Whirlwind trip to Asheville for Thanksgiving.- Mtbr.com
    Dirt Bound

Whirlwind trip to Asheville for Thanksgiving.

Hey,

The wife and I are grabbing the dog and kiddo to visit her sis in Asheville for Thanksgiving. I'll have either Friday or Saturday to play. I'd like to hit up Bent Creek with someone who knows the area. The only time I've been there, I was on my own and rode up to the ridge and down and around without any idea where I was really going. I came out somewhere up on the Blueridge and the tunnels were a bit sporty without lights.

Also open to suggestions bearing in mind I'll be on an XC SS, so no big drops.

Whose riding in the region on Friday or Saturday.

since 4/10/2009
    I'm not sure what my ride plans will look like, but I'll probably get out at some point if the weather holds out. I hate cold rain, so if it gets wet again, I'll probably be staying warm somewhere. I expect if the weather is decent, that any trails relatively close to town will be pretty busy. Last weekend the weather was ideal fall weather, and BC was busier than I ever saw it during the summertime.

Right now (too early to make immutable plans), Friday looks like the better of the two days in your schedule. Current forecast shows rain moving in on Friday night. I'm sure that'll change, so we'll see which direction that goes. If you're lucky, it'll get pushed back to Sunday by the time the weekend rolls around.

You'd be well served to get your hands on some of the trail maps of the area. The Pisgah Map Co maps are available on the Avenza app. You could also use Trailforks or MTBProject (though trailforks is better in BC/Pisgah) or pick up hard copies of the maps at any bike/outdoor shop in town. I roll with hard copies, personally. Been using the Pisgah Map Co maps for almost 15yrs now.

Dirt Bound
    Thanks, I saw that Friday PM and Saturday look to be a wash. As you said though, things such as weather have a way of changing. Unless everything weatherwise completely falls to pieces, I'll be bringing a bike and hoping for the best.

I as well prefer hard copy maps. I picked up the Dupont map at The Hub when CX Nats were happening.

It's too hot! SuperModerator
    Thursday would be your best day to ride. Sunday may or may not be ok, depending on how much rain we'll get.

since 4/10/2009
    Thursday does look to have an amazing forecast, but Friday will probably be fine if you get out before the rain shows up.

Dirt Bound
    Thanks!

Is there anything I should know with regards to hunting? Anywhere I should avoid? I don't want to mess up anybody's hunt.

I think we'll get to town around 11:00AM. We're leaving in an hour or so. I don't believe Thursday will be in the cards. As well, we're leaving on Sunday around 9:00AM, which should leave me about an hour before I leave for work on Monday...

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

PM me if you want to ride Friday in the AM. I'll shoot you my cell #.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Re View Post
    Thanks!

Is there anything I should know with regards to hunting? Anywhere I should avoid? I don't want to mess up anybody's hunt.

I think we'll get to town around 11:00AM. We're leaving in an hour or so. I don't believe Thursday will be in the cards. As well, we're leaving on Sunday around 9:00AM, which should leave me about an hour before I leave for work on Monday...

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

PM me if you want to ride Friday in the AM. I'll shoot you my cell #.
    There is hunting. Some are not so responsible. Wear bright clothing, if not hunter orange. I encountered a hunter hiking out of an outlying area at Bent Creek on Mon evening, and our exchange was friendly.

But there are not tons of hunters out as I have seen in some areas. Hunters who really want to get something seek out quieter and more remote places.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

It's too hot! SuperModerator
    More hunters go to Dupont than BC. I haven't seen a single one in BC yet.

mtbr member
    There used to be lots and lots of hunters in BC and I still see them. Saw somebody carrying a tree stand last week.

Throughout BC, there are multiple maintained wildlife clearings. One by Deerfield trail (go figure), one at the far end of explorer, one off the middle of lower sidehill, off the top of my head. A lot of folks used to hunt around the old lake bed right by Rice Pinnacle too (the clearing right after the paved path used to be a man made pond). In general, in these dense woods, any clearing with good line of sight is where you want to pay the most attention. Unfortunately, this includes fire roads.

Early mornings are the most popular time for hunting.

Have fun, despite my way too many words above, I never worry about it. Living in fear is no fun at all.

since 4/10/2009
    I heard a gunshot in a different part of BC on the same ride where I saw a hunter. So they're out there.