Where to stay in Ashville?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Where to stay in Ashville?

The wife and I are headed to Ashville for 4 or 5 days next week. Can anyone recommend where to stay?

We will be driving out each day to the trails even if they are an hour+ away. But in the afternoons and evening we will be looking for good pubs, bars, restaurants, hangouts, music venues, bike shops, etc...

We like to avoid chain establishments and enjoy hunting for unique experiences.

Besides lodging, i guess we are wanting to know if there are areas of town and neighborhoods good for these kinds of leisure activities.

P.S. we plan on riding probably 4 days but wouldn't mind throwing in a rafting day or anything else you might suggest. I've seen a few rafting tours online, but would welcome a recommendation there too!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

mtbr member
    Downtown Asheville, and the areas around it within walking distance, has everything you could need, except lodging.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry68 View Post
    Downtown Asheville, and the areas around it within walking distance, has everything you could need, except lodging.
    ?? Downtown Asheville has lodging!

Official Cooler Inspector
    Why not try your plan in reverse? Pappas & Beer nearby. Save your food dollars and visit more breweries. Note: Bele Chere is next weekend. Lodging could be an issue this close to the date.

Asheville Bed and Breakfast,Asheville B&B, Bent Creek Lodge, Blue Ridge Parkway Lodging
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Here is another option for cabins right on the French Broad River. 5 minutes to Bent Creek, 15 minutes to N. Mills river/Pisgah, 40 minutes to Dupont, 20 minutes to Downtown.

Asheville Cabin Rentals | North Carolina Cabins | Rental Cabins | Parkwaylane.com

Big Mac
    Man, you people are all over the place! They want to stay in town, near the bars, food establishments etc...op, try the Haywood Park hotel, spendy, but nice, and right in the heart of Asheville.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for all of the replies! We decided to stay along the French Broad River at Parkaway Lane. Looks nice, quiet and not a bad price. I would have liked to stay in downtown but things are pretty booked up at this late date. And moving our bikes into a hotel every day in a downtown hotel also kinda deterred me.

I'm so excited to visit Asheville. We've heard so many good things about the town.

If anybody has a must-visit bar, pub, tavern, restaurant, etc please keep the suggestions coming! And your favorite trails too!

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Staying in Asheville downtown would have been the best decision, except for the whole Belle Chere thing. Not sure who told you the trails were 1hour + away, but they aren't.

The best restaurant in A'ville is the Admiral, but it stays booked up...you'll have to hurry and reserve, and still prob. have to take 5 or 9 oclock. Other good dinner restaurants are Zambra, Storm Rhum Bar, Curate, The junction. Great places for lunch are 12 Bones (bbq and ribs), Sunny Point, White Duck Taco, Laughing Seed and the food truck lot on Coxe ave.

Neighborhoods: Downtown of course you will need more than 1 afternoon to explore, W. Asheville is a funky street to walk around,Biltmore Village has more middle-age, middle class stores like Williams Sonoma and Brooks Brothers, but also the interesting home gallery New Morning Gallery.

Go up to the Grove Park inn and have a cocktail on the terrace down the steps from the dining area (the food sucks there and is expensive). The view at sunset (or anytime) is unreal. The next night at sunset, go up to Sky Bar on Battery Park. Cool bike shop called Hearns is like a museum. Seen a Y bike lately? The River Arts District has tons of artist studios in a revitalizing section of town , that's where you find White Duck and The Junction and also a brewery called the Wedge where you can go hang in the parking lot and drink their draft and prob catch some food trucks later in the day. I prefer to drink local beer on tap, but my beer snob friends are very impressed with Thirsty Monk, which has a lot of expensive Belgian bottles and the like. Orange Peel is the biggest music venue although there are a number of others (that where I saw Smashing Pumpkins in "residency"). Saturday City Market on Charlotte street is foodie fantasy land from 8-1.

I could go on (obviously) let me know what you would like elaborated upon.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by inkerpok View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies! We decided to stay along the French Broad River at Parkaway Lane. Looks nice, quiet and not a bad price. I would have liked to stay in downtown but things are pretty booked up at this late date. And moving our bikes into a hotel every day in a downtown hotel also kinda deterred me.

I'm so excited to visit Asheville. We've heard so many good things about the town.

If anybody has a must-visit bar, pub, tavern, restaurant, etc please keep the suggestions coming! And your favorite trails too!

Thanks again
    Cool. You can walk up the road and grab a beer at my house since my neigborhood backs up to those cabins.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Litespeedchick,
    You're the man! : ). Awesome info. We aren't planning on doing too much fancy restaurant dining but I will check them all out. The lunch places all sound cool!

Thanks for the brewery tip, we love hitting the local breweries (Portland rocked our world!) and will take any more of those ideas that you have.

And what are some other cool bike shops?

Thx,
    Inkerpok

mtbr member
    Pisgah Brewing a short drive to the little town of Black Mtn. (there's riding out there, too)

Beers | French Broad Brewery

I like the above + Wedge the best for quality of beer, but there are others: asheville, The Brew-Hoppers Guide to Asheville

Biowheels is another good bike shop right in town, Liberty is probably the biggest with the most selection of stuff but it's out of town on Hwy 25 near the Blue Ridge Parkway (another think you need to do...drive around on the parkway)

None of the "dinner" restaurants I suggested are particularly fancy. The Admiral is in a cinder block building on the wrong side of town...my husband sent one of his friends there and he had to spend 10 minutes coaching his snooty wife to go in the place. It's a unique vibe w/ foodies taking pictures of their food next to homeless-looking dudes ordering PBRs at the bar. The FOOD however, is very fancy, and you can drop some coin there. It's a special place, hard to get in now that the NY Times wrote it up.

Like "Romantic Asheville" on facebook and you'll see a lot of general tourist ideas. Also you can look at The Junction's fb posts....they serve lunch, dinner and cocktails and the owner is the nicest guy ever. He just moved back to NC from Portland and says he loved the vibe in the River Arts District. I'm becoming obsessed w/ the sweet tea brined fried chicken and habanero margaritas. http://thejunctionasheville.com/

Damn... the Chamber of commerce ought to pay me...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Why Asheville? Down To Earth Cottages in Brevard is between Dupont and Pisgah. Cute, clean and great location. Brevard has great restaurants, and local beer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    ?? Downtown Asheville has lodging!
    Yes, but it was already booked up for Bele Chere (thus I have a house full of In-Laws )

Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick View Post
    The Admiral is in a cinder block building on the wrong side of town...my husband sent one of his friends there and he had to spend 10 minutes coaching his snooty wife to go in the place. It's a unique vibe w/ foodies taking pictures of their food next to homeless-looking dudes ordering PBRs at the bar. The FOOD however, is very fancy, and you can drop some coin there. It's a special place, hard to get in now that the NY Times wrote it up.
    This. The Admiral is almost a "must experience"... if you can get a reservation.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    All due respect, there is not a single even *good* restaurant in Brevard, let alone great. The only even decent places are Pescados, Sora, and the Thai place whose name I can never remember. IMHO, of course. Brevard is cute and clean, and i think it would be a great place to grow up or retire, but it's not a place to vacation.

Official Cooler Inspector
    People have complained about the many hotels being built in Asheville, but there was a time when the city had to "lodge" stranded travelers in a gym. Granted, that was before computers, Folks would plan a vacation and just assume there would be plenty of opportunities in or near town.

I made many new friends that I still keep in touch with who camped in my back yard. (The house was taken in advance.)
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
    Cool. You can walk up the road and grab a beer at my house since my neigborhood backs up to those cabins.
    That's my hood also. Sounds like we need to have a block party.

Quote Originally Posted by inkerpok View Post

Thanks again
    Good choice. I was thinking the same thing about dealing with the bikes in a downtown hotel. Downtown is an awesome place for the pubs, etc. and these other guys know way more than me since I've only lived in South Asheville for a year.

A few places in South Asheville very near the Parkway Lane cabins that you may want to check out:

Stone Ridge Tavern & Papas and Beer are about 2 miles North on Hwy 191.

Avery Creek Pizza/Pub is about 2 miles South on Hwy 191.

Biltmore Park Town Square is about 3 miles Southeast off Long Shoals Rd. and has some pretty decent restaurants/pubs along with shopping (REI) and movie theater.
    http://www.facebook.com/BiltmoreParkTownSquare

I make light things heavy
    Can anyone qualify where precisely "Downtown" is? I'm looking to find a hotel near the cool part of town that would allow for riding or walking to these destinations. Thank you very much. I'm looking forward to visiting Asheville in September.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by hrsjqb1 View Post
    Can anyone qualify where precisely "Downtown" is? I'm looking to find a hotel near the cool part of town that would allow for riding or walking to these destinations. Thank you very much. I'm looking forward to visiting Asheville in September.
    Area code 28801, east of South French Broad, south of I 240, west of Charlotte street and north of Hillard is what I would consider downtown proper.

https://www.google.com/search?q=down...e+map&tbm=isch
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

I make light things heavy
    Thank you very much that helps a lot.

Members who have read this thread: 0