Who is the best wheel builder around Asheville?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Who is the best wheel builder around Asheville?

I'm needing to get a new set of custom wheels built and don't want I9s. Who is the best wheel builder around Asheville?

ohhman

Jimi

Jimi at The Hub is the Best... Has been doing it for too long!!!

mtbr member
    My vote is Andy Grabowski at ChainHeart.

banned
    chainheart?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    chainheart?
    You know? The Studio?

mtbr member

Gabe.....
    Scott Hoffman...........not a famous wheel builder or anything but he's been in the bike bizz for a long time and has built a few sets for me without any problems..... EVER. He works at Liberty (sales).
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mtbr member

Wes D.

Not that I have a lot of experience in having custom wheels built but... Wes built a set of Chris Kings on DT Swiss 4d rims, that sounds about right, and they have been true through and through. For several years now. No problems. I also have a couple of sets of I-9's and have bent spokes, a couple a year. With his experience at Cane Creek I do not think you could go wrong.
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    +1 for Wes @ Sycamore

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i'm adding another point for Wes @ Sycamore Cycles. although I've heard about some guy named Broussard who may do it for a few cases of Natty Lite...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Kip Smith at Lucky Bikes (Greenville) has been building my wheels for 20 years. I had two done at the "HUB". My son's wheel got sold to us by the HUB (Don't know if they built it), and after every 5 miles the hub came lose. We were told it was suppose to losen and we would just have to stop and retighten it. Guess who got it right?? Why Kip Smith!!!! Kipp is temporarily broken, but could probably build a durn good wheel with the arm that is only half broken.

The other wheel we got built at the hub, the hub was in put in backward. Sycamore fixed that.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bysmom
    Kip Smith at Lucky Bikes (Greenville) has been building my wheels for 20 years. I had two done at the "HUB". My son's wheel got sold to us by the HUB (Don't know if they built it), and after every 5 miles the hub came lose. We were told it was suppose to losen and we would just have to stop and retighten it. Guess who got it right?? Why Kip Smith!!!! Kipp is temporarily broken, but could probably build a durn good wheel with the arm that is only half broken.

The other wheel we got built at the hub, the hub was in put in backward. Sycamore fixed that.
    I know who thehubsucks person is now.

ohhman
    Good thing it wasn't a handbuilt. A Hawley machine built wheel... sounds. Like it wasn't backwards and if it was. You would have gotten a new one free.

banned
    The problem around here is that it seems all the wheel builders want to make a small fortune off of every set they build. A wheel builder in Michigan can build a wheel set that is just as good as anything around here and alot less money....just MHO! If I could get a set of Hope Pro II hubs laced to Stan's hoops for around $430 around here locally....I would not be getting them shipped from up north.

ohhman

thief! good find.

Who is he stealing hubs from?

banned

Oem

Quote Originally Posted by salmansp
    Who is he stealing hubs from?
    I guess he's getting hubs and hoops below wholesale. I have had two sets built by him and seen several others getting thier wheels from him and he builds a good wheel.

ohhman
    Wish I could get some below wholesale Clown-Wheeled (29) bikes and sell them to everyone Cheep. They seem to be popular.

Single Speed Junkie
    Jan 2008

Lucky Bikes contact #

Could you pm me Kip's number? I used to ride with him back in the 90's and would like to catch up with him.

Thanks,
    Mike

banned
    All this tak about Mtb wheels is making me hungry. Lets get ole moonpie to set-up another one of them late night excursions!

ohhman
    I'm game. Just a couple more late nights @ the shop before a Grand Opening and I can ride bikes again. I have a good ride planned out... and Pisgah Pale on Draft for afterwards.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    My vote is Andy Grabowski at ChainHeart.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the replies

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    I know who thehubsucks person is now.
    I'm just not recommending them to build a wheel unless they got some new talent in there since last summer. The slogan you mentioned isn't my style. The kid's wheel upset me because I was fed the line after going back 4 or 5 times, and the wheel was dangerous. I passed it off as inexperienced mechanics. I still wish Sam the best of luck and have been back for tires, and gloves.

AshevilleMike: Will send you Kip's cell # when I find my phone. He was getting ready to open his new shop when he had a crash. The Lucky Bikes shop number is probably available with Greenville information.

mtbr member
    Bainon Corsey from Hearns. He hates bikers now though. Too much whining from bikers made him quit riding a bike and went to the dirtbike.

ohhman

New Help is here

We have new help for sure! Jimi from the Fatz is our full-time Service Manager and we have weeded out the splinter. A new face and feel @ The Hub + Beer + New location and brands!

I'm just not recommending them to build a wheel unless they got some new talent in there since last summer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    sam hutchens at boone bike. not exactly asheville but not exactly walmart either - he'll even use brass spoke washers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    My vote is for Than White super happy with his wheelbuilds

suspension wrench
    Jan 2005
    I second Than White @ Liberty Bikes...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Thanks

There for a minute, I thought I wasn't going to make the list. Thanks for the kind words.
    -Than

eschewing obfuscation
    Quote Originally Posted by mike r
    I second Than White @ Liberty Bikes...

than white at liberty is the best mechanic i've ever encountered - and a great wheel builder, too.
    i like andy at chainheart too; tons of experience building wheels in europe on the pro tour, though i've never had him build me wheels.
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

mtbr member
    Historically, 'Clown-Wheeled bikes' have small wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by salmansp
    Wish I could get some below wholesale Clown-Wheeled (29) bikes and sell them to everyone Cheep. They seem to be popular.

Members who have read this thread: 1