Wilson Creek ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Wilson Creek ride

I am going to ride Wilson Creek Saturday if anyone is interested. Hoping to find Yancy's (never ridden) then Beehive, Greentown, etc. I am an early bird so planning on wheels on dirt by 8am, leaving from Mortimer. Hoping to be off the bike by 2, ordering a beer at Fonta Flora by 3.

*edit to correct my kook grammar. I always thought it was possessive, like at one point it belonged to a family named Wilson, and thus was their creek.
    Last edited by 2morrow; 05-07-2015 at 03:32 PM.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    What a strange route - yancey - beehive - green town .... Starting at Mortimer? Glwwc
    I'll be there too but not riding at 8am

mtbr member
    Wilson Creek, it's WILSON CREEK! Sorry, it drives me nuts when everyone pluralizes the names of everything around there. Enjoy the ride, sounds like a doozy. You may be better off linking up Yancey Ridge with some other stuff closer to it, but either way, a day in the forest is a good day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yancy's is fairly easy to find and navigate. The most common way is to come up Old house Gap Rd (192) from Roseboro then hang a right at the top (Old House Gap)...left is Beacon heights (MTS). Once you take that right and go around the gate and head up the hill, the trail forks... take the left fork. On the next descent (after a fairly flat section) there is another fork... this time take a right. After that you just go straight all the way to Edgemont. Have fun, the trail has about 5 great downhill sections... and of course some uphill to match.

mtbr member
    Even long Yancey Ridge (also not pluralized lol) has a few turns. If you hit the anti-moto dirt mounds after about 1.5 miles from the Old House Gap saddle then it is smooth sailing from there. There are a few "re-routes" due to erosion toward the bottom. I must say that is a strange route unless you want to do a lot of gravel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If I took Rockhouse Creek Rd. (451) does that cut off singletrack? I realize it's a weird route, but I need a long day in the woods. It's been a rough week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    451 is the short Yancey Ridge. Per the directions earlier in the thread take a right @ old house gap and climb up to the left. For the full Yancey bear left instead of going right on 451. This trail rides the ridge all the way into Edgemont. Have not been back there for a while so cannot comment on the current conditions but be prepared for some serious sh1t. MTB doesn't get much more exposed, would not recommend solo first time in this back country setting. A longer day if you are looking for more upon completion, spin 90 up towards Schoolhouse/Crocker Trail and bomb that. You will probably be all good after that.

mtbr member
    "Short Yancey" is just a gravel road now FYI.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The trail was in descent enough shape. The last mile would definitely benefit from some heavy brushing. A couple places I wanted to speed up but the brush made it hard to see far enough ahead. It would not hurt that trail any to have a few more sets of tires on it. Everyone's directions were spot on, thanks.

mtbr member
    Hope you didn't get dusted out with all that gravel! Glad you had a good ride, weather was spectacular.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ended up having to cut it short due to running out of time. If you include Old House Gap Rd. as gravel then it came out to be around 50 gravel/ 50 singletrack. That climb reminded me of Mitchel Toll Road up to Heartbreak which is my favorite climb in the area so I didn't mind that section at all. If you include that as "other" it came out a few miles in favor of trails.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    So what did you end up riding?
    Ohg-yancey-hwy?181?-green town -beehive- Craig creek rd- back to Edgemont? Still such a strange route if so

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ohg - yancey - singletrack - chestnut mtn - greentown. 33 miles and a little under 5,000ft of climbing.

mtbr member
    Wow that's a long day. You climbed 181 just to run Greentown? Better just to reverse raider's camp imo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sounds like a good day in the mtns either way. There isn't usually much traffic on the roads anyway (though there was quite a bit on Saturday due to the amazing weather). How was Chestnut? I'm assuming you came up from the raiders side and down to beehive? That RAB up Chestnut is a killer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    oh and Sugar_Brad, I believe it's "Raider Camp"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    All you need to know is that climbing up to heartbreak is one of his favorite climbs. Damn 5000' of climbing even beats heartbreak. What bike were you on 2morrow?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Sorry I messed up, I had to skip Greentown and Beehive (maybe next time) but did ride down Raiders. So up Chestnut mtn (the actual mtn, not just the road) then down Raiders. Riding my Horsethief.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    oh and Sugar_Brad, I believe it's "Raider Camp"
    Glad someone caught my sarcasm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2morrow View Post
    Sorry I messed up, I had to skip Greentown and Beehive (maybe next time) but did ride down Raiders. So up Chestnut mtn (the actual mtn, not just the road) then down Raiders. Riding my Horsethief.
    Chestnut is actually pretty fun from that direction. Sort of tight once it starts on the north side. It is fun to reverse Raider Camp from the 58 side and then climb the north side of Chestnut.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    you people are weird

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Never ridden down Raider Camp, how does it compare to say Beehive? I'm thinking about doing the Rasp - Greentown - Raider - Sinkhole ride when up there this summer. I've done the same ride before but went down Beehive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Raiders is fun, not as steep and crazy as Beehive. The ride from the Harpers parking lot up to Sinkhole sucks though!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I like Beehive but it's just a little short. Raiders at least feels a bit longer but not nearly as technical and during the summer you definitely have to be on the lookout for other trail users. Other than wildlife, no one is coming up Beehive.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Yeah beehive is one of those steep short DHs, I kinda prefer the more shallow drawn out trails myself so Raiders may be a good choice. The climb up to sinkhole does look pretty crappy on a map though...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    True but that said Beehive is still one of the best DH sections that I know of in the whole Pisgah area.... and to call it short isn't really fair. I would guess it's twice as long as the longest DH run at Beech.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    True. I didn't mean to downplay Beehive, it's a sweet trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    don't mind [email protected]'s just old; the climb up craig creek is fine pound for pound, raiders remains my favorite overall trail in WC. if you haven't tried it, you should.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hahaha, that's true but his tag says "Shortcutting Hikabiker" which sounds a lot like my riding style, I'm guessing he probably feels the same way about long gravel road climbs

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hey guys I have a question about connecting Greentown to Beehive. Been up to the Wilson a few time and have only gotten to ride Headley and Beehive. Was up there camping and riding last week and had a map that showed Greentown connecting to a gravel road which then lead to Beehive. Well, when my buddy's and I rode greentown we ended up at the bottom in a campsite, continued through a rhododendron tunnel and then crossing the creek. This lead us to what i'm guessing was a old trail which we decided to hike a bike to the top to be disappointed and lost. So my questions is did we miss something? how do you connect it once you're at the bottom of greentown?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    When you get to the campsite at the bottom of GT, you hang a right and cross the creek right at the campsite. Once across the creek take the left fork. You then ride about three miles of gradual uphill until you get to a gate. Shortly after the gate you go right at the tee (left is raider camp), beehive is about another third of a mile up the hill. Get the avenza app and the pisgah map company map and you can't go wrong !

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Damn wish i had know that now! thanks for the reply! we had quite the adventure that day haha.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Well I've always wondered what would happen if you went straight ahead... Now I know :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Has anyone ridden Yancy in the last few weeks? What condition is it in? Trying to decide if I can do it and link up some more or if I should bring a saw and just commit to taking my time and cleaning the trail up some.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have been told that as of last weekend the final descent in to Edgemont is clear as far as trees are concerned. I cut the brush back at the start of the summer but that started to come back... As for the rest of the trail, I couldn't say as I haven't ridden it for a while but might be riding it Saturday. Think I'll be carrying a saw this weekend too... bound to be some stuff down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I rode Yancey on Tuesday and can only remember a few trees down,one that would definitely require a chainsaw. The trail is pretty tight the last couple of miles before you get to the gullies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Just got done with it today. Had to walk the climbs towards the end mainly because I am out of shape but the overgrowth didn't help any. Cut one tree out of the way and kicked some logs off as well. With the colors, temp, and the rest of the trail, definitely worth the trip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    1. There is no shame in walking sections.
    2. If you are going to make a ride-around around a heavily eroded section, at least take the time to make it sustainable. Otherwise in 5 years we will just have 2 heavily eroded sections.
    3. Take down all your tape when you are done.
    Last edited by ToMorrow; 10-25-2015 at 06:56 PM.