What's a good 50 mile Pisgah route?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What's a good 50 mile Pisgah route?

I'm looking for a good 50 mile route in Pisgah South Ranger district before DST ends. I'd like to avoid things that slow down average pace, like hike-a-bike sections and creek crossings. I also would like to keep roads to a minimum. So far I've got the preliminary route in mind:

Turkeypen lot to Mullinax to Squirrel to South Mills to Buckhorn to Black to Club Gap to 276 to 1206 to Laurel to MST/BRP (hiking my bike) to Big Creek to some combination of trails to 1206 to Bradley Creek Rd to some combination of trails back to car.

I've been getting 30-40 mile rides in at Pisgah each ride this year, so I'd like to see if I can go the distance to 50. My average pace is 7-8 MPH. I plan to have pedals down around 8-8:30 and be out of the forest by 5-5:30.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    I'm looking for a good 50 mile route in Pisgah South Ranger district before DST ends. I'd like to avoid things that slow down average pace, like hike-a-bike sections and creek crossings. I also would like to keep roads to a minimum. So far I've got the preliminary route in mind

Any suggestions?
    I'd guess its nearly impossible to do 50 miles in Pisgah without hike-a-bike and/or creek crossings unless you just do laps on smaller loops. The route you posted has plenty of hike-a-bike and creek crossings so I say embrace it... Pisgah riding IS hike-a-bikes and creek crossings. Thats what makes it great and adventurous. However...

Start in Bent Creek and ride as much trail as you can to get up and over the gap. Then do Spencer/Fletcher to N. Mills trail to Yellow Gap Trail then out to Laurel-Pilot, then Funnel Top to Horse cove to Squirrel to S. Mills/Buckhorn to Black-Buckwheat-Bennett, up claw hammer to Black mtn to Turkey Pen to S. Mills-Mullinax-Squirrel to Laurel Cr. to Bradley Cr. Road to 1206 into N. Mills then lower Trace, up Trace to Spencer, down Spencer to 5000 and back down into Bent Creek where you can continue to ride until you hit 50 miles.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    I'd guess its nearly impossible to do 50 miles in Pisgah without hike-a-bike and/or creek crossings unless you just do laps on smaller loops. The route you posted has plenty of hike-a-bike and creek crossings so I say embrace it... Pisgah riding IS hike-a-bikes and creek crossings. Thats what makes it great and adventurous. However...

Start in Bent Creek and ride as much trail as you can to get up and over the gap. Then do Spencer/Fletcher to N. Mills trail to Yellow Gap Trail then out to Laurel-Pilot, then Funnel Top to Horse cove to Squirrel to S. Mills/Buckhorn to Black-Buckwheat-Bennett, up claw hammer to Black mtn to Turkey Pen to S. Mills-Mullinax-Squirrel to Laurel Cr. to Bradley Cr. Road to 1206 into N. Mills then lower Trace, up Trace to Spencer, down Spencer to 5000 and back down into Bent Creek where you can continue to ride until you hit 50 miles.
    Aside from the end of Laurel to the parkway, where is there more hike-a-bike? I've been on everything on that route, and it's all rideable (at least for me), IIRC. Maybe Black to Club Gap?

I'd rather not enter via Bent Creek.

mtbr member
    Yes, hiking up the stairs to get up and over Black plus some hike-a-bike there, I believe.

since 4/10/2009
    What about if, instead of dropping down Club Gap to 276, you took Buckwheat to Bennett to Avery Crk Rd., up to Buckhorn Gap, then up to Clawhammer, then down Buckhorn Gap, to S. Mills, 476, 1206, and then to Laurel Mtn.?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The Pink Beds Connector trail (PB to SMR) opens up Oct. 15. Would cut out a good bit of gravel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Aside from the end of Laurel to the parkway, where is there more hike-a-bike?
    The only proper hike-a-bike is between the end of laurel and the beginning of Pilot. I always count hiking-only trails as hike-a-bikes since they arent legally ride-able even if they are totally ride-able.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    The only proper hike-a-bike is between the end of laurel and the beginning of Pilot. I always count hiking-only trails as hike-a-bikes since they arent legally ride-able even if they are totally ride-able.
    Ah, I see. Yes. The MST/BRP section will definitely be hike-a-bike, even though it really wouldn't be hike-a-bike.

...and after looking at the elevation profiles, it may be better for me to start at North Mills. Laurel is the tallest climb on the route and would be best with fresh legs.

mtbr member
    2 25 mile days separated by a good nap sounds like the perfect 50 mile ride to me!
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Raleigh
    ^^^ ... yeah, it does!
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11152127

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    One of my favorite routes below. 45 mi / 7300 ft. Modify as necessary if you really want to hit 50.

Ranger Station
    Clawhammer
    Black to Club
    Down Club
    475b
    225 extension
    Daniel from the top
    475b
    ------couple options below ------
    Davidson River trail - 475b back up
    OR
    up Cove Creek trail to 225 to 475b