Why So much? for a Charity Ride?- Mtbr.com
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem

Why So much? for a Charity Ride?

Save The Trails Challenge June 18th

total fee for those who register on site is 55.00 for SORBA members / 65.00 for non members then add the active.com surcharge + the price of gas... seems a little steep

seems to me keepin' it cheaper would draw more people to come out and participate. (In my opinion)

Green Wrencher
    That does sound like a steep entry fee. Is there some freebies I missed in reading?

mtbr member
    I'm sure there was some thought put into the actual entry fee. The cost of doing business has gone up across the board, why is this different? People will vote with their wallets I'm sure.

Know your market. IMO $65 + fees is on par w/ other events of this nature especially considering that it goes right back into our trails. What do roadies pay for cookie rides?
    My one says BRAP!

pronounced may-duh
    Look again Brad...

Price is 45.00 for members and 55.00 for non members. Day of registration is 10.00 extra. Perhaps you were looking at the day of prices.

Either way, the price was raised 10.00 from what it was for the last 3 years. It was not my decision and that's the end of my comments on the matter.

What was the price for the Paris Mtn DH?

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7 View Post

What was the price for the Paris Mtn DH?
    and that was for a Race that had Cash Payouts of $2000 and another $5k in prize payouts

this year it'll be $30 pre $40 day off +5 USAC day license shhhh don't tell anyone yet

Quote Originally Posted by Maida7 View Post

Look again Brad
    Aye you're sneaky basterd

mtbr member
    I was thinking of doing the Meals on Wheels 100K ride in Asheville this Saturday, until I learned it was $55. Did the Fletcher Flyer last year, but am skipping it this year 'cause I thought it was a bit pricey. But I will pay $60 to ride around in circles for 6 hours and just get a T-shirt and hamburger out of it. Or $80 to ride Farlow Gap at the Swank. Go figure.

It seems that most of the road events around here are sponsored by various Rotary clubs. They must have a Rotary club manual that says charge $30 for pre-reg and $40 for same-day registration, since that's how much most of them tend to be.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    Disclaimer: I do this for a "living"

Cycling events are insanely expensive to put on. Insurance costs, land use permits, law enforcement, paramedics, portajohns, volunteer meals, signage, numbers, and timing all ad up quickly. Then you try to spend money on marketing (ads, posters) prizes, and hopefully cover your gas going to a bazillion meetings wih the land managers and law enforcement, volunteer meetings, and designing and setting, and cleaning up the course. After all that, you are trying to make enough money to justify (at least to your wife) your time and/or raise money for your nonprofit partners. In the old days, there were sponsors who perceived cyclists as a valuable demographic and would come up with cash. Those companiess are now more rare than 64mm elastomer forks. If it rains, or it turns out people just are not interested in the event, the promoter risks losing thousands, to say nothing of the hundreds of hours spent planning the event. The upside - that 350 people show up and there are no last minute hidden costs (no show ambulance, no running water, land manager accidentally booked a giant church event for the same day) is maybe 4 or 5K. As a rule, an event is lucky to break even, and a big success if it clears a couple grand. Maybe other promoters do a lot better, but $50 for a well organized event that supports the trails seems like a pretty good deal to me
    Last edited by stackout; 05-26-2011 at 06:12 PM.

banned
    I say double the price! If riding all of your favorite trails at Dupont backwards and throwing in alot of gravel is your thing then go for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    all I want to know is.....is it too late to train for this?

mtbr member
    file under: if yous aint got nuttin' nice to say column...
    My one says BRAP!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Plume was 10000000% right when he wrote vote with your wallet! If you don't like the price, don't pay it. As far as I know all the events mentioned in this thread are on public roads and trails that are open year round.

Let's say Blue Ridge Productions charges $200 for ORAMM and it sells out....is $200 too much? Apparently not.

For me $9+ for a movie is ridiculous, so I rarely go to the movies.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

Official Cooler Inspector
    "Those companiess are now more rare than 64mm elastomer forks."

(Not laughing at companiess - had forgot about the elastomer systems. Thanks for the chuckle.)

Good post.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

drunken pirate
    Is anyone actually going to show up for this? How many people did it last year?

The flyer I saw today said $55 for members which to me is outrageous for an untimed charity event where you get nothing.... It says the money is going to build and maintain trails and I have to wonder which trails those would be...

The funny thing is if they made this a race it could be a HUGE success at this price point. It would sell out and everyone would be happy.

PAS
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    Is anyone actually going to show up for this? How many people did it last year?

The flyer I saw today said $55 for members which to me is outrageous for an untimed charity event where you get nothing.... It says the money is going to build and maintain trails and I have to wonder which trails those would be...

The funny thing is if they made this a race it could be a HUGE success at this price point. It would sell out and everyone would be happy.

PAS
    Its for charity

Green Wrencher
    I guess when i hear "charity." I think incurable illnesses and medical bills for lil' Johnny and his family... not upkeep of the trails.

If it's just for the trails, why not $20-30? They aren't even giving away a t-shirt..That would make it much cooler. "1st Annual...." Something to remember and possibly do again the next year.

Members who have read this thread: 1