Wilson Creek / Lost Cove Trail Suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wilson Creek / Lost Cove Trail Suggestions

I am putting together a route from North to South in the Appalachians and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for trails in the Wilson Creek, Lost Cove or Table Rock area? I rode Wilson Ridge last year and it seemed a little out of sorts, so I am hoping for insight on undocumented trails. Thanks!
    -------------------------------------------------
    bikepacking.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yancys Ridge. It's not really marked well on the maps but it definitely exists... I think most of it is an old logging road... it has some great downhill runs. It's going to be hard to find out about undocumented trails here... that stuff is word of mouth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Yancys Ridge. It's not really marked well on the maps but it definitely exists... I think most of it is an old logging road... it has some great downhill runs. It's going to be hard to find out about undocumented trails here... that stuff is word of mouth.
    Yeah, I figured as much. I have heard of Yancys Ridge... I will look into it. Thanks!
    bikepacking.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You are going to want someone who has ridden wilson's to lead you anyway. I would just decide on a time you will be in the area and post up to see if anyone wants to ride then. Never hurts to have a shuttle driver and/or some cold ones to offer in exchange. Once you get here, if no one replies to you, then you could just ride rocky knob, the xc trails at beech and depending on the time of year the lift at beech as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty22c View Post
    You are going to want someone who has ridden wilson's to lead you anyway. I would just decide on a time you will be in the area and post up to see if anyone wants to ride then. Never hurts to have a shuttle driver and/or some cold ones to offer in exchange. Once you get here, if no one replies to you, then you could just ride rocky knob, the xc trails at beech and depending on the time of year the lift at beech as well.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have ridden down there a bit, and did a fair share of backpacking around there back in my college days. I am just looking for trails I might not know about in order to string together something for a 6 day bikepacking route from Boone to Brevard...
    bikepacking.com

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Avenza map program on your phone and the grandfather east trail map and You won't get lost.

mtbr member
    Hmm, that does look pretty handy. Thanks!
    bikepacking.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Are you planning on riding the trails weighted down or will you set up camp and then ride? I agree with matty22c, post when you will be there and someone will likely show you around if you are looking for undocumented trails. Sounds like a great trip!

Some Assembly Required
    Let me remind those concerned: Wilson's sux.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Just plan on riding through, loaded. Not looking to play around or anything just looking for a good northeast to southwest through route... thanks!
    bikepacking.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    if you're riding solo with a fully loaded pack, etc, you're gonna want a route that sticks to the forest roads, methinks. there are a couple options off the parkway. avenza maps app will be helpful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuhlman View Post
    if you're riding solo with a fully loaded pack, etc, you're gonna want a route that sticks to the forest roads, methinks. there are a couple options off the parkway. avenza maps app will be helpful.
    Yeah, right now I am thinking this as a through route from Boone. Lots of FSRs, and a little to much tar, but hopefully I connect some more dirt in there:

Winklers Creek Rd. > Flannery Fork > B.R. Parkway > Hollaway Mtn. Rd. > Blowing Rock Hwy. > Pilot Ridge Rd. > Edgemont Rd. > Pineola > Old Mortimer > 181 > 183 > Old 105 > Paddy’s Creek Rd.
    bikepacking.com