Wilson Creek Flooding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wilson Creek Flooding

We've all seen what happened to GRGL and Saluda in general. I'm also seeing reports of flooding in Wilson Creek area. River exceeded flood stage in less than 12 hours (4 to 16 feet). Looks like some roads are washed out. Mortimer campground flooded and now closed. Anyone seen or heard more?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Several bridges on Edgemont Rd were damaged. Lower trails like Woodruff, Thorpe's, and Schoolhouse are in bad shape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Several bridges on Edgemont Rd were damaged. Lower trails like Woodruff, Thorpe's, and Schoolhouse are in bad shape.
    Tropical Depression Alberto was named today - one to watch over coming days. We can't take much more here in Luda, with already saturated conditions....le yikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Everything's a wreck in Wilson's Creek, and I don't see the federal budget fixing it in the short term. 221 is out between Linville and BR, as well as the BRP, so access is compromised.
    Grandfather district is about timber production and fire suppression, it's not a mtb destination. The best National Forest bet is, and always has been to ride the sure thing, Pisgah District in Brevard...you won't get lost.
    The big draw in the Grandfather area are the Beech and Sugar bike parks.
    Friends of DuPont supporter

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Tropical Depression Alberto was named today - one to watch over coming days. We can't take much more here in Luda, with already saturated conditions....le yikes.
    I know. This all sucks. Cove Creek big & little Bradley are my favorite hiking trails. I'm curious how those faired. I believe those parking areas are currently inaccessible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind View Post
    Everything's a wreck in Wilson's Creek, and I don't see the federal budget fixing it in the short term. 221 is out between Linville and BR, as well as the BRP, so access is compromised.
    Grandfather district is about timber production and fire suppression, it's not a mtb destination. The best National Forest bet is, and always has been to ride the sure thing, Pisgah District in Brevard...you won't get lost.
    The big draw in the Grandfather area are the Beech and Sugar bike parks.
    Didn't ask you. Please do not reply to my posts or send me any more PMs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Do what I did to you, put me on your ignore list, but don't try and tell me where to post... and remember the first two rules of fight club. Adios.

mtbr member
    Woodruff is wrecked. Iím nervous the FS will shut the whole thing down when they see it. Safety has been compromised in a bad way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks, Mike.The road coming up from the newly built Wilson's Ridge trail to the old 21 jumps parking area is washed out too as of last weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind View Post
    Do what I did to you, put me on your ignore list, but don't try and tell me where to post... and remember the first two rules of fight club. Adios.
    First off, people can talk about Wilson Creek all they want. Just so you know, there are bike LEGAL trails in Wilson, in case your Alzheimer's is getting the best of you. Get yourself a map and educate yourself. In addition, there are forest roads that ANYONE may ride. And there are hiking trails that some of us like to hike. So discussing Wilson's Creek is not forbidden. What IS forbidden is riding on trails CLOSED to bikes.

It seems like you recently came out of hibernation after many years and decided to revisit the forums to give input nobody is asking for, and to pretend you are the authority on who should ride what trails. Many of us have been riding those areas longer than you have been an ass, which is apparently a very, VERY long time. Adios indeed.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    First off, people can talk about Wilson Creek all they want. Just so you know, there are bike LEGAL trails in Wilson, in case your Alzheimer's is getting the best of you. Get yourself a map and educate yourself. In addition, there are forest roads that ANYONE may ride. And there are hiking trails that some of us like to hike. So discussing Wilson's Creek is not forbidden. What IS forbidden is riding on trails CLOSED to bikes.

It seems like you recently came out of hibernation after many years and decided to revisit the forums to give input nobody is asking for, and to pretend you are the authority on who should ride what trails. Many of us have been riding those areas longer than you have been an ass, which is apparently a very, VERY long time. Adios indeed.

Perfect. This, for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I rode Yancey Ridge last Sunday (20th) after the first bout of rain/floods. The top double track section has gotten more washed out and now presents a pretty good challenge. The rest of the trail was mostly unchanged. Old House Gap was pretty rough too but all rideable... just rockier.

I drove out on BMB road and it was a bit of a mess but passable. I did it again on Sunday and Monday just gone and it had been fixed in a few of the worst spots but still ok up as far as I went (Edgemont). Didn't get to ride there this weekend as the rain came in on Sunday afternoon.

As far as I know Roseboro Rd still has a huge ditch in it at top when leaving Edgemont. It been that way for a while. Wouldn't try to get through it in anything less than a 4wd with decent clearance.

mtbr member
    Well, looks like same area got hammered again with 8-10 inches of rain over the weekend. Bridge on Edgemont is plugged with trees and may be damaged. We were planning on riding/camping out there weekend of 6/22 and 6/29. If anyone can report back conditions, it would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm headed up there this weekend for some backpacking and fishing. I'll report back if anything is closed.

mtbr member
    Pulled this off a FB group.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Awesome! thanks for the info. I'm headed up the Lost Cove Gragg Prong area. Taking the Rover instead of the outback, so I should be gtg. I'll update on monday if I find any issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    All of roseboro rd was it good shape, minus a few sections on the edge missing from landslides. But they were all roped off and allowed enough room to pass. The section of Edgemont rd between roseboro and brown mountain brushy and all of brown mountain brushy were all in good shape.
    Saw a decent amount of folks at hunt fish falls and I'm pretty sure all of them were accessing from pineola rd. So folks were getting down pineola, just not sure what they were driving.

mtbr member
    Ok. Thanks for following up.