Whos ridden Buckwheat knob to Avery creek?- Mtbr.com
    I HUCK WITH CHUCK

Whos ridden Buckwheat knob to Avery creek?

If you havent, you need to. We rode this trail today, and it was such a great downhill. Its the first big one I have tested my SGS on, and it was so fun. The climb up was kind of lame on a big bike, but the DH had log pile hits and drops and tons of rocks everywhere. It was dope. It was so fast down that trail, and it was a perfect trail to rail on a 7 inch bike, if you like DH stuff, do it, its up there with bennet gap. I love pisgah. Just had to get that out.

Heads up Flyboy!!

The way I prefer it

I have climbed up 477 to hook up with Buckwheat knob and then down Avery's Creek. The way I perfer to do this ride if I am doing it as a shorter one is to park at the stables, climb up 477 to Avery's creek and drop in. Take a right on the log bridge to Buckhorn Gap, up Clawhammer, up Black Mountain by the shelter. Once your at the top of Avery's Creek trail you have a choice. Take a left and go down a super fast mildly technical Avery's Creek or stay straight climbing Buckwheat knob and then begin a nice mildly technical downhill with a few steep sections thrown, cross over 477 up Bennet Gap and down Satan's staircase. I have not been able to clear this section all at one time without dabbing on my hardtail. After the big rock drop I take a left onto the rippin Perry's Cove. Doing it this way is about 12 miles and then you can always add the climb up Clawhammer to Maxwell Cove take a right onto Black Mountain, left onto Thrift Cove, left on Grassy Road, Right on Sycamore Cove, cross 276 ride North Slope and then take 276 back to 477 and the stables. This provides a good way to do a long ride and offer bail outs for riders that don't know if they can handle the distance.

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Yeah, that sounds pretty nice, but I HATE climbing clawhammer. Bennet gap and Perry Cove are two of my favorites for sure. I can clean every section on Bennet, but havent done it without dabbing in a sequence. I either dab on the rock step switchback, but clean the drop line, or clean the rock step switchback but dab on the drop line. I have ridden basically every trail at one time or another in your description, but never connected them. Im more of a DH guy than distances.

Also, you called the descent to 477 from buckwheat knob "mildly technical" but then said you had never cleaned all of Bennet. Walking up buckwheat it looked steeper than bennet in a lot of sections, but bennet looks unridable if you look up it, but its my favorite trail. Avery creek was so rippin on a big bike. I loved it.

Heads up Flyboy!!

Buckwheat is steeper

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtfulPirate
    Yeah, that sounds pretty nice, but I HATE climbing clawhammer. Bennet gap and Perry Cove are two of my favorites for sure. I can clean every section on Bennet, but havent done it without dabbing in a sequence. I either dab on the rock step switchback, but clean the drop line, or clean the rock step switchback but dab on the drop line. I have ridden basically every trail at one time or another in your description, but never connected them. Im more of a DH guy than distances.

Also, you called the descent to 477 from buckwheat knob "mildly technical" but then said you had never cleaned all of Bennet. Walking up buckwheat it looked steeper than bennet in a lot of sections, but bennet looks unridable if you look up it, but its my favorite trail. Avery creek was so rippin on a big bike. I loved it.
    Buckwheat is steeper in places then Bennet Gap. Its all ridable though. I did the whole thing this past Sunday, made it down a couple of ledges on Bennet and up that short rock ledge climb and then had to walk a few short sections.
    With Bennet its all in how I feel. I've made it through all of it except the big rock drop at least once but never in a row and never the big rock drop. I base it all on how " in the zone" I am for that day.You must also realize that I am riding a large size hardtail with 4 inches of travel up front.

Jeremy

Cyclist

I've done Mountain goats ride

he describes. Truly a great ride. And I couldn't make a couple of Satan's steps either.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    I've made it through all of it except the big rock drop at least once but never in a row and never the big rock drop. I base it all on how " in the zone" I am for that day.You must also realize that I am riding a large size hardtail with 4 inches of travel up front.

Jeremy

Very understandable, I am riding a 7 inch travel freeride bike, but I havent ridden bennet on it yet. Last time I rode bennet, I was on my temporary Hardtail with a 5 inch fork. I have cleaned every section on it on that bike, except for that little step climb. I dont go off the rock drop, its a tricky, but fully doable line around it. I have much more trouble on the rock step switchback, its a tight line for sure. I love that trail though, I need to get back to both buckwheat and bennet. i think I am shuttling trace and spencer sunday, not my favorites, but Im always up for pisgah.

Members who have read this thread: 1