What's new in DuPont?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What's new in DuPont?

I heard there were new (or recently re-opened) trails in DuPont. Where are they and are any of them somewhat technical or all machine cut? Thx.

Rogue Exterminator
    Bracken is out in Brevard near Dupont.
    Nice trail and worth a visit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It depends on how long its been since you last rode at Dupont. The lastest work, as of July 4th weekend, that I am aware of, was on Reasonover Creek, & MIne Mountain. Since all of the trails within Dupont are multi use, they are generally reworked to conform to the needs of all users. That said, Reasonover is a blast to ride, along with all of the other "newly" done trails Another trail, Hilltop Trail is one of my favorites, it was put in about 1-2 years ago and gives riders an option to stay in the woods rather than riding Lake Imaging Road between the intersection with Hilltop, Locust down to the intersection of Lake Imaging & Conservation Road.

mtbr member
    Thx. Last time I rode it was probably last fall.

mtbr member
    This is a good resource for knowing:

http://www.dupontforest.com/pdf/Fore...eport32712.pdf
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Dig it!
    Most of the Fawn Lake side was reworked with machines over the winter. As was Cornmill Shoals, Airport, and the Bottom of Wilke. I know there is more I am not mentioning. Grassy Creek had a short reroute at the bottom and is much less technical.

Don't expect a trail to be technical after it gets reworked, unless it is MTB specific, which is not DRSF policy. Horses don't like technical.

I spoke with Ed at Trail Dynamics about the new armored "sidewalk" on the most technical section of Cornmill, and he said that DRSF made them come back and put in twice as much armoring as they originally had in that section. Now a beginning rider with stamina can roll through it. Before the rework I could only clear it about 1 out of 3 attempts, it was a good challenge for me personally.

All that being said the trails are catered toward MTBs and pretty entertaining, IMO. Everyone I see riding there seems to be pretty happy.
    Should you do more trail work?

mtbr member
    Exactly. I rode Reasonover for only the 2nd time last week and Mine Mountain/Laurel View for the first. I felt kind of guilty enjoying machine-worked, smooth, non-technical trails...but I was grinning the whole time regardless.

Members who have read this thread: 0