Wilkesboro/Kerr Scott Trails - OVT route suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wilkesboro/Kerr Scott Trails - OVT route suggestions

Heading up to The Kerr Scott trails in a few weeks for some riding and camping for my birthday. We're staying @ Bandits Roost. We've never been there before so I've been reading as much as I can to get ready.

My biggest question is route suggestion for the OVT. My idea is to ride out of our camp site @ Bandits Roost onto OVT and do the whole trail out and back. What is the best direction to hit the side loops Shiners Run and Hortons Hollar (upper/lower berrys)? Should we stay on the OVT main trail all the way to the other end, then hit the side loops on the return, or hit them on the way out and ride main trail back? Not sure which direction the side loops are best ridden in.

Plan is to drive up early Friday AM, ride OVT then come back and setup camp. Saturday we'll go over and do Warriors Creek and Headwaters. Sunday we will do Dark Mountain before we head home.

Thanks for any tips and ideas you can provide, looking forward to the weekend!

mtbr member
    Ill start this by saying I have only rode the trails twice. What is nice about these trails are that they are good any directions. Im sure one way might have better downhill or climbs but one could argue for either way. I like Horton Hollar the best. Lots of berms and its just fun. Enjoy, it is a fun place to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Do warrior counter clockwise.... I'll second the fact that either way you do OVT is great... Don't get too excited about head waters loop...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm sure you are back home, but I will post this for future reference. OVT and Shiners is great in any direction but Horton's holler is much much better going from berry mtn road towards bandits roost campground. The lower section it doesn't matter much, but the upper section was made to flow in that direction hands down.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Great info here. I'll be coming to Boone for 6 days this weekend and it looks like I'll have a day to ride. The plan is to ride everything at Kerr Scott, but perhaps drive over to Warrior Creek from OVT in the sake of time. I'm hoping to also have enough time in the day to do a lap or two at Rocky Knob. Question for the locals: Does all of that seem doable in 7 hours? I'll be renting a bike, so will have a 10-6p ride window. I'll be escaping the AZ heat & rocks for this and am quite stoked to hit new terrain. I'm used to long (8+ hours) day rides out here for reference. Sounds like these trails generally ride fast for the average rider.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    Great info here. I'll be coming to Boone for 6 days this weekend and it looks like I'll have a day to ride. The plan is to ride everything at Kerr Scott, but perhaps drive over to Warrior Creek from OVT in the sake of time. I'm hoping to also have enough time in the day to do a lap or two at Rocky Knob. Question for the locals: Does all of that seem doable in 7 hours? I'll be renting a bike, so will have a 10-6p ride window. I'll be escaping the AZ heat & rocks for this and am quite stoked to hit new terrain. I'm used to long (8+ hours) day rides out here for reference. Sounds like these trails generally ride fast for the average rider.
    Doable maybe, but if you are planning on rocky knob, you will want to do more than one lap, which might mess up your time line. All of ovt out an back is around 17 miles, dark mtn, close to 8, wc about 16 if you do it headwaters aswell. So that's over 40 miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by man.cave View Post
    Doable maybe, but if you are planning on rocky knob, you will want to do more than one lap, which might mess up your time line. All of ovt out an back is around 17 miles, dark mtn, close to 8, wc about 16 if you do it headwaters aswell. So that's over 40 miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Agree with everything here. That is a tight window, especially when drive time is involved.

I would say skip dark mountain *if* you are going to make it to RK with sufficient ride time. Enjoy the fast flow @ the lake and hit some more technical trail with climbs at RK. Good luck!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Thanks for the input fellas, exactly what I needed to hear. Perhaps I'll start with Warrior Creek, then shoot over to OVT. When I get back to the car I'll see how I'm doing on time in re: to Dark Mtn. I was looking at the trails on Trailforks and see that Dark Mtn. has a series of trails and 2-track? On Trailforks, it looks like it's just showing an outer loop of sorts, which would be fine. I don't need to ride every inch of trail. Ha!

A few years ago we were in Boone during the colder months and did some hiking over at Rocky Knob. I believe it was a month after the article in Mountain Flyer Mag. I knew back then that I needed to check it out on a bike. Cheers!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff