Where to ride in Chapel Hill, North Carolina?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Where to ride in Chapel Hill, North Carolina?

I'm from the Philippines and I'll be visiting North Carolina in a month, specifically Chapel Hill. Was told by my cousin that mountain biking is pretty big there. I really want to get a ride or two during my stay since I haven't really tried biking in the US. Just want to get an idea what kind of riding is available there. XC, AM or DH? Is it popssible to rent bikes? Are there bike parks? Hope you guys can help me plan a ride or two there. By the way, if I were given the choice I'd prefer to ride AM trails but I'm willing to try XC, DH or bike parks. TIA!

mini clyde
    http://trianglemtb.com/ lists the trails in the area. All XC on public land, basically.

Not listed is the "Briar Chapel" housing development, just south of Chapel Hill, which has 6+ miles of XC trails. I don't know of a good map for that system, suggest posting on TriangleMTB, perhaps someone would show you around.

Same for suggestions on bike rentals, there are a number of good-to-excellent bike shops in Chapel Hill/Carrboro but I've never rented from any of them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Is there any single track climbing in Chapel Hill? The trianglemtb site only has 2 trails listed in chapel hill Airport and school and not much info else where.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    Is there any single track climbing in Chapel Hill? The trianglemtb site only has 2 trails listed in chapel hill Airport and school and not much info else where.
    Depends on what you consider climbing. School side has longer steeper climbs than airport side but not the sustained climbs you'd find in the mountains. I'd say you'll gain 130ft/mi on school, 105-110ft/mi on airport.

Where do you usually ride?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I live in Scottsdale AZ and ride all over the Valley. However, I travel to NC once a year. I just got back from Asheville and rode Pisgah ( loved it) . I usually end up in Wilmington but I am starting to branch to visit other cities becuase there is no riding in wilmington. I enjoy long climbs and was wondering about chapel hill because I have never been.

mtbr member
    Well no climbing like Pisgah in the Triangle but certainly some fun trails. Chapel Hill is good but there are others in the area as well. New Light seems to be the favorite of some of the more techincal riders that don't want a super groomed trail. I'd post up on the forums at trianglemtb.com for more info or rides with locals.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    New light has been closed for a while. Pisgah is combo of altitude and technical that can't be found elsewhere.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    trianglemtb.com does list Briar Chapel on the home page including the open/closed recommendation and there's also a map on the BC trail page. There are no bike parks. New Light is only open on Sundays during this time of year, hunting season. New Light is the closest thing you could call AM, possibly the school side of Chapel Hill. There are also unofficial trails in the area. I'd second the advise to post on the trianglemtb.com forum when you're in the area and I'm sure locals will show you around. Bike rental possibilities are also listed on trianglemtb.com but that can change from time to time, so you should probably call the local shops.

Jack
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Forgot to mention that Clean Machine in Carboro has a couple of sweet demo tallboys to rent. Check 'em out. 919-967-5104.

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010
    You can always come up to Angler's Ridge in Danville, VA. Not very far from Chapel Hill and def worth the drive. Check out The Southern Virginia Mountain Bike Association for more info.
    2018 YT Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

I live in Raleigh. It's about 40min from CH. If you want I could show you around some of the "local" trails. PM me if you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The airport side is the fun, fast side. The school side is a rat's nest but dries more quickly. Both sides are fun on just about any type of bike, rigid/single to full sus.

I agree with the other posters that the best local info is on trianglemtb.com

Shameless plug: Back Alley Bikes in Chapel Hill has a couple of demo Niners.

Members who have read this thread: 0