• 05-24-2011
    ong
    Wild Turkey in Greensboro, NC (plus retro content!)
    I used to ride at Lake Brandt back in the early 90's (on my full rigid elevated chainstay Alpinestars). There was only one trail back then: I think it was what you're now calling Piedmont + Reedy Fork, connecting Battleground to Church. It was pretty gnarly, rooty, and rocky, with a few stream crossings and more than a few giant logs to clear. I broke a lot of bike parts out there, but always had a good time... in fact, sometimes I'd do about eight road miles out to the West trailhead, ride through to the East side, and do about six road miles in to work, by which point I'd be pretty much coated in some mixture of blood, mud, and sweat.

Anyway, I moved away from the area in 1993, and hadn't been back to ride in a long time (I live in Portland, OR now). I came out just last month, with my 2005-ish Salsa El Santo, and rode Wild Turkey. Oh, man, things have come a long way! To whomever was responsible for building that trail, I just wanted to say: that was a really awesome job. No blood to speak of, but it was such a blast Loved all the whoops, the banked turns, the sweet little rocky bits, and the fast, rolling ride. After I finished, I turned around and did it again... It's so great to see a network of trails out there. Nice work!

Anyone remember the old mountain bike park between Greensboro and Jamestown? I think it was $35 a year to join, and you would have to ride out through a cemetery to get to the trailheads. That was an amazing place to ride... still have a lot of fond memories of flying over the bars out there. It's all subdivisions now, I guess.
  • 05-26-2011
    go-pirates
    Wild Turkey is awesome! Owl's Roost is nearby, too. If you get a chance, check it out. You can connect the two.