WNC bike, hike and ski trail status - and adventure ideas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

WNC bike, hike and ski trail status - and adventure ideas

I've been itching to take a trip to WNC. Was hoping to snowboard Sugar and bike Warrior Creek on the way back. But with all the rain, seems like everything bike-able has been closed for a while.

And with the warmth and rain, I'm also wondering how conditions are on the ski slopes. I love snowboarding but grew up on bigger mountains so would at least like half decent snow if I do a snowboard trip out.

Also, instead on mountain biking, I'd be willing to hike say Grandfather Mountain, but I'm sure even that is sloppy now.

Anyway, just looking for some ideas and overall status for things out there.

mtbr member
    I work at both Sugar and Beech. Both mountains received about 3" of rain. Both mountains were able to take advantage of the last cold front so there is plenty of snow to slide around on. It will be wet heavy spring conditions until next week. Our high speed lift at Beech is currently non functioning for the foreseeable future. The upper terrain is a ten minute lift ride accessible via lift 6. Sugar has a high speed 6 person lift that usually runs about 500 ft per minute and is approximately a 6 minute lift ride. Check both trail reports before you go. If you want the most bang for your buck avoid weekends and holidays, especially President's Weekend.

As far as riding goes Warrior Creek is mostly clay and doesn't handle freeze/thaw very well. This winter has been hard on trails so make sure to check conditions before you go.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    I work at both Sugar and Beech. Both mountains received about 3" of rain. Both mountains were able to take advantage of the last cold front so there is plenty of snow to slide around on. It will be wet heavy spring conditions until next week. Our high speed lift at Beech is currently non functioning for the foreseeable future. The upper terrain is a ten minute lift ride accessible via lift 6. Sugar has a high speed 6 person lift that usually runs about 500 ft per minute and is approximately a 6 minute lift ride. Check both trail reports before you go. If you want the most bang for your buck avoid weekends and holidays, especially President's Weekend.

As far as riding goes Warrior Creek is mostly clay and doesn't handle freeze/thaw very well. This winter has been hard on trails so make sure to check conditions before you go.
    Perfect, thanks.
    How are crowds during weekday nights, including Friday? I'm a fan of trying to put down as many runs as possible in 6 or so hours and hating waiting in long lines or crowded slopes.

I've been to Beech a couple times, so figure I'll try Sugar, especially since it's a bit closer to me and has the high speed lift.

I'll likely either leave my bike at home and just do a day trip or do an overnight and camp near by (or stay at a buddy's rental place) and then hike Grandfather mountain the following day.

mtbr member
    Crowds during the week are very light. Sugar only has intermediate and beginner terrain open at night.

I was a ranger at Grandfather for four years so if you need route suggestions let me know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Also, instead on mountain biking, I'd be willing to hike say Grandfather Mountain, but I'm sure even that is sloppy now.
    I just read the parkway around Grandfather will be closed for 3 months starting March 1.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    I just read the parkway around Grandfather will be closed for 3 months starting March 1.
    Yeah the Viaduct is in need of some love... You can park on 221 at the Asutsi trailhead. It connects near the trailhead for Boone Fork.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Crowds during the week are very light. Sugar only has intermediate and beginner terrain open at night.

I was a ranger at Grandfather for four years so if you need route suggestions let me know.
    Cool, that's what I was hoping for and good to know about night skiing.

For Grandfather, I've started at Boone Fork Parking and gone to Calloway Gap and back. I've also done from the bridge to Calloway Gap, Grandfather View and back. I really like that hike with the fun stuff and nice views around Attic Window Peak, but would rather not pay the $20 and spend extra time in the car driving to the bridge. I'd like to do Profile Trail and get to the the more interesting stuff, but that may be a bit ambitious especially depending on the weather and trail conditions.

Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    If you have 3-4 hours Profile to Calloway is pretty rad. This time of year you can still appreciate the change in ecosystems as you ascend. If you don't have the time my favorite trail is the Cragway. You can still access the South side from 221. You can go up or down the Cragway. I like going up personally.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If you have 3-4 hours Profile to Calloway is pretty rad. This time of year you can still appreciate the change in ecosystems as you ascend. If you don't have the time my favorite trail is the Cragway. You can still access the South side from 221. You can go up or down the Cragway. I like going up personally.
    Perfect, thanks!

mtbr member
    Linville Gorge should also be on your hike hit list. Sitting Bear and Hawksbill are epic. It's usually a few degrees warmer than Grandfather.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Linville Gorge should also be on your hike hit list. Sitting Bear and Hawksbill are epic. It's usually a few degrees warmer than Grandfather.
    Good to know. I've hiked there but it was quick so would like to go back. I'll add those trails to the list. I was going to ask you for recommendations but didn't want to keep nagging

mtbr member
    Not nagging at all, here to help.