Where to ride when wet, or after a rain.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Where to ride when wet, or after a rain.

A lot has changed since I rode bikes 10+ years ago, when many trails were open all the time. Just looking for places to ride after a rain within a couple hours from Hickory. Don't want to miss a ride on the weekend if possible. I understand closing trails, and not looking to get into a discussion about that. Simply looking for a short conaolidated list of places that are likely to remain open. If there is a website that has this info, when trails are open/closed live, then that would be helpful too.

mtbr member
    DuPont State Forest in Brevard NC. Issaqueena trail system in Clemson Experimental Forest. Pleasant Ridge County Park in Marietta SC. First two never officially close (Dupont has only closed once in the past several years that I can remember). PRCP used to close when trail was new, but is now usually open unless they get a ton of rain. All the areas above drain pretty well and quickly. Of course Pisgah never closes, but some of those trails don't benefit from wet riding.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Just an hour away up in Boone, Rocky Knob doesn't close for rain. The only time the trails close is when the freeze/thaw cycle in the winter gets bad enough.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks. Used to ride Dupont. Elevation definitely helps. Not sure I am in shape enough for Dupont at this point, but something to consider. Seems most of the trails out this way are now managed and close with rain. I used to ride the whitewater center before it was the whitewater center, and it never closed. Seems to be a thing of the past unless I travel west.

Will have to dig out my old maps and do some research on how to keep up with when trails close.