Also I am 6'1" and always between a L and XL when looking at bikes.

The L santa cruz chameleon was cramped and the XL was way to big. Hoping the Honzo options are a better fit.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    What 2.6 are you using
    29 x 2.6 Nobby Nic

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Piney Mountain Bike Lounge has yelli frames on sale for 420 bucks in Greenville SC

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Epic in Black Mountain has an '18 Honzo. I didn't catch the size. They're good people over there.