Wilson Ridge to Schoolhouse- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wilson Ridge to Schoolhouse

We are looking at doing a shuttle run or two using this route. Can anyone elaborate on the parking at the top of Wilson Ridge and the campground?

How is the roads up to the parking up top? Rough?

Wilson Ridge to Schoolhouse-schoolhouse.png
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    90 usually isn't as bad as Globe Rd. That's kind of a short route for a shuttle. By the time you adjusted cars for another "run" you could be halfway back up 90. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i like the woodruff/schoolhouse figure 8 myself. if you want to shuttle out the climb on 90 by parking by the campground and driving up to 21 jumps it'll cut out a chunk.

mtbr member
    Not to hijack the thread, but is it not possible to connect Lower Thorp's Creek with Schoolhouse Ridge (map I have names it Upper Thorp's Creek) as shown in the posted image from Trailforks?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yes definitely. There were a lot of trees down on Thorpes not too long ago. Mike from Terra Tek did a lot of work in there I am sure he will give you the beta.

mtbr member
    Yeah we cut 30+ trees off last winter but I'm sure there are more down again. It's a pretty cool way to climb back up to Wilson Ridge after dropping schoolhouse. We usually ride it in the winter months when the gravel roads are soft. Lots of creek crossings so avoid it if you don't like getting off your bike on a ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    Yeah we cut 30+ trees off last winter but I'm sure there are more down again. It's a pretty cool way to climb back up to Wilson Ridge after dropping schoolhouse. We usually ride it in the winter months when the gravel roads are soft. Lots of creek crossings so avoid it if you don't like getting off your bike on a ride.
    Very helpful. Thanks. We don't mind Creek crossings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If you are going to shuttle WR>Schoolhouse beware that there are still some fairly decent climbs so not sure I'd want to do it on a DH bike... though SH certainly warrants it!

There's plenty of parking at the top and the road is in decent shape.

mtbr member
    Just going to throw this out there: If you are considering shuttling xc trails then you should consider spending a day at a bike park instead. Just a suggestion, if shuttling stuff is your thing more power to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Just going to throw this out there: If you are considering shuttling xc trails then you should consider spending a day at a bike park instead. Just a suggestion, if shuttling stuff is your thing more power to you.
    I'm with you here. I don't get shutting most trails in the general area. Often it takes just as long to ride the gravel or hike the bike to get you back to the top as it does to load up the car and drive. Plus riding uphill makes you a stronger DH rider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    I'm with you here. I don't get shutting most trails in the general area. Often it takes just as long to ride the gravel or hike the bike to get you back to the top as it does to load up the car and drive. Plus riding uphill makes you a stronger DH rider.

Uh... How else are you going to drink a couple beers pre-descent? I aint pedaling 36oz of IPA up hill for 45 mintues....

haha
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Uh... How else are you going to drink a couple beers pre-descent? I aint pedaling 36oz of IPA up hill for 45 mintues....

haha
    You need the right equipment. This one accommodates night riding.

mtbr member
    Fill it full of Red Bull and I'm down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Late to this thread but heading up here this weekend for the first time. How do these routes sound to most of you all that are familiar with the area?

From Campground - ride up 90 > school house ridge rd > Upper Edgemont down upper Wilson rd. to schoolhouse ridge

Up Roseboro rd. then down Yancy ridge as a second ride.

Also, as for camping. I'm not big on staying in campgrounds, are there sites along the creek that are not part of the FS campground on some of the roads in the area? How is the fly fishing there?

mtbr member
    Those routes sound good for a 3-4 hour ride depending on stops etc. You are in for a lot of gravel as I am sure you can tell from the map. I haven't ridden any of Wilson Ridge in a while so I am not sure what kind of shape it is in. Yancey Ridge was in good shape a few months ago but there could be some trees down by now. Are you planning on going up to Old House Gap or are you going to take a right on Old Short Yancey (Rockhouse Creek Rd on Trailforks)? You won't miss anything if you don't go all the way to Old House Gap. It's mainly logging road and wide double track to the intersection of Rockhouse Creek rd. There are some off map local trails, just stay on the super obvious track and you are good. When you pass a gate heading South with big anti moto/atv mounds you will know you are on the right trail. The trail undulates with some fun downhill sections. There are several easy/moderate climbs until the last ridgeline/gully descent to Roseboro rd. Be advised the only trail sign you will see on your route is the Wilson Ridge sign just off 90. Make sure after the gate you turn South, there is a faint trail to the North but that will take you to towards Woodruff/Globe.
    As far as what bike to ride, the only section you would want a full suspension is the very end of Schoohouse and parts of Yancey Ridge. Otherwise those trails are pretty tame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The closest road side camping to Mortimer/Edgemont is on Roseboro Rd... there's one really nice one about a mile up from Edgemont right on the creek but it's very popular. After that there are other sites but a lot of them don't have water access.

I don't fish but a lot of people do so it must be pretty good.

mtbr member
    Fly Fishing in Wilson sux... just dont do it...
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Fishing - I see lots of people out, have caught very few myself
    Wilson - Not sure
    Camping - It's out there. I would second Roseboro Rd. You might have some success camping around the Lost Cove trailhead/ bottom of Old House Gap.

mtbr member
    The intersection of 58 and 464 is a good spot to camp.

mtbr member
    Careful on Schoolhouse, there's one spot now in particular where you will probably want to hop off and hike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yep, that section is pretty bad... are you aware of any plans that the FS might have to deal with SH? I appreciate a rough trail but I've noticed less and less people are riding it now because of the shape it's in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Yep, that section is pretty bad... are you aware of any plans that the FS might have to deal with SH? I appreciate a rough trail but I've noticed less and less people are riding it now because of the shape it's in.
    Yeah, there is a plan, but it will be a while before anything happens on the ground.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah, there is a plan, but it will be a while before anything happens on the ground.
    Good to know, thanks for the info.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Looking forward to that! Thanks for the 411 Mike.

mtbr member
    No worries. You will see work happening on the first 1.5 miles of Schoolhouse Ridge starting in the spring to just get it up to spec and draining better to keep it the way it is, and then a more in-depth mission on the actual descent down to Mortimer in the near future. That requires the NEPA process and that takes time, but it will allow us to move the trail out of corridor in some spots to get a better alignment.

YEM
    Deadhead Biker
    This is all great news. Mike, if you need an energy boost while working down there we've got some honey for ya!
    One man gathers what another man spills....
    -Jerry Garcia & Robert Hunter

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I was able to ride Yancey ridge this weekend, the last mile or so was rutted pretty bad, parts of it were unrideable, but a fun trail none the less.

Camping was a shit show up there. There was a bike race Saturday morning and we got lucky finding a site off of a side rd. off Roseboro. Not as much camping up there as I expected. Saturday morning we were able to find a spot on the creek though which was awesome. We got lucky finding it as I had to walk a ways off the road to find it.

mtbr member
    Any trees down on Yancey? Those ruts are more rideable than you might think. Follow a fast local like Moto Mike, he'll show you the way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Any trees down on Yancey? Those ruts are more rideable than you might think. Follow a fast local like Moto Mike, he'll show you the way.
    yeah, it's certainly all rideable! as of two weeks ago some of the trees had been cleared...maybe just one or two big ones stil down but it's about as clear as it's been in some time. harpers is starting to get cleared. imma try to do woodruff tomorrow. buddy did some on beehive last week...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yea, still a few trees down towards the bottom but if I remember correctly you could ride over most of them, nothing major. I was able to ride some of the rutted areas but man I'd love to see some video of someone cleaning all those sections!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo81MdWtUtU Not Yancy but similar trail with the deep ruts. Skip ahead to about 8:30 to watch him crush Schoolhouse

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Schoolhouse is really tight but still rideable, he is crushing it in that video, go pros do not do it justice, the drop ins are pretty drastic and you are pretty deep into the erosion in some areas

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    99.9% of people wouldn't be able to ride Phil's lines. Just sayin'.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Any updates on the work on schoolhouse ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind View Post
    Any updates on the work on schoolhouse ?
    hopefully not and it can just get left alone.

mtbr member
    Yeah we’ve been making good progress getting it ready for NEPA later this year for the big work on the descent. That won’t be dig ready till 2019 probably. I’ll be tuning up the top 1.5 miles from schoolhouse rd to the beginning of the main downhill hopefully in June.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuhlman View Post
    hopefully not and it can just get left alone.
    Nope sorry bud we’ve already tried the “do nothing” approach.

mtbr member
    Nope sorry bud we’ve already tried the “do nothing” approach.
    Just let Mike fix it, trust us on this. Unless 6' rain ruts and trees down every 5' are your thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I rode SH on Saturday and while no official work has been done someone has fixed the section that was unrideable before. I managed to clean the DH for the first time in probably a year, so thanks to whoever did that. I agree though, something does need to be done for a long-term solution.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    I rode SH on Saturday and while no official work has been done someone has fixed the section that was unrideable before.
    But were you on a 26r????

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zod View Post
    But were you on a 26r????
    Well yeah of course it wouldn't have been possible on anything else... flat pedals too incase you were wondering.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Well done....

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    DAMMIT DEREK. you know it needs to be left alone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuhlman View Post
    DAMMIT DEREK. you know it needs to be left alone.
    Leaving it alone means we have to close it for good. What would you do? Maybe you should join us and help out so you know what is going on and why instead of commenting from the sidelines. We have a LOT going on. Not liking change isn’t a viable reason for doing nothing.

mtbr member
    F#*@ yeah. Give the armchair engineers shovels instead of keyboards.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    F#*@ yeah. Give the armchair engineers shovels instead of keyboards.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The people I know on this thread do plenty more than just talk shit on the internet and would be happy to help out. At the moment all we can do without breaking the rules in the NF is cut out fallen trees with hand saws and cut back the face slappers... which we all do plenty of up at WC.

mtbr member
    The people I know on this thread do plenty more than just talk shit on the internet and would be happy to help out. At the moment all we can do without breaking the rules in the NF is cut out fallen trees with hand saws and cut back the face slappers... which we all do plenty of up at WC.
    jstuhlman should be thankful that someone as talented and knowledgeable as Mike is doing the work.

If the Forestry service allowed anyone to do trail work the trails would be unrideable after one thunderstorm. Would kind of defeat the purpose of hiring professionals...

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Many a saw I have broken in these woods. Two this year. I heard they weren't intended to cut through full sized trees.... whatever!

I understand both sides of the argument. I ride with and do trail work with jstuhlman, he's an active volunteer with hundreds to thousands of volunteer hours and an experienced trail builder. His concerns are certainly valid. Those of us that have been riding WC forever have an affinity for what WC has always been...rugid, primitive, untamed, technical, and yes eroded. The mountain biking scene is finally growing into this region though and that's gonna bring change. Some of that change I'm going to view as negative...like over manicuring our beloved trails and potentially losing that Wilson Creek feel/magic. Then there's the benefits, the real possibility of (legal) bike access to more of the trails in Wilson Creek and the building of brand new trails and trail systems. It's a lot of give-and-take. I'd just hope that WC would remain technical and nasty AND that CAN exist, even with these erosional related updates to Schoolhouse and other trails. If grant money is there someone is going to do the work. I'm more comfortable with Mike being the person doing it than anyone else. He's local, he's ridden these woods a long time, he'll keep the past in mind. If not Terra Tek or maybe Elevated Trail Design doing the work I'd be super nervous. I'm definitely stuck somewhere in the middle and plan on being involved so my opinion is heard.

mtbr member
    So just so I am understanding the other side of the argument...

You guys feel somewhat entitled to resist progression because you have cut a few trees down with hand saws? You would rather let a trail completely erode to the point that it is no longer rideable because you fear change? What is it that you are afraid of exactly? Finally there is funding allocated to take steps to preserve trails and forge mutual respect with various agencies. Yet you are resistant because of fear and ego. Get over yourselves and embrace it. From my side of the fence it seems like some of you would rather trails be truly shut down just so nobody else can ride them. Wilson Creek will still be Wilson creek even after legitimate trail work. You guys have no idea how lucky we are to have guys like Mike involved. I get that you want to keep Wilson Creek primitive and raw. Some much needed and professionally engineered trail work in a few places isn't going to magically transform this part of the forest. Wilson Creek is literally in the middle of nowhere. You think some machine work is going to turn Edgemont or Mortimer into Brevard? Get over yourselves, seriously.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    I don't think you really heard what I just said Brad.

mtbr member
    To be clear here, I am not locked in to perform the work on the Schoolhouse DH, that will go out to contract and I will be competing with other companies. However, I have been involved in this for about two years now and have been involved in designing the route (with other very motivated riders) as a volunteer because we all want the best for our local woods. The FS has allowed us to make the decisions for the route because we have built trust over many years of working with them- as volunteers and professionally. That’s kinda my point- get involved and you can make decisions on how best to deal with OUR trails. It’s not up to debate whether to do something or not, its “fix it or close it” in regards to this particular trail. And it’s not totally about erosion either, in fact we are keeping the better aligned sections of the existing schoolhouse route. The trail ends on private property and jumps in and out of state property on its way down the hill, which we have been asked to correct.

So with that the whole “hey bro leave it alone” argument is just silly to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zod View Post
    I don't think you really heard what I just said Brad.
    Wasn't directed at you chief, relax.

mtbr member
    Exactly, that's why I don't get the argument. "Leave it alone bro cause I would rather it be closed to everyone than see legitimate trail work". We hope you get the contract Mike.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Thanks for the info Mike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The trail ends on private property and jumps in and out of state property on its way down the hill, which we have been asked to correct.
    When you say private property, do you mean state property rather than NF? (EDIT: I see you did actually say state property). I never have quite understood how the two work together up there.

I know Yancey definitely ends on private property (The Hulls, who own a lot of land around edgemont) and that's why Yancey is not on the official trail list. Any talk of rerouting that? From what I've heard the Hulls aren't too concerned but it wont be official unless it's rerouted... i'm fine with it being unofficial btw!

mtbr member
    Name:  oh-my-god-this-post-gave-me-aids.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  97.6 KB
    walkPABA

mtbr member
    When you say private property, do you mean state property rather than NF? (EDIT: I see you did actually say state property). I never have quite understood how the two work together up there.

I know Yancey definitely ends on private property (The Hulls, who own a lot of land around edgemont) and that's why Yancey is not on the official trail list. Any talk of rerouting that? From what I've heard the Hulls aren't too concerned but it wont be official unless it's rerouted... i'm fine with it being unofficial btw!
    In order for it to be on a map and "legal" the section at the bottom that is on private property has to be rerouted. It doesn't matter if the land owners are ok with it.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    I know Yancey definitely ends on private property (The Hulls, who own a lot of land around edgemont) and that's why Yancey is not on the official trail list. Any talk of rerouting that? From what I've heard the Hulls aren't too concerned but it wont be official unless it's rerouted.
    In order for it to be on a map and "legal" the section at the bottom that is on private property has to be rerouted. It doesn't matter if the land owners are ok with it.
    Hey Chief that's what Derek said!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dbfutrell View Post
    We are looking at doing a shuttle run or two using this route. Can anyone elaborate on the parking at the top of Wilson Ridge and the campground?

How is the roads up to the parking up top? Rough?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schoolhouse.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	319.0 KB 
ID:	1153666
    Just to remind everyone, this is the original post...not sure how we degraded into mountain bike civil war...who cares if someone doesn't like what's going on with a build and comments online, that literally happens on EVERY single trail change ever...I like wilsons, appreciate the builders, like how rugged it is, and sure the changes will be grest

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    A thread is not a thread until it derails!

mtbr member

Yeah man, it jumps in and out of NC state property (fish & wildlife I believe) and at the very end pretty close to where Bill Vines trail splits off it hits private property. Same situation with Yancey, but much more private land.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I don't see any private property on the Caldwell county GIS but I'm sure they have a good reason and it's not just an excuse to sanitize SH ;-) .... triggered!