When kids really start to ride.......- Mtbr.com
    Gabe.....

When kids really start to ride.......

My chip off the block started riding with SPD's today.................he's starting to follow my line and do as I do.......ain't nothing better. It's gonna be the best summer ever.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

Big Mac
    Nice!

Official Cooler Inspector
    Enjoy this time.... while you can!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    So there are all these kids in the Pisgah/ Dupont area who ride, but there are no riding clubs for kids to get together and challege/support each other. For an area with so much to offer, we should be producing some top notch jr riders out there Poor kids have to try to keep up with their parents. What will it take to build our kids future? Athens has a great team for jrs. Summer is here, time to get these kids out there on the trails. Has anyone ever tried to put something together?

mtbr member
    Congrads! I can't wait!!!!

Are there any good flat trails that you took your kid to to learn on initially,? I know the one in dupont, but around Asheville it is tough.. my 3 and 5 year old are both ready, but I need to find something really flat and simple.. the other thought is Bent Creek park.. I know there is a short track there with a few flat sections as well....

Any other thoughts out there?
    Last edited by Dscarbs; 06-10-2009 at 03:06 AM.

Gabe.....
    Bent Creek is a great place to get them started.......you can start by riding around the lake. The road that runs to the fishing pier is nice and flat. We used to park by the wooden bridge at the bottom of Boyd Branch and do out and backs to the pier.

We have a group of third and fourth graders (usually about 6) that get together on Fridays and ride for about an hour in Bent Creek. All are welcome.

mtbr member
    I'm in Brevard and my son (9) and I head out to Pisgah or Dupont a few times a month. Ridgeline and Jim Branch with some skills area is the Dupont favorite. In Pisgah we like Cemetery and Long Branch. The Cemetery - Long Branch loop is great, only a bit of elevation for the 2 mile ride and if they want more you just turn it around and do it again. The only (small) hill is down in the clockwise direction, and there are a couple of creeks to cross and some other simple single track obstacles. Daniel Ridge clockwise towards Farlow is nice, it's a pretty easy grade most of the way and when they get tired you just turn it around. North Slope is a good challenge when it is in season.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Thanks to both of you.. I didn't think of the flat 'pier' trail, but that's perfect for sure! I willl also look into the pisgah rides, we'll be camping over there this weekend.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bysmom
    So there are all these kids in the Pisgah/ Dupont area who ride, but there are no riding clubs for kids to get together and challege/support each other. For an area with so much to offer, we should be producing some top notch jr riders out there Poor kids have to try to keep up with their parents. What will it take to build our kids future? Athens has a great team for jrs. Summer is here, time to get these kids out there on the trails. Has anyone ever tried to put something together?
    I don't have any kids of my own (I prefer to borrow them for short periods )but I like this idea a lot. What would a jrs team consist of? I really think there would be a lot of support for something like this in Asheville.

Single Speed Junkie
    Jan 2008
    The idea of a kids club is a great idea.

I just took my son to Bent Creek last week. We rode a loop around Boyd's Branch. Great trail for the kids, small climb to get there, then just a nice wide trail that descends, then back to the parking lot. The thing about Bent Creek is that there are trails for all skill levels for the kids. His favorite is still the pump track at Bent Creek Park though.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Leslie Meadows of Asheville Velosports already does a TON of work with local juniors at the track and dirt. In fact they took a team of kids to 12hrs of Tsali this year and they did great.

If anyone is really interested in working with the kids don't re-invent the wheel. Get in touch with Leslie and offer some help.

http://www.ashevillevelosports.com/
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist
    Leslie Meadows of Asheville Velosports already does a TON of work with local juniors at the track and dirt. In fact they took a team of kids to 12hrs of Tsali this year and they did great.

If anyone is really interested in working with the kids don't re-invent the wheel. Get in touch with Leslie and offer some help.

http://www.ashevillevelosports.com/
    Link to the club website. http://www.ashevilleyouthcycling.com/index.html

I also have a kid who rides dirt and 2 younger ones in training. It would be great if we could get a weekly kids ride going. If a few of us parents were willing to work together and take turns leading the ride, it could be a low stress, fun kinda thing.

This website would be realy good for organizing something like that: http://www.meetup.com/

I Rode a Metric Century!
    My son just started riding...he is wobbly still, and does not understand cars and big things can hurt him, but he is doing well. I can not wait for him to ride trails with me. I took him to a park, where there is a paved trail, and some single track, he would ride the paved, and I did a couple of the small single tracks, he kept saying that is cool dad and when I am bigger I want to ride with you. he turns six soon and I want to get him a mini mtb. and get him on the trails soon.

Official Cooler Inspector
    The NC Arboretum can be accessed easily from Hard Times and (not so easy for tiny ones) from Rice Pinnacle parking lots. Very nice level out & back ride along the creek. I see lots of training wheels and streamer Barbie Bikes... some are actually kids.

Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by New to MB
    My son just started riding...he is wobbly still, and does not understand cars and big things can hurt him, but he is doing well. I can not wait for him to ride trails with me. I took him to a park, where there is a paved trail, and some single track, he would ride the paved, and I did a couple of the small single tracks, he kept saying that is cool dad and when I am bigger I want to ride with you. he turns six soon and I want to get him a mini mtb. and get him on the trails soon.
    Get a trail a bike and you can show him a wicked DH he won't forget. I think my 5 year old has nightmares from our last ride.

The 24" wheeled mtn bikes with the full set of gears are very trail worthy. Wait till he can fit one of those. They run about 400.00 new but you can usually find them used. My oldest son has out grown his but it's gonna be a hand me down to his brothers.

mtbr member
    I started my two girls at Davidson River campground at ages 4 and 7 after they graduated from Fletcher Park. We then moved on to the Fish Hatchery/ Davidson River Trail/ Cove Creek Campground in/out. I can still hear them screaming as we "bombed" back toward the hatchery on Davidson River Trail. We later moved up to DuPont(Kid's Trail/ Thanks Ed!) and built up to a loop with Ridgeline and Jim Branch. Last month I took them to Turkeypen and rode all the way to Cantrell Cr Lodge and back. I hooked a bungie to the 9 year old while the 12 year old took off up the road back to the parking lot. She dropped us and we didn't see her again until we got to the parking lot. Seeing that little girl climbing the steeper sections and leaving little digs as she stood on it almost brought tears to my eyes. Hearing them squeal as we went down hills was as good as it gets, believe me!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I checked the Velosport website, nothing listed for jr mtn bike program. I'm looking into it. Is anyone interested in a jr ride in Dupont Sat? We're riding from Fawn Lake parking lot at 9:30 and getting a swim in too. We'll hit Air Strip, add on as we want, drop out and swim when ready.

pronounced may-duh
    I checked the Velosport website, nothing listed for jr mtn bike program. I'm looking into it. Is anyone interested in a jr ride in Dupont Sat? We're riding from Fawn Lake parking lot at 9:30 and getting a swim in too. We'll hit Air Strip, add on as we want, drop out and swim when ready.
    I'd join you but my junior is unfortunately out of town this weekend.

mtbr member
    Meh! My son is off to camp for a week on Friday otherwise we would join for sure.
    I like the meetup idea, maybe we should start a group to make it easier to find kids group rides..
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    We live near Azalea Park, there is some great flat trail between the soccer fields and the river and also on the east side of the river. My 5 yr old loves it there. He is also a huge fan of Boyd Branch trail at Bent Creek, ride up the trail, throw rocks in the water and ride back down.

WNC Native
    I also like this is idea of dupont meeting for youth rides. However my daughter will be out of town Saturday also.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes
    We live near Azalea Park, there is some great flat trail between the soccer fields and the river and also on the east side of the river. My 5 yr old loves it there. He is also a huge fan of Boyd Branch trail at Bent Creek, ride up the trail, throw rocks in the water and ride back down.
    I live over near azalea myself... just looking for something a little more exciting.. looks like boyd branch will be a good bet for sure.

Single Speed Junkie
    Jan 2008

Warren Wilson

For you guys who live near Azalea, the WWC trails are pretty nice too. The Dam Pasture trail is nice and not very difficult-we do that one sometimes (go into the woods across the street from the church).

This weekend is out for us too.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, I was wondering about that one too ashevillemike, if I remember corrrectly, that one is pretty flat as well, at least for a little while..

Single Speed Junkie
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dscarbs
    Oh yeah, I was wondering about that one too ashevillemike, if I remember corrrectly, that one is pretty flat as well, at least for a little while..

Yes it is pretty flat and a great trail for the kids. Maybe a couple of miles. You can stop by the WWC library and they'll give you a map. There are a few trails that aren't on the map but you'll figure it out. Just stay off of the river trail and they won't get upset. River trail is just for walking.

Gabe.....
    WWC rocks for sure (one of my favorites).......but recently I heard that signage has gone up saying that the trails around the campus area are only for students and faculty.

Apr 2007
    Here's some info on the WWC trails from someone who knows the issues as well as anyone.

That trail system is in a major state of flux right now. It's seen a several hundred percent increase in use in just the past few years and it's resulting in some heartburn from many angles at the school. It's a perfect example of being loved to death, or close to it.

They no longer give out maps because they're trying to cut down on user numbers. And they've recently posted several signs. The biggest of which, and they pertain to the whole campus, are about no parking on the sides of roads/in fields/etc and no dogs off leash. And they point out that it's private land, not a public park. Some are for use issues. For instance, the area known as Suicide Ridge (behind the soccer fields area) is posted no visitors, only students/faculty/staff and no bikes there at all. No bikes on the river trail at all either. The Dam Pasture area is just posted for no dogs off leash and no parking on the sides of roads and the standard "hold harmless" language.

That all being said, the Dam Pasture trails are good beginner trails and I wouldn't call them totally flat but are more interesting than Azalea. There are a couple spots out there that are definitly not beginner friendly because they are steep, but they'd be hike's less than a couple hundred yards. There are a couple miles of trails there and so far no one is complaining about bikes and visitors out there.

Have fun!

Members who have read this thread: 0